C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 11:03 PM
Mikes80L48
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stereo question

I got a Pioneer DEH-14 CD player for Christmas and I was wondering if the dash will need to be modified for the CD player to fit.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:11 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Stereo question (Mikes80L48)

Yes, I'm afraid it will need to be modified. The 80 still had the center hole and two outboad holes for the *****.

If your gage panel cover is good and worth saving I would buy a repo and put it up. If not cut it and get a repo lated if needed. I am going to have to buy a repo and do this soon myself.JIM
Old 12-26-2002, 11:16 PM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: Stereo question

its no big deal i took a cutter and outliuned the new stero and cut the old one out around the pattern of the new one ripeed out the old 1 and put in the new 1 if you take it to the shop they will do that and put a new plate in if you specify
Old 12-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Mikes80L48
Racer

Default Re: Stereo question (PROSOUTH)

My Vette doesn't have the stock stereo in it. Here is a pic of the stereo that is currently in it http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/2sharks//vette_054.jpg. Think mine has already been modified?
Old 12-27-2002, 01:19 AM
Mikes80L48
Racer

ttt
Old 12-27-2002, 01:47 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my stereo this summer and put a sony Xplod CD player in it. I removed the old stereo and then pulled the center console out of the car. Its relatively easy to remove and you dont touch any of the guages, but just disconnect them electrically at the wire harness connectors.

I used an electric 4 inch handheld cutting disc grinder and cut inside of some lines I made on the console and handfit the CD player bracket. I cut a first pass cut relatively close to the lines I made and then slowly worked it out removing material with the grinder until the bracket fit. It turned out great. I also used the existing tranny tunnel back bracket with the extra mounting brackets that come with the stereo to hold it more secure from the backside. Just be careful how much plastic you cut and youll get a proper looking install.

For your existing stereo pic there, you dont need to worry if its stock-aftermarket or what since it is a 2 pole type and probably is using the existing standard cut-out.

Youll probably want to do the speakers too. the newer higher powered 6x9s dont really fit the back install area due to the larger magnets used. There are speaker boxes you can easily fab to fit the rear corner and it looks almost factory. I put interior carpet over mine.

Do an archive search for stereo installation, rear speakers, etc.. and youll see the great jobs many other have done here. Thats what I did.

Brent....
Old 12-27-2002, 07:29 AM
still-learning
Racer

Default Re: Stereo question (MN-Brent)

MN-Brent, (or others)

Do you remember what power sources you used for your radio? As I see it I really only need the following:

- 12v Constant (for clock / settings)
- 12v Switched (for main radio power
- Ground

I am going to not use the existing speaker wire at all. I am just going to run all new... (One of the only advantage of having the whole interior out.)

So the question is where to I find the above w/ a normal wiring harness.

THANKS all.

Tim M.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo question

Quick Reply: Stereo question