C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 loss 3rd and 4th Gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 12:49 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 700R4 loss 3rd and 4th Gears

Went cruising yesterday.....going about 35 mph noticed trans started slipping in third then after 50 mph she supposed to shift up to 4th... in 4th however rpm climbed but car never increased in speed...same thing in 3rd......it slipped in to 3rd however the rpm climbed with no increase in speed......Reverse, 1st, and 2nd work good, so I limped home in 2nd at 30 MPH @ 2000 rpm.......This is a new 700R4 trans installed about a month ago....with 1 year warranty....so any ideas what failed will help prevent the :bs I'll probably get from the shop...Seems like one of the valve bodies inside the trans failed....however I don't know much about trans...hence this post. :seeya Cappy
Old 12-29-2002, 01:37 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 700R4 loss 3rd and 4th Gears (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

What were the max line pressures after you first installed it?
Old 12-29-2002, 01:38 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did this tranny come from? Was it built up or stock? Hopefully it is indeed something stuck in the valve body, but...

Worst case scenario: These transmissions are notorious for frying clutch packs . . . especially if the TV cable is not correctly set. Or if the installers were real idiots, they just left the original kickdown cable in place and didn't install the proper TV cable.

When my 200-4r was installed, the "rubber hammer" mechanics tried to set the TV cable like a kickdown cable :nonod: They thought the pressure gauge setup method was for sissies. I ended up buying a TV Made EZ kit and walked them through the process to ensure it was done right!
Old 12-29-2002, 02:05 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: 700R4 loss 3rd and 4th Gears (page62)

I don't know the max line pressures.....I dropped it off at trans shop and shazzam....instant 700R4.
page62,
This is a police 700R4....It was beefed up by a guy who worked for Hughes Trans and now resides in Hawaii.
The trans shifted very crisp and looked like a strong runner.....however we have slipping.
They did put in the proper T.V. cables and adjust properly......I don't know about clutch packs.....wouldn't the 1st and 2nd be the ones to go first since they take most of the beating during launches?.....I tend to agree with you....there's probably something stuck in the valve body....They will be removing the trans shortly to install Super Yank 3500 Stall Converter....so I guess this is a good time to tear her down again and find out what failed. I don't want any :bs from the trans shop that I caused this trans to fail....it's never had any hard runs at the drag strip since the install... the torque converter is stock .....car is a dog off the line. :seeya Cappy
Old 12-29-2002, 03:00 PM
Magnum '82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '82 had a bad tranny when I bought it, and when the shop opened it up, it was just 3rd and 4th buned up same as yours. Must be the nature of the beast. Mine is no longer stock and holding up well. But, I still wish I had a stick! OH, how I long for a manual tranny!!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 03:23 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

LIke said before here, i'ts the 3/4 clutch pack....just pull it out and replace the clutches...discs are probably fine...poor design...can't take the power...inadequate cooling apparently....go to the ATSG site and d/load the mods necessary to make it live....

GENE
Old 12-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 700R4 loss 3rd and 4th Gears (mrvette)

i didnt want to read this,,,,i am getting ready to install a 700 myself, but the more i read about it the more i want to stay with a 350turbo,,,what is this "ATSG site" do
Old 12-29-2002, 04:10 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

You need to have them pull it and install more clutch plates and ask for Kevlar. I would also ask them if your tranny has the bigger pump. With any kind of slip these clutchess just fry.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:18 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: 700R4 loss 3rd and 4th Gears (Titanium Rat)

TITRAT, it stands for Automatic Transmission Service Group....I think the site comes up with ATSG...do a google search....

the site lists all the mods necessary to do the overhaul reliably...most rebuilders don't have the information....I found it when desperately searching for information to fix my own 700r4 when it chucked the 3/4 clutch pak last spring....NOT a fun job in MY case as I was a stick shift...SO I had to cut the frame rail to get tranny out OR pull the engine again......so the frame rail is bolted in now....did my own custom on that one....at any rate the tranny is now working fine...and tell you what...it takes a certain amount of experiences and of course paying attention to DETAIL....nothing really hard about it....no special tools, just variable action snap ring pliars...and a good clean bench....would be NICE to have one of those illustrated HUGE C clamps to hold the sides of the tranny case at angles...BUT it can be worked around with boards/wood...and a drywall bucket...

tell you what....I"ll fix it MY way next time....when I have more bux to toss at it....I feel NOW I know as much as the average guy rebuilding these things...

GENE
Old 12-29-2002, 04:22 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Do you have the link to ATSG site?....Like gkull states I would like to go the most heavy duty route......Kevlar looks like it might support the HP I'm putting out. Since it's going to come out for the Super Yank 3500 install...might as well put in top notch components.....Thanks for all the info.... :seeya Cappy
Old 12-29-2002, 04:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Try ;
http://www.transonline.com
http://www.astgmiami.com

Automatic Transmission Service Group\
9200 South Dadeland Boulevard sutie 720
Miami Florida 33156

305 670-4161

it's all the information I have on them at this time...as my disc was reformatted and I lost the info....I got this info from a hardcopy manual they publish on the 700r4.....it's the issustrated same as the GM manula for say an '87 vette tranny section...allmost direct reprint....BUT the site on the web here has a whole LONG list of mods to make the damn thing LIVE!!!!

been there seen that...but no money/time made it impossible for me to follow through on all of it....but no question, some of it needed doing...even stilll....that is why I recommend doing your own work on these things...so many times I have had it rammed up my as s over the decades with companies that didn't know...or didn't CARE to do the job right....and this is the LAST time...I hope....

at any rate the rebuild was about 4 years old....and so maybe not so bad, considering the tranny is NOT about being reliable to start with....but in fact all those rebuilder's sites that claim they work miracles...wellllll....look at the ATSG site and you tell ME if you can't do the same...given some time....

GENE
Old 12-29-2002, 04:36 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Try ;
http://www.transonline.com
http://www.astgmiami.com

Automatic Transmission Service Group\
9200 South Dadeland Boulevard sutie 720
Miami Florida 33156

305 670-4161

it's all the information I have on them at this time...as my disc was reformatted and I lost the info....I got this info from a hardcopy manual they publish on the 700r4.....it's the issustrated same as the GM manula for say an '87 vette tranny section...allmost direct reprint....BUT the site on the web here has a whole LONG list of mods to make the damn thing LIVE!!!!

been there seen that...but no money/time made it impossible for me to follow through on all of it....but no question, some of it needed doing...even stilll....that is why I recommend doing your own work on these things...so many times I have had it rammed up my as s over the decades with companies that didn't know...or didn't CARE to do the job right....and this is the LAST time...I hope....

at any rate the rebuild was about 4 years old....and so maybe not so bad, considering the tranny is NOT about being reliable to start with....but in fact all those rebuilder's sites that claim they work miracles...wellllll....look at the ATSG site and you tell ME if you can't do the same...given some time....

OH BTW... it was 2x in and out and pan off 3x before I got it right....and that was just a simple 3/4 clutch pak install/replacement...so be prepared to get frustrated, and PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS, THEY ARE FREAKING IMPORTANT AS HELL!!!!!!

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To 700R4 loss 3rd and 4th Gears

Quick Reply: 700R4 loss 3rd and 4th Gears