C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bore gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Bore gauge

Anybody know where a good place to get one is?? a good one is preferable
Old 12-27-2002, 07:46 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Bore gauge (Guru_4_hire)

I tried the dial-bore gauge from Jeg's for $160. I'm not a machinist and couldn't get the &*$%#@^% :cuss :cuss thing to work properly. I sent it back. I then bought a telescoping bore gauge set from J.C. whitney----I didn't want to spend $90+ on the other sets I ran accross. They work great with a good micrometer.

Len
Old 12-27-2002, 07:46 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not buy a bore gage. The gage will be useless without gage rings to set the gage. Gage rings will set you back as much as the bore gage in a hurry.

A better idea might be to call the local machine shops about having them check the part for you (even if it's at your house). 20.00 could go a long way.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:05 PM
bob
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is a Chicago Brand. Number is a 50274. Works good and cost about $125 several years ago. It does from 2" to 6" and comes in a case with 11 ball end anvils and 4 spacers. You don't need any additional gauges with it. After you use one the telescoping snap type are much harder to use correctly.
bob
Old 12-27-2002, 10:01 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Bore gauge (bob)

Mine is a Chicago Brand. Number is a 50274. Works good and cost about $125 several years ago. It does from 2" to 6" and comes in a case with 11 ball end anvils and 4 spacers. You don't need any additional gauges with it. After you use one the telescoping snap type are much harder to use correctly.
bob
Sounds good -- my father is looking to see if grandpa has one I can borrow. Thanks for the help guys :cheers:
Old 12-27-2002, 11:03 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: Bore gauge (1979toy)

Do not buy a bore gage. The gage will be useless without gage rings to set the gage. Gage rings will set you back as much as the bore gage in a hurry.

A better idea might be to call the local machine shops about having them check the part for you (even if it's at your house). 20.00 could go a long way.
You can set the dial bore gauges with a micrometer. Make sure you lock the spindle on the mic and check it frequently, as the heat from your hand will change the setting on the dial bore gauge.

Good luck having some one come to your house to check your block. Most machine shops don't want their precision tools leaving the premises.

:seeya JRD77VET
machinist with 20 years experience

{edit} check out http://www.mscdirect.com this is one of major tool suppliers for where I work.

[Modified by JRD77VET, 4:05 AM 12/28/2002]
Old 12-27-2002, 11:12 PM
mengbar
Instructor

Anyone that works on cars or "custom engineering projects" needs to have a McMaster-Car catalog handy. I've used one for 20 years and find them invaluable. Situation, It's Saturday, you have started a major project on you car and snap, you broken some special fastner, bolt, bushing, etc. Chances are you will be able to find just about anything you need in the old MMC catalog.

Guess what, you will have a package delivered to your door within a couple of days if you opt for the UPS red delivery. Have VISA card guarenteed service with a smile.

I just received a box of grade 8 bolts today that I ordered yesterday ($20). You name it...it's in the book. They are on-line to. Makes for good bathroom reading as well.lol :seeya
Old 12-28-2002, 01:39 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Bore gauge (1979toy)

all you need with dial bore gauge is a set of mics. the mic does not even have to be calibrated. you set the DBG to zero on the dial after installing it in the bearings or cylinder bore. then mic the diameter of piston or shaft ,lock the mic,slip it over the DBG and read the clearance direct. simple and works every time. i use soft plastic jaws in my bench vise to hold the DBG while using the mic over it. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Bore gauge

Quick Reply: Bore gauge