C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the difference between Polyurathane and Polygraphite?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default What's the difference between Polyurathane and Polygraphite?

Looking at some suspenion bushings, and trying to decide which is better??
I know they are different but how?

Anyone? :confused:
Old 12-28-2002, 09:52 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What's the difference between Polyurathane and Polygraphite? (Corey 68)

I'm not 100% sure on this, but my understanding is that polygraphite is just polyurathane with graphite blended in. The idea is that the graphite will reduce/eliminate squeaks associated with polyurathane. I've used the grease supplied with the few polyurathane bushings I've installed in my car and have not had any squeaks yet (wood :smash: ). But, depending on the price difference, I may go with polygraphite in the future. I haven't heard anything about durability or ride "harshness" compared to the polyurathane.

[Modified by jerryp58, 9:54 AM 12/28/2002]
Old 12-28-2002, 09:57 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Re: What's the difference between Polyurathane and Polygraphite? (Corey 68)

Looking at some suspenion bushings, and trying to decide which is better?? I know they are different but how?
Anyone? :confused:
Fact: Both Polyurethane and Polygraphite bushings are made of polyurethane ... but polygraphite has graphite particles mixed in with the polyurethane.

Opinion: The graphite is supposed to aid in reducing any squeaking/groaning. I doubt it does much good beyond initial period of useage. Any poly bushings should be assembled into CA arms using silicone grease. Most poly bushings that are black in color have graphite ... regardless of manufacturer/supplier. Poly bushings are not bonded to inner & outer shells as rubber ones are. But on parts that are bonded (ie motors mounts) I believe it is best not to have graphite in the mix because the graphite may impede the bonding.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:10 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: What's the difference between Polyurathane and Polygraphite? (jackson)

The graphite is supposed to eliminate the squeaking. Trust me and wrap the sway bars with teflon tape where the frame mounts touch the bars or you will have squeaks.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the difference between Polyurathane and Polygraphite?

Quick Reply: What's the difference between Polyurathane and Polygraphite?