C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Started YAY...But....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 06:11 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Car Started YAY...But....

It died. I got a jump start fro AAA today and all seemed fine, I drove it around, sounds incredible and just runs great. About 45 minutes later, I pulled up to my parking spot, turned off the car...went to turn the key...and guess what? Nothing, exept my lights turned on (YAY! :lol:). So I guess I'm going to NAPA and picking up a new battery since mine is still under warrenty. Joys of owning an old car :yesnod:
Old 12-29-2002, 04:01 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Car Started YAY...But.... (theanswriz42)

If your lights turned on, it may not be your battery...and Warranty or not, get rid of those dam NAPA battery's I went through 4 of them in a year in my jeep. I went to the Optima battery, and it lasted me over 7 years.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:06 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: Car Started YAY...But.... (Desertdawg)

:eek: :cool: I'm thinking the battery had just enough to keep the lights on when I opened the door but the battery meter showed it to be quite low. The battery I got is one of those supposedly :cool: gel batteries that don't use water or whatever :rolleyes: Gotta love paying too much eh? Ohh well. I'm going to get it replaced and see what happens, if all else fails, optima here I come :yesnod:

:cheers:
Old 12-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I'd check the alternator to see if it's charging. After a 45 minute drive, you should have had enough "juice" to start it up. Most shops will check your alternator for free if you bring it in. Chuck
Old 12-29-2002, 07:37 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car Started YAY...But.... (Chuck Gongloff)

I'd check the alternator to see if it's charging. After a 45 minute drive, you should have had enough "juice" to start it up. Most shops will check your alternator for free if you bring it in. Chuck
:iagree: heres a test. turn the lights on. now try and start the car. if the lights dimm alot then your battery sux. if you were driving for 45 min and the lights never dimmed, the ALT. should be good. now if the lights dont dim, but nothing happens when you try and start it, its the starter. chances are its the battery though because you said you got a jump, and it turned over. if you notice the lights dim or the volt meter reading weird (too much or too little) its the alternator. all ver simple fixes. :cheers:
Old 12-29-2002, 07:43 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Car Started YAY...But.... ('79ProwlerOrange)

Or start your car while it is running disconnect your battery. If it stays running the Alt is ok. If it dies immediately your alt is definately bad.
Bob
Old 12-29-2002, 08:01 PM
Russ Bellinis
Racer

Before you jump to conclusions about your battery or alternator, Chevy starters are famous for getting heat soaked and not wanting to turn over when hot. Let it cool off, then try it. If your starter is showing heat soak failure, it needs replaced. I would suggest going with a gear reduction aftermarket starter.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:41 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Car Started YAY...But.... (Russ Bellinis)

Before you jump to conclusions about your battery or alternator, Chevy starters are famous for getting heat soaked and not wanting to turn over when hot. Let it cool off, then try it. If your starter is showing heat soak failure, it needs replaced. I would suggest going with a gear reduction aftermarket starter.
I ended up doing the same thing. I don't think I was dealing with heat soak I think I had a dead spot in the started. Put a Hot Starter on it and my problem was gone. It was real obvious that it was the starter though.
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Car Started YAY...But....

Quick Reply: Car Started YAY...But....