C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New "rattles" with Hurst???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 09:09 AM
72Shark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New "rattles" with Hurst???

The Hurst Comp-Plus is finally in! I notice a lot of noise being transmitted up through the stick now, sounds like marbles loose in the back of the transmission?? Is this just the result of the new shifter bolting directly to the tailhousing???? On the positive side....The shifts are extremely confident now, with a feel of precision that blows my new Z06 out of the water!
Old 12-27-2002, 12:57 PM
rafox77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New "rattles" with Hurst??? (72Shark)

My Hurst also carries more sound up the stick, I've been told that it is because of the direct to tranny mounting. I found that a lot of the sound was coming from the plastic insert on the ball, I switched it over to the solid ball with the engraved pattern and it's much better (some guys say the "T" handle eliminates the vibration). Also, you can check the rubber tranny mount. One last thing ... take about 2" of heater hose, split it and clamp it to the stick as low as possible, this will help dampen the sound. Good luck :cheers:
Old 12-27-2002, 04:10 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: New "rattles" with Hurst??? (72Shark)

Put a Hurst in the Z06 too, you'll be amazed. :cheers:
Old 12-27-2002, 10:25 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: New "rattles" with Hurst??? (jwbert)

Yep, it's that stupid shifter ball, and the fake reverse lockout rattles like crazy too if you have the repro handle. Just leave your hand on the shift ball, and it won't rattle (but your hand will). :D
Old 12-28-2002, 08:40 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: New "rattles" with Hurst??? (A C)

Thanks for the info AC, I was thinking of adding that repo handle to my Comp+ too. I haven't had any noise from the Hurst I put in 21 years ago. I even drove the car without the boots and still didn't get any noise. I run the classic old white ball so I'll stay with that.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To New "rattles" with Hurst???

Quick Reply: New "rattles" with Hurst???