C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kit car oppinion poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 12:46 AM
BlkBird
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit car oppinion poll

What do you guys think of this kit car? I dont like alot of kit cars but I really like the looks of this one. Im thinking of looking into it further. Oppinions please.
sorry for the size, I have no way to resize it though.

I'll include the link to their website if you want to know more about the car then just how it looks
http://www.dragonmotorcars.com/

[Modified by BlkBird, 5:47 AM 12/29/2002]
Old 12-29-2002, 01:13 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Kit car oppinion poll (BlkBird)

it looks like a pirahana. id rather have a shark. ;) not a bad kit though.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:31 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Kit car oppinion poll ('79ProwlerOrange)

I don't care for the hood, but that's me. :D
Old 12-29-2002, 09:57 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Aren't abortions illegal in SC?

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 12-29-2002, 10:50 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote from Website:

"My feeling is, when all parts are accumulated and in "ready-to-install" condition(after suspension parts have been cleaned and rebuilt) you will spend 1 day laying out & shaping your tail-light, hood vents, gas-cap, roll-bar and dashboard instrument cutouts, 1 day under-coating, 1 day installing suspension, 1 day installing engine/clutch/transmission, 1 day plumbing brakes and hydraulics, 2 days connecting radiator and finishing out engine compartment, 1 day for fuel-cell and fuel line installation, 1 day for windshield installation, 2 days wiring, 2 days doing carpet/interior, a lifetime of driving."

And on the 8th day god created the Corvette!

Take it from me, there is no way to put this thing together in 2 weeks. I've been working on mine for 2+ years (part time weekends only) and I'm just about done. Sure, knowing what I know now and if I could do it full time I could whack it out in a couple of months. But that's not reality.

Having said that, I think it looks pretty decent. It's hard to tell though without inspecting the body (quality and consistency of the fiberglass) and the frame (welds! - and that everything bolts up without modificaiton).

I have no regrets in building mine, but, if I had it to do over, I would probably have bought a used mid-year and dropped in a ZZ4 and gone cruisin a year ago. That's going to be my next project when I finish this hopefully this spring.

Also, they estimate a cost of 27-30k. By the time you get done with nice wheels, tires, gauges, exhaust, engine, tranny, go-fast and show goodies, paint, parts, misc, etc. etc. and etc. Figure more like 35k.

But, if you have the time and money, it could be a fun and different project.

My .02

ps: If you want to see some of what goes into building a kit click on the link below for my 34 Ford.

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 10:50 AM 12/29/2002]
Old 12-29-2002, 01:18 PM
Injected
Instructor

Almost looks like a Cheetah, remember those? I haven’t come across one of those in a few years, I like the looks of it.
G
Old 12-29-2002, 01:37 PM
BlkBird
Racer

Default Re: Kit car oppinion poll (74FLCONV)

Aren't abortions illegal in SC?
Huh?:confused: I have no idea, Im not from here(thank god). Apparently incest is'nt. I just live here, temporarily at that. Wanna buy my house? 25 minutes to Myrtle Beach.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:41 PM
BlkBird
Racer

Default Re: Kit car oppinion poll (Injected)

Almost looks like a Cheetah, remember those? I haven’t come across one of those in a few years, I like the looks of it.
G
I dont remember the original cars but there is a kit car manufacturer who is now reproducing them. To me, those kinda look like those Manx dune buggies.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:12 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Kit car oppinion poll ('79ProwlerOrange)

The only kit car that I like is the Cobra, but that is just my opinion and in no way do I mean to put this car down. Good luck in your decision.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:22 PM
phxraptor
Burning Brakes

:U Dont care much for it, looks a bit like something a ricer would come up wit :D Also look at the hood, shark like fenders and the gills!! Now where did those come from :bs :seeya
Old 12-29-2002, 02:59 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Kit car oppinion poll (phxraptor)

Nice wheels that's about it for me :D

The only kit car I have evr seen that dosen't look cheesy is the Cobra.

[Modified by MotorHead, 2:00 PM 12/29/2002]
Old 12-29-2002, 06:12 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Kit car oppinion poll (gdh)

The only kit car that I like is the Cobra, but that is just my opinion and in no way do I mean to put this car down. Good luck in your decision.
I would build the cobra just for the fact it will be much easier to sell in the futrue. They are awesome machines and you can make them very fast. :smash:
Old 12-29-2002, 06:17 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

I just drove my buddies Cobra with 425ho weighing in at 2200 lbs....Man is that car BRUTAL.........I love it but it is too loud with the sidepipes :eek:
Old 12-29-2002, 08:27 PM
ken markusa
Instructor

Default Re: Kit car oppinion poll (Alwyn678)

You would be better off putting that $40,000 into a nice C-3, yeah i know they estimate under $30,000 but these projects always seem to have a habit of inflating you would lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar when it comes time to sell and it's not easy selling selling a kitcar thats not a Cobra or a street rod. With a Corvette at least there is a known quality and market.
Ken :cheers:
Old 12-30-2002, 06:22 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Wasn't there a company making a kit car replica of the old mid 60's factory racing vette "grand sport"? This would be like the cobra, based on a real car and most of the vette C2/C3 parts and frame could be used.

I like the idea of a kit car, but I lean towards a replica of a racer, especially a vette racer.

Dave
Old 12-30-2002, 12:46 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

isnt that called a Lister? Isnt it based off a vette chasis? I think its cool,kits R allways unique and that one certainly is curvy fast looking. Only thing is a convertable shark is just if not more sexy,has a pedigree (depending on who U talk to) and if it is a late model shark it will only require a crate motor/rebuild and a suspension upgrade to make it kick-Azz. That could all be done for under $15 grand. How much is the kit?
Old 12-30-2002, 03:53 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

It looks like a Cheeta, Lister and a Jaguar all in one. It's kind of cool.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:14 PM
BlkBird
Racer

Default Re: Kit car oppinion poll (phxraptor)

:U Dont care much for it, looks a bit like something a ricer would come up wit :D Also look at the hood, shark like fenders and the gills!! Now where did those come from :bs :seeya
So...a ricer would come up with a car that you say has 'vette characteristics? O.k....

You guys saying to buy a C3 are cracking me up, I guess your truly loyal to your cars! If I wanted a C3 Id buy one(which I probably will eventually). The whole point of me looking at this kit is its not anything. Its not a 'vette(though it does have some of its lines and C4 suspension), its not a Cobra, etc., etc. Its completely unique and you would'nt have to worry about parking next to another one. A guy on another forum said it looked like they could'nt decide what they were making. They were'nt making anything! Its a design of their own, taking what they like from other cars and incorporating it into theirs. I love the way it looks but I am worried about the kit car scenes notorious lack of quality and how many people have been screwed by the manufacturers. I think I'd actually have to make the trip to the manufacturer to see the kit Im getting to make sure the body's reasonably straight. I dont know though, I havent decided what Im doing. I guess I should finish one of the three "works in progress" I have at my house already! Im sure my wife would agree with that! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Kit car oppinion poll

Quick Reply: Kit car oppinion poll