C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller Rockers and ratio on stock BB Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 10:06 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Roller Rockers and ratio on stock BB Vette?

All,

I have been toying with the idea of adding a neat set of roller rockers with maybe :cool: a high ratio. Anyone out there have an idea as to what will work on a stock '71 LS-5, 454? Also any recommendations as to the best brand of rockers? As I have a mostly stock exhaust I wonder if I need them on the exhaust end to improve flow? Like I said any ideas would be real welcome.

Thanks

Carbster09
Old 12-27-2002, 06:06 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Roller Rockers and ratio on stock BB Vette? (carbster09)

IMO you will gain nothing with roller rockers on a stock LS5. The factory ratio is 1,7:1 and I wouldn't step up to 1.8:1 as it will wreck your valve springs. If anything I'd consider comp cams roller tips. At $120 for the set they are a good value and you can keep the stock valve covers.

If you want more power, nothing beats a set of headers on a LS5. Look at the website in my sig where I dyno tested various mods on my '71 LS5.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:58 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Roller Rockers and ratio on stock BB Vette? (zwede)

Get Comp Cams 1.72 roller tip which will increase your ratio some as stock measure less than 1.7.

Suggest Increase Power.
More cam rec.!

:cool:
Old 12-27-2002, 09:20 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I agree with the other posts. Roller rockers may look cool in pictures and look neat on the list of "options" on your signature...but they won't do much to add to your performance on a stock engine. Also, you'd have to lose the stock valve covers and put on tall ones for clearance. Which means you will also have to modify your power brake setup to (probably) hydroboost.
Just remember...the stock L-88 and ZL-1 made GOBS of horsepower at VERY high RPM using the stock rocker arms. My suggestion...just add "Crane Roller Rockers" to your signature, like most guys do, and you'll have the "Cool" without the hassle ;)

Dep
Old 12-28-2002, 12:14 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone else, I bought the big bucks roller rockers, had to put in the tall valve covers with some modifications and I really didn't get much gain, maybe 5-8hp, hardly worth the 280 bucks spent. If I had to do it over I would simply go with the roller tip setup in 1.7 and spend the extra on cam or headers. But if your determined to buy full roller rockers, the Gold Race are very good but pricey.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 12-29-2002, 09:32 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

:cool:

Hey thanks for all the input! I will be getting the comp cams roller tip rockers. I figure if I am going to go to the effort of pulling my vlv covers and fixing that leak then I should check the vlv lash and hey why not add a new set of rockers too :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Roller Rockers and ratio on stock BB Vette?

Quick Reply: Roller Rockers and ratio on stock BB Vette?