C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 11:44 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics.

:lol: Im applying sound deadener to my interior before i put in the insulation and carpet. this type of deadener is a paint on type. i bought 2 gallons and have used 1/8th of the 1st one on this whole thing. and there are 2-3 layers everywhere. :eek: i have been using a paint brush and roller, but you can use a spray gun. its made by http://www.b-quiet.com and so far i think its going to work great. oh the little nub in the center of my rear area is a fiberglass patch a previous owner did. i sanded it down to that and decided it was good enough. its strong so no worries, but it is a little ugly. good thing its going to be covered. actaully good thing its all going to be covered. the blue remindes me of a mens room. :U no bad fumes though :jester

Frank, this is why i didnt call. i was working on it all day. Mostly cleaning. i got a large ammount of the rear area down to the fiberglass.

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 11:07 PM 12/28/2002]
Old 12-29-2002, 01:10 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. ('79ProwlerOrange)

30 views and not a single reply? i thought for sure this but would get some comments... :confused:
Old 12-29-2002, 01:39 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. ('79ProwlerOrange)

I think people are too busy drooling to reply. Wanna come over and do mine? Looks freaking awesome!

-Steve
Old 12-29-2002, 01:45 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. (Pacin'California)

Funny how that blue in your car and the blue in this guy :U both match ???
Old 12-29-2002, 01:51 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. (Pacin'California)

if you want to tear out the interior! that was the PITA part. if you have never removed the shade thing, and dont know how, it makes you feel really dumb once you get it out. i figgured it out after about an hour though. took about 30 seconds to remove :rolleyes: thanks for the :thumbs: comment. i personally think it looks like doo doo, but still 100 times better then the cruddy yellowish/brownish interior that was there yesterday. :cheers:
Old 12-29-2002, 01:53 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. (BSeery)

:lol: :lol: :lol: makes sense to me! :D
Old 12-29-2002, 02:37 AM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

let us know how good it works,,,im doing the complete interior with the dynomat type stuff (immitation dynomat),,,but would like to use the spray stuff in those hard to reach spots :cool:
Old 12-29-2002, 03:37 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

30 views and not a single reply? i thought for sure this but would get some comments... :confused:
Ok Ok I'll reply. I think you are doing a bang up job...let us know if it works...
Old 12-29-2002, 06:40 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. (Desertdawg)

you should really check out http://www.b-quiet.com they have the same stuff as dynamat, except cheaper, and you can layer it. so you can get much better results. you can order a sample for like $3, and you can see how much better it is than dynamat. i will keep you guys posted.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:53 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Ben, How thick will the sound deadener be when you finish? :crazy:
Old 12-29-2002, 12:25 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. (Stingraycrazy)

should be a little under 1/8th of an inch depending on layers.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:32 PM
ice pac
Instructor

I've been looking into doing this as well. What made you decide to use the paint-on instead of the mat?
Old 12-29-2002, 01:51 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Great post my orange friend. I have been wanting someone to post on sound deadening material, as I will be stripping and painting my vette this winter. Pls keep me updated as to how well this works because ceing a vert. anything that can help with sound levels is appreciated. :cheers:
Old 12-29-2002, 02:19 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. (BSeery)

:lol: :U :lol:
Old 12-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I will be doing my interior soon I hope. I have followed similar posts w/degrees of sucess. A forum member posted how he had tried most of the mat kits and they did help a little. His project was to use a roll of heat/sound blocker from Summit. Sorry I can't remember the name. He used the full width of the roll and worked it up under the dash. His pics looked very good, like foil. Check the archives. There was a thread about stiffening the chassis w/bars that got off on using a foam as a stiffener/sound deadener. If your tearing out the old interior as I will, uing foam to fill cracks and gaps under the sound deadener material sounds like a no brainer to me. Extra chassis stiffness would be frosting on the cake! Good luck!
Old 12-29-2002, 06:08 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. (ice pac)

I've been looking into doing this as well. What made you decide to use the paint-on instead of the mat?
3 words. Ease Of Application. no cutting, no heat gun, not crappy littler roller deal...

but im actually thinking of adding the mat over this. at least in the noise prone areas. i finished the 1st layer of the passenger side today. i had to drive it to work, and it feels like im driving a V8 Bathtub. :lol: it looks alot cleaner though.

where did they add the foam to stiffen the chasis? on the b-pillar/roof? that would be great to have better handling just by squirting so foam.

i also got my bubble lights in today. at 1st i was pissed because i had to cut the inner light holes down. but i quit my bitching and went at it with the dremmel. they look great. 1000 times better than the old ones. these lights go great on my car. i'll post pics tonight when i get home. :cheers:
Old 12-29-2002, 06:18 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, maybe I am just stupid or something. I went to their website and can't find the blu crap. What is it called?

Get notified of new replies

To Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics.

Old 12-29-2002, 06:20 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Went to the web site, and all I saw was matt type products. What was the product name of the stuff you painted on?
Old 12-29-2002, 06:32 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics. (75 BBC Stingray)

You can buy all of this stuff from 4 or 5 different companies. If you go onto ebay, you can find resellers of dynamat etc... that will sell the bulk packages for less than half of what it costs directly from them. Same with the paint on products.

The only problem with the paint on stuff is that it doesn't have the heat reflecting properties that the mats do, but if you put the mat on top, then you get the best of both worlds.

Looks great!!! When you get it all back together let us know how it sounds.

:):)
Old 12-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmm and here I've been busy getting all of the facory sound deadener off my tub :)

Quick Reply: Project update: Sound Deadener. do not look directly at pics.