C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced the cable....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 11:14 PM
HcDave1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced the cable....

i replaced the cable for the spedometer for the car today and its still not working ....... whats going on here heh.... the rpms work but not the spedometer any other ideas..
Old 12-27-2002, 12:19 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: replaced the cable.... (HcDave1)

You have to be more specific, what year model car? Do you have cruise control or not? It could be that your speedometer has just gone bad, check with the CorvetteFaq http://www.corvettefaq.com they have some links to speedometer repair and replacement.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:27 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Looks like you'll need your speedo rebuilt.. Very often - the speedo transmission gets stuck.. That's one of the reasons why I went with Autometer Guauges on my 68... I replaced the speedo on my 69' Vert (sold) with a used unit from Temporary Corvette ($50) and it worked fine.. Having the speedo rebuilt will cost you much more than the $50 that I paid for the used replacement...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 12-27-2002, 11:54 AM
98RKC
Melting Slicks

I was having a bouncing problem with mine. Replaced the cable- still bounced. The transducer seemed to turn freely but when I bypassed it ith a speedo cable w/o cruise it works great. What happens if you remove the cable from the transmission and turn the cable by hand (or hook it to a variable speed drill and move it slowly) You can work your way up the connections to try ands locate the culprit. If you have cruise control, disconecct under the hood by the fender and see if the short cable spining moves the needle.
Good luck,
:cheers:
Old 12-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Jon69L46
Racer

Mine was bouncing when I first got my car. Replaced the cable and it stopped bouncing, it didn't work at all. I pulled the speedo gear in the tranny, it didn't look bad, but I replaced it and the 2 seals and voila! it works. Pretty accurate too. I tested the speedometer first by putting my portable drill on the tranny side and made sure the speedo moved freely.

Jon
Old 12-27-2002, 04:12 PM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: replaced the cable....

its my 78 without cruz control, thanks i was thinking its time to replace the gage just waiting on more funds ...

Get notified of new replies

To replaced the cable....

Quick Reply: replaced the cable....