C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine change... a question about center intake bolts

Old 12-28-2002, 07:31 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Engine change... a question about center intake bolts

Some help please...

I started pulling apart the engine today in the car so that I can lighten the load when it is pulled. A piece of cake until I got to the two center bolts on each side of the stock intake that are hidden in the runners. I used a rounded centerpoint and sledge hammer to impact the heads first to hopefully free them up, but these bolts have never been out in the last 18 years and are kind of pissing me off. Closed end 9/16" wrenches do not work since there is a bevel on the intake right behind them and the open end seems to be quite loose and tries to round the corners. All of my 6 point sockets are too long and the angle causes extensions to hit the carburator plane and make them where they are not straight on the head of the bolt. Any tricks you all can help me with or tools you used?

[Modified by bgrice, 12:34 AM 12/29/2002]
Old 12-28-2002, 09:25 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Engine change... a question about center intake bolts (bgrice)

yeah long extension on a 9/16 6 point swivel socket should do ya.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:05 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Engine change... a question about center intake bolts (patsnitrovette)

Thanks for the response Pat. I'll go pick up some short 6 point sockets tomorrow morning. It's been a few years since I last did the engine pulling thing, but it's something you never forget. The engine didn't look half bad with all of the dress-up stuff on it. Take the water pump, powersteering pump, carb & alternator off and it looks 18 years old. I noticed you had a MSD ignition... where did you mount it? I'll be going with either Crane or MSD for the fire and Accel distributor.

Oh well... it's in parts now. No turning back. :lol:

Old 12-28-2002, 11:17 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Engine change... a question about center intake bolts (bgrice)

i mounted it next to the coolant over flow on the fender pass side, just over the control arm.heres with the old motor in it,but it shows the msd

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 11:19 PM 12/28/2002]
Old 12-29-2002, 12:28 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Engine change... a question about center intake bolts (patsnitrovette)

I never thought about mounting it on the inside fender well, but I checked it out and there is in fact lots of room there. The firewall is so full of stuff I can't see trying to mount it there. Did you place any kind of rubber spacers in between or did the box come with them? It seems to me that my 7AL I had years ago had built in shock absorbers. Either way... thanks for posting the pix of where you have your box mounted. It just makes it that much easier for us who are doing modifications that you all have gone through.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine change... a question about center intake bolts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine change... a question about center intake bolts