C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 05:45 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me with brake bleeding

Hi,
I installed new calipers and rotors on my 70. Is there a trick to bleeding the brakes correctly?

Thank you very much
Robbie :confused: :confused:
Old 12-28-2002, 07:03 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help me with brake bleeding (Love My 72 and 77)

Sometimes they bleed nice and easy but sometimes they can be a real PIA. Make sure that all of the bleeder screws are at the top. That is..... the highest point when mounted. There shoul be two on each rear caliper and one on each front. Check it out because vendors have been known to get them mixed or put the bleeders in the wrong place. If the bleeders are not in the correct place it is nearly impossible to bleed the system. If that is OK then just open all (6) of the bleeders and let them gravity bleed until you think it is good. Just keep the master cylinder full and be patient. This method really works the best, It just take a little longer.. Somtimes the old pump/open/close method just won't work fo some reason.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:01 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I've never tried the "gravity" or "vacuum pump" methods; just the old fashioned two person method -- one pumps while the other opens & closes the bleeders.

I always thought that you started with the caliper furthest from the Master Cylinder and worked your way to the closest, but, FWIW, according to my Haynes manual the order is:

1968-1977
left rear
right rear
left front
right front

1978-1982
left rear inner
left rear outer
right rear inner
right rear outer
left front
right front

I don't remember whether my '77 had the dual bleeders on the rears when I got it (Haynes implies it wouldn't), but the replacements were dual.

If your system was neglected as long as mine was, you may want to bleed them until clean fluid comes out and then worry about air. My fluid was pretty nasty.

If the MC ever emptied out or got close, you'll probably need to bench-bleed it.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.

[Modified by jerryp58, 8:03 AM 12/28/2002]
Old 12-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Thanks you guys I really appreciate the help Thank god I got teh correct calipers -- they do habe two bleeders in rear and one in front -- funny enough some venders had same part number for fronts and rears . When I anstalled them I noticed they are all different. I will try the gravity method and see how it works. :steering:
Old 12-28-2002, 08:39 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I alway try the pump method first because it is faster. Then if I have any problems with a spongey pedal I let it sit for a few minutes for the air to come to the top and then gravity bleed them. I just seem to get a firmer pedal using the gravity method. Some people even say that the vacuum pump thing actaully puts air into our systems due to the design of the caliper seals.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:42 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

I have allways said the worst part of vette repair is bleeding the brakes, As stated above use the gravety system to get the majority of the air out,starting at the furthest. Find something good to do while waiting the worst thing you can do is let the master cylender go empty wasting all your time.I also have a rubber mallet that I whack the calipers with (there are tiny cross over tubes and if a bubble gets stuck in it nothing happens with the grafity system) GOOD LUCK AND BE PAITENT

Also because it is such a pain in the butt you should replace any and all hoses or brake lines now! great time to do a saftey check and all of the hoses and tupes are affordable NO EXCUSE NOT TO DO IT
Old 12-28-2002, 09:35 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

In over 40 years of "wrenchin", I have found there is no better method than pressure bleeding. My current '69 resto was no exception - when I did the brakes, I ended up resurrecting an old steel brake pressure bottle with some new parts and the brakes FINALLY came out sweet.

If you can find an old one to bring back to life, or buy / build one made of the new plactics, you will have a much better time bleeding and it will go much quicker.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:08 AM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Gravity bleeding is the way to go. It takes the longest but offers the best chances of success the first time around.
I've tried the two person pump method and vacuum bleeding and always end doing it by gravity. :chevy
Old 12-28-2002, 12:09 PM
Bullyj
Burning Brakes

I usually attach a piece of vacuum hose to the bleeder and put the other end in a jar that has some brake fluid in it. Making sure the end of the hose is submerged. I then crack open the bleeder and slowly pump the brakes (watching the resevoir of course). I don't know if this is the proper way but it's always worked for me.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:20 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Help me with brake bleeding (Bullyj)

Gravity worked for me.You open the bleeder on one caliper at a time,keep an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder,and enjoy a cold one. By the time you get four calipers done,you really got to pee!
Old 12-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Help me with brake bleeding (Bullyj)

My '81 was a bear to bleed. I gave up trying to bleed them myself and took my car to a mechanic. He used an electric vacuum bleeder. The brakes have never felt better.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me with brake bleeding

Quick Reply: Help me with brake bleeding