C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End.. possible problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 01:54 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Rear End.. possible problem...

I took my 68' to work today.. and when making sharp right turns - I can feel some bump from the rear end (like driving over a small bump)... just as if the positraction fluid is old... However - I have changed the fluid 1.5 years ago... Is it possible that the fluid got bad again within that short time (and a few drag strip passes)... or have I f'd the rear end when Drag Racing??? I will check the fluid condition this weekend.. I hope that it's only the fluid...

Olivier

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 2:23 PM 12/27/2002]
Old 12-27-2002, 02:29 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... (GrandSportC3)

ttt
Old 12-27-2002, 03:27 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Hi Oliver, I'll take a guess and at least make a recomendation for the first step.

It sounds like the Posi Clutch Pack is Chattering, this usually results from worn Differential Lube or Clutch plates being Worn. I would have the rear lube changed and make sure to put in the GM Posi Additive to it.

From the GM Manual; To refill add 4 oz of GM #1052358 additive then fill to level with GM #1052271 or 72 to level full.

The other symptom is Differential Side Gear or Pinion. Which if this is the case will be most pronounced on a turn or side movement.

I would go for the new fluid and additive first and this is most likely what is wrong. Good Luck with this, JIM
Old 12-27-2002, 03:29 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... (PROSOUTH)

Hi Oliver, I'll take a guess and at least make a recomendation for the first step.

It sounds like the Posi Clutch Pack is Chattering, this usually results from worn Differential Lube or Clutch plates being Worn. I would have the rear lube changed and make sure to put in the GM Posi Additive to it.

From the GM Manual; To refill add 4 oz of GM #1052358 additive then fill to level with GM #1052271 or 72 to level full.

The other symptom is Differential Side Gear or Pinion. Which if this is the case will be most pronounced on a turn or side movement.

I would go for the new fluid and additive first and this is most likely what is wrong. Good Luck with this, JIM
Thanks,

I hope that you are right... It's just strange that I replaced the fluid 1.5 years ago....

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 12-27-2002, 03:46 PM
Xracer
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,

I hope that you are right... It's just strange that I replaced the fluid 1.5 years ago....

Olivier
Not when you drag race. That is why I got out of the game. To many broken parts.

Joe
Old 12-27-2002, 03:53 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... (Xracer)

Not when you drag race. That is why I got out of the game. To many broken parts.

Joe
I'm actually planning to stop racing my 68' as soon as I hit 11's... I'm soooo close... Exept the rear end - everything on my drivetrain is already new... I hope that it's only the fluid... A rear end rebuild would be pretty expensive...

Olivier

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 3:53 PM 12/27/2002]
Old 12-27-2002, 04:34 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Arent you supposed to change the fluid and gear lube once a year?
Old 12-27-2002, 05:52 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... ('79ProwlerOrange)

Since you just had everything apart, I'd take a look to be sure everything is still tight and hasn't worked itself loose ;) .
Old 12-27-2002, 06:26 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

You may just want to try working the lube back into the clutches by turning tight 360's (5 each direction) to make the differential work, just like you would if you changed the gear oil. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:36 PM
Glenn454
Racer

GrandSportC3,

Sounds like you broke a spidergear. If it only makes the noise when you make sharp turns. If so you should not drive it because the broken parts can ruin the ring and pinion. You can crack the the rearend cover and drain the fluid out, if there's pieces of metal in the fluid that's probably what happened.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:46 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Oliver If it comes down to it. I have a 3.55 rearend sitting on the floor on my garage (in a box used). I don't think I will be putting it in the 76 like I wanted. I think the Telecom Hammer is about to fall at work. SO I might be making some hard decisions soon.
321-427-9624
Old 12-27-2002, 08:30 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... (Glenn454)

Oliver you have had a lot of good advice offered here. I was going out the door when I responded to your post. I tried to give you the best overall quick view I could.

I thought if you changed the fluid and something fell out you'd figure out real quick it was the latter. It's hard to diagnose without hearing the specific clunk, clank or clatter you have. Try the first thing and if that doesn't cure the ailment, Better call Bob and borrow that 355:1 from him.

One more thing it could be is a broken snap ring on the stub axel,not expensive to fix but a pain just the same.

Good Luck Again, JIM
Old 12-27-2002, 08:34 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... ('79ProwlerOrange)

Arent you supposed to change the fluid and gear lube once a year?
I don't know about maintanance intervals.. I always thought that you can go with the same fluid for quite some time... Anyway - I will check the fluid first and see how it looks like... If it looks worn - I will replace it.. However - I think that there's something more serious wrong with the rear end... I will be out of town for the weekend.. So it will take some time until I will get a chance to check...

Olivier
Old 12-27-2002, 08:35 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... (SmokedTires)

Since you just had everything apart, I'd take a look to be sure everything is still tight and hasn't worked itself loose ;) .
That's a good idea.. I will check it within the next couple of days.. I will be out of town for the weekend...

Thanks

Olivier
Old 12-27-2002, 08:35 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... (burners)

You may just want to try working the lube back into the clutches by turning tight 360's (5 each direction) to make the differential work, just like you would if you changed the gear oil. Good luck.
Thanks

Olivier
Old 12-27-2002, 08:37 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... (Glenn454)

GrandSportC3,

Sounds like you broke a spidergear. If it only makes the noise when you make sharp turns. If so you should not drive it because the broken parts can ruin the ring and pinion. You can crack the the rearend cover and drain the fluid out, if there's pieces of metal in the fluid that's probably what happened.
You might be right... I had some strange noise on the way back from the cruise in, going straight.... There was a loud grinding noise and the whole car would vibrate :eek: :eek: ... It actually felt as if the vibration would come from the front of the car but I wonder if this is possible...

Olivier
Old 12-27-2002, 08:39 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... (76 Red)

Oliver If it comes down to it. I have a 3.55 rearend sitting on the floor on my garage (in a box used). I don't think I will be putting it in the 76 like I wanted. I think the Telecom Hammer is about to fall at work. SO I might be making some hard decisions soon.
321-427-9624
As posted in the other thread.. I will let you know if I will be interested in your rear end..

Right now - I have to know what's wrong with mine first... If it's bad - I might get yours or having mine rebuilt with stronger than stock parts... I drag race a lot and need stronger than stock parts...

Olivier
Old 12-27-2002, 08:41 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Rear End.. possible problem... (PROSOUTH)

Oliver you have had a lot of good advice offered here. I was going out the door when I responded to your post. I tried to give you the best overall quick view I could.

I thought if you changed the fluid and something fell out you'd figure out real quick it was the latter. It's hard to diagnose without hearing the specific clunk, clank or clatter you have. Try the first thing and if that doesn't cure the ailment, Better call Bob and borrow that 355:1 from him.

One more thing it could be is a broken snap ring on the stub axel,not expensive to fix but a pain just the same.

Good Luck Again, JIM
It's very difficult to guess what the problem is.. I had some more noises on the way back home when going straight (read previouis posts)... I will check as much I can myself and if I don't find anything - I will consult a mechanic...

Olivier

Get notified of new replies

To Rear End.. possible problem...

Quick Reply: Rear End.. possible problem...