C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a link to removing control arms and rear spring.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 10:19 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Anyone have a link to removing control arms and rear spring.

I need tips to avoid breaking to many parts. :smash:
Old 12-28-2002, 10:36 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Anyone have a link to removing control arms and rear spring. (Budman78)

It's a pretty simply stated task really.

For the spring: Put a jack under the outer part of the spring (as far out as you can get it without interfering with access to the spring bolt). Jack up the spring enough to take the load off the bolt. Back the nut off, slowly let the jack down. Then take the 4 bolts off the diff and you're set. use wood blocks or something to prevent from mucking up the spring.

The shock is pretty straightforward.
The halfshaft has 4 bolts to hold it to the hub. Make sure you at least loosen the outer bolts before you remove those at the diff if you plan on removing the entire halfshaft.

Let's see...there's the e-brake cable, rear caliper, brake hose, and I think that's all that's attached to the control arm. From there, remove the forward control arm bolt, keeping track of the shims as you remove it, and you're set. Warnign though, removing the bolt is possibly the most difficult task you'll face. If it's at all rusty, give it healthy doses of penetrating oil well in advance of trying to remove it.

That's it in a nutshell. A manual would be a good guide to have, even if it's a Haynes or Chiltons or whatever.

Good luck!
Dave

Old 12-28-2002, 10:55 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have a link to removing control arms and rear spring. (Ed T)

Pictures if you need'em Here , pretty easy job to remove the rear spring.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:46 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Re: Anyone have a link to removing control arms and rear spring. (Budman78)

Excellent advice given,I have a midyear and we removed a fiberglass spring and installed a metal one.

I do want to caution you that the spring removal is dangerous. BE carefull the only thing we did differentley was to install 2 c clamp's next to our jack on eather side we were using to raise/compress spring for removal.the clamps were installed to keep the jack from sliding out of position.

Also on the midyears it was a problem if the rear spring was not bolted FAST/FLUSH to the rear end housing before loading the rear spring or you would crack the ears off the rear end housing

I also sprayed all of the rear end parts for robabley 3 weeks prior to starting my rear suspention rebuild every time I would go by it I would spray it with wd40 every thing came off no problem and I feel it was because of the wd40

I plan on replacing my body mounts and have been spraying them all the time

[Modified by Ih2lose, 11:50 PM 12/28/2002]
Old 12-29-2002, 09:09 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Anyone have a link to removing control arms and rear spring. (Ih2lose)

Thanks for the tips. I've used the corvettefaq in the past to rebuild my front suspension. Great site.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:29 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Budman :)

just did this, so it can't be too difficult :D:D

I agree with everything above. Definitely soak every bolt with penetrating oil first. Pray that your trailing arm bolts are not rusted in place if you are going to take them off for rebuild.

My driver's side bolt was loose enough that I could pry out the shims and get a sawzall in there, but the passenger side shims were rusted into a mass of metal that I needed 4 carbide sawzall blades to get through (including the rubber bushings and sheath).

I've got a bunch of photos that I can send you if you want them.

[Modified by phoenix, 10:30 AM 12/29/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have a link to removing control arms and rear spring.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a link to removing control arms and rear spring.