C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need recommendations please. Rotor, Distributor cap, and plug wires.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 12:45 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Need recommendations please. Rotor, Distributor cap, and plug wires.

Who makes the most reliable rotor and distributor cap?

Whats the best plug wires to use with an MSD setup?

I have a set of 8mm taylor wires that are not a year old and have always leaked spark. Is there a set out there that is pre made for a BB with headers?(no crimping)

45 degree boots seem to fit best.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:21 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Need recommendations please. Rotor, Distributor cap, and plug wires. (71,454,4spd)

ttt
Old 12-30-2002, 03:11 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Need recommendations please. Rotor, Distributor cap, and plug wires. (71,454,4spd)

I assume that you have a regular ignition point stock distributor. I have been using the Accel cap and rotor for years without any problems. Their cap offers good brass inserts not aluminum. I would think that the MSD cap and rotor are also a good value, but I have no experience with them.
I also use Accel wires, for which I have not had any problems. I did notice that you are using 8mm wires. With your tight enviornment and stock ignition you may have better luck with 7mm wires.
Ed
Old 12-30-2002, 07:43 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need recommendations please. Rotor, Distributor cap, and plug wires. (ED DINAPOLI)

I used the MSD 8.5mm plug wires on my SB. They had 90* boots, required no crimping, and they have either over or under the header lengths. You could probably get the 45* boots also :cheers:
Old 12-30-2002, 07:54 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Need recommendations please. Rotor, Distributor cap, and plug wires. (Ryan77)

I used the MSD on mine also. But I went ahead and got the crimp style because I wanted the custom length without the big leftover wire dangling everywhere. I put an ACCEL cap on but I don`t like it just because of its color(brown/tan). I may see if I can just get me an MSD sometime later and replace the ACCEL.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:02 PM
Clink69
Drifting

I use Taylor wires with my MSD setup. these are recommended by many racers...

Chris
:flag
Old 12-30-2002, 10:18 PM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

I have used Accel caps and rotors for the past twenty or so years. Never had a problem with one. You can also buy them at a NAPA store under the Echlin brand. Just make sure that you ask for the hi performance cap and rotor.

As far as wire sets go I am still looking. I have tried Accel, Belden/Power Path, Moroso, and Taylor. The Taylor wires with the metal braid on the outside fit the best, plus they look good with the distributor shielding. The only drawback is that they have to be grounded.

John.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:20 PM
Perfomer
Instructor

Default Re: Need recommendations please. Rotor, Distributor cap, and plug wires. (Clink69)

I use the Taylor wires on my drag cars they fit under the headers and are a high heat resistence material . The MSD cap and rotor is hard to beat . I also found that if you use a non-conductive sealer onthe plug end of the wires you get rid of the bleed.

Get notified of new replies

To Need recommendations please. Rotor, Distributor cap, and plug wires.

Quick Reply: Need recommendations please. Rotor, Distributor cap, and plug wires.