C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question # 1463

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 12:02 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Stupid question # 1463

I've been meaning to ask this for a long time but I keep forgetting when I finally get in front of the puter :crazy:

What exactly is being done when you "degree" a cam?
I assume that this involves adjusting the cam's degree angle to the crank, but if this is the case how do you physically make this adjustment since the cam sprocket is keyed to the cam by a steel dowel pin and three bolts, and the crank sprocket is pressed onto a single woodruff key.
I'm so confused! :cry :cry
Old 12-27-2002, 12:06 AM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stupid question # 1463 (Kevin_73)

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers....

But seriously, you are correct that degreeing is checking the alignment of the cam to the crank. It is adjustable by using an offset crank key or some cam sprockets have provisions for an offset alignment pin.

The process is too detailed for me to type, but you can go to the comp cams website for a detailed description.

Joe
Old 12-27-2002, 12:22 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Stupid question # 1463 (joe73vette)

you are correct that degreeing is checking the alignment of the cam to the crank. It is adjustable by using an offset crank key or some cam sprockets have provisions for an offset alignment pin.

The process is too detailed for me to type, but you can go to the comp cams website for a detailed description.

Joe
Thanks Joe,
I was pretty sure it concerned fine tuning the valve train timing, I just didn't understand how this could be accomplished with the way all of those parts fit together. :D

How common is it for the cam timing to be off? And if it is common are we talking about huge errors, or is this mainly used for fine tuning to optimize a certain rpm range?

BTW, I looked at comp cams page, but all I could find was the video that they sell.

Kevin
Old 12-27-2002, 09:44 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Stupid question # 1463 (Kevin_73)

Everthing you will ever need to know about camshaft degreeing and then some at the link below :cheers:
http://www.cranecams.com/master/degree.htm
Old 12-27-2002, 10:11 AM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stupid question # 1463 (yellow 72)

Crane Cams, Comp Cams, I've looked at so many cam websites, I can't keep them straight...

Kevin, you have it right, the 2-4 degrees that you can move the cam is mainly to fine tune the RPM range. It is very rare that the manufacturers are off on the timing. But it is one of those things that you can check just to make sure, just like bearing clearances are supposed to be correct when you get your crank turned, but you never know until you check.

Joe
Old 12-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Stupid question # 1463 (yellow 72)

Everthing you will ever need to know about camshaft degreeing and then some at the link below :cheers:
http://www.cranecams.com/master/degree.htm
:thumbs:
That is exactly what I was hoping for!!! :cheers:

Thank all of you very much.
When I finally accumulate the money to build my next engine I will have to try this out. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid question # 1463

Quick Reply: Stupid question # 1463