C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't get rid of this engine noise - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 08:43 PM
Langadorf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't get rid of this engine noise - any ideas?

Ever since I've reinstalled my recently ported heads I've been carefully listening to the motor as I drive it. Recently, I've been hearing this strange regular noise coming from the passenger side valve cover. It sounds like sort of a tick/clack kind of noise. I originally thought it was a loose valve lash, but I've reset all the valves twice and reset the passenger side valves yet again tonight. After I first started the motor up, I thought it had gone away, but after several seconds the noise came back. Also, on the passenger side exhaust I can see a very slight puff of white smoke coming out. The following are the steps I have taken to fix/identify the noise:

1) Reset all the valves (hydraulic roller cam w/ 1.6 RR) several times using the following method: First I make marks on the harmonic balancer 90* apart starting at TDC. I then watch the valves and rotate the crank until I see #1 intake valve closing then I continue to rotate it until the mark comes up to TDC. I loosen the locknuts and back off the larger nut. I then twirl the pushrod between my fingers as I tighten the large nut until I feel some resistance. Next I rotate the nut a full 180* clockwise. I then set the locknuts tight and tighten the whole thing about another 15-20* until it feels really snug. I do this for both valves then continue down the firing order until all the valves have been set.

2) I have listened all along the valve cover and on each header primary with a long torque wrench trying to identify exactly where the noise is coming from. However, I can't seem to pinpoint any one point that seems louder or that has a different sound.

3) I feared I might have a bad lifter rubbing on the cam wrong, so I changed the oil last night and looked in it for any metal flecks. I ran a very strong magnet all through the oil and didn't bring up any metal flecks at all.

4)Oil pressure seems to be good always around 40-60PSI. The car seems to idle and drive just fine. Tonight I wondered if maybe they weren't getting oil, but earlier today when I reset the valves on the passenger side, I had immediatly pulled the valve cover after running the car for 20-30 minutes at full operating temp (160 deg). There was oil puddles in each of the locknut holes and oil around the valvecover and rocker arms. I assumed this meant it was pumping oil. Also, if there was something rubbing wrong I would think the pushrods/rockers/etc would be VERY hot, but I was able to touch them long enough to set the valves w/out burning myself.

Here is a pic of my passenger side valve area - tell me if you see anything wrong here:

Also, here is a WAV file of both valvecover areas. The first half is from the driver side and the second half is from the passenger side. I know it's kinda hard to tell anything, but I recorded it anyways.

http://langhoff.dhs.org/valves.wav

Dunno if I'm just going crazy or if anything is really wrong. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

[Modified by Langadorf, 7:46 PM 12/28/2002]
Old 12-28-2002, 08:50 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: I can't get rid of this engine noise - any ideas? (Langadorf)

Last year before MELVIN put in his 502, he had rebuilt his 427. He chased a noise like this for several weeks, even pulled his heads off and had valves checked. It turned out it was a rocker lightly tapping against a dripper in his rocker cover. You never know, check and see if it could be something like that.
Another possibilty is a exhaust leak, I've heard exhaust leaks that I swore were coming from the valve train. Header gaskets are notorious for this.
Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2002, 08:59 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: I can't get rid of this engine noise - any ideas? (Smokehouse69)

:iagree: sounds like exhaust leak it me. The few seconds after you start and don't hear it, then the headers heat and leak.

Try tightening the bolts and check your gaskets. You might be able to hear it through a hose to the headers.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old 12-28-2002, 09:07 PM
Langadorf
Pro

Default Re: I can't get rid of this engine noise - any ideas? (trw)

The night before last I went along and tightened up all the header bolts and the header gaskets were new when I installed the heads. I guess this is worth checking again still - I'll have to give it another listen tomorrow. Like he said, I could swear it sounds like it coming from higher than that though.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:13 PM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

White smoke is always a water leak. What did the plugs look like when you pulled them? :sad:
Old 12-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Langadorf
Pro

Default Re: I can't get rid of this engine noise - any ideas? (vettes1st)

This puff is really faint - I can't tell if its oil or water based and I have to strain to see it. The head gaskets were new when I installed the heads and I had throroughly prepped all the surfaces. I haven't pulled all the spark plugs on the passenger side since I've got it up and running. I've pulled the middle two plugs to make it easier to turn the motor over by hand, and those two looked fine although just a bit rich (still working on tuning the carb). I'll check the outside two plugs tomorrow.

Also, I'm running straight water w/ redline water wetter. I topped off the
radiator last night after not running the car for 4-5 days - it was
down a little. Then, I ran the motor for well over an hour today and
I just checked the radiator a few minutes ago. It doesn't seem
to be down any considerable amount - maybe a 1/4" from the very top
just below the overflow hole. If I was burning water, wouldn't it be down more than that? And wouldn't straight water be invisible?

[Modified by Langadorf, 9:05 PM 12/28/2002]
Old 12-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I listened to your sound file a couple of times and I'm not really sure that I'm hearing what your talking about, but I did hear an ocassional "tick." It could be an exhaust leak but it almost sounds like the tick or pop of an ignition wire. Try running the car in the dark and looking at the engine. From your picture the wires look new, but there could be some wierd kind of cross-firing going on.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:04 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It sure looks to me as if the intake rocker on #6 is way off the center of the valve stem. I also see no guide plates, make sure the rocker isn't running off the side of the valve stem :cheers:
Old 12-29-2002, 04:18 AM
Langadorf
Pro

Default Re: I can't get rid of this engine noise - any ideas? (yellow 72)

Uh... there are guide plates on every pushrod. Look at a bigger picture here:
http://langhoff.dhs.org/passvalvesbig.jpg

[Modified by Langadorf, 3:19 AM 12/29/2002]

[Modified by Langadorf, 3:19 AM 12/29/2002]
Old 12-29-2002, 04:29 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember also that roller rockers tend to sound like solid lifters. :rolleyes:
Old 12-29-2002, 09:05 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

while she is idling take your hand and on the right exhaust pipe tip hold it barely over the exit... if your hand gets pulled up agaisnted the opening... you have a misfire... just a thought

Old 12-29-2002, 12:01 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a noise similar to a lifter, comming from the forward passengr's side that drove me crazy trying to find it. It turned out to be the fuel pump push rod. The arm on the fuel pump was actually worn into a step. So sometimes the push rod would ride in a different place and the noise would be there sometimes but sometime not. A new pump and pushrod solved the mysterious clicking noise.

Get notified of new replies

To I can't get rid of this engine noise - any ideas?

Quick Reply: I can't get rid of this engine noise - any ideas?