C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly Question about turning the crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 01:23 AM
ReydeSol774bbl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silly Question about turning the crank

This is kind of silly. How do you recommend turning the crank when the timing sprocket is off? I pulled the engine last week, been taking my sweet time, and will have the new parts installed and the engine together by tomorrow night. My buddy's girlfriend decided to try pulling off the timing sprocket when I was at the auto parts store... with a hammer, by pulling down sideways on it. When I get back I see the #1 piston is no longer at TDC... :mad

So get back to it, pull the sprocket with my new puller and head to autozone to buy a crank turning socket. I've seen them for sale in Summit and Jegs, but all the people there looked at me like I had been drinking. I checked their catalog, and no dice, they don't have one. Which leads me to believe that someone else has had to turn the engine while it was apart like this and perhaps has some advice?

Thanks in advance, good day! :cheers:
Old 12-28-2002, 01:27 AM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Silly Question about turning the crank (ReydeSol774bbl)

I used to put a stack of washers under the harmonic balancer bolt and use it to turn the engine. Then I bought the right tool..... Doesn't work any better, just easier to set up.
:cheers:

Quick Reply: Silly Question about turning the crank