C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey

Old 12-26-2002, 11:39 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey

Any ideas on the cheapest method available to transport it...

Thanks,
Tony
Old 12-26-2002, 06:29 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey (tabbruzz)

I can tell you the most fun way to transport it......drive it! :D

Otherwise I am sure there are many national car hauling businesses you can find on the net.

AC
Old 12-26-2002, 07:03 PM
Toy4Two
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey (A C)

Driving is probably cheapest too.

To haul a car from Nebraska to Ohio this last summer, $1135 in an enclosed carrier, National chain, and the truck would hold 6 cars.

To haul my Vette from Ohio to Nebraska, same kind of truck, different company, $800.00.

I looked into picking mine up in Ohio, and hauling it back, but I couldn't so it for under $800.00. So I just sat back and SWEATED!!

Good luck with the new Vette :cheers:
Old 12-26-2002, 07:21 PM
dlw
Racer

Default Re: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey (tabbruzz)

Ok now here's a deal for ya. I'm thinking of moving to Colorado and would have to ship my vette also. so........ just buy mine and drive to NJ from here in Virginia and neither of us has to ship! Good idea no?

Its ideas like that one that may make me famous one day :D

Old 12-26-2002, 09:21 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey (dlw)

Is it a small block or big block C3? If it's a small block, wait for the snow storms back east to subside and then drive it if it's in sound condition. Make sure you obtain AAA membership first and carry a cell phone with good access everywhere. I drove my C3 for 3000 miles once without a problem. Of course, that was a small block. A mild big block could also be driven, it's just thirstier.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:10 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Default Re: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey (MoMo)

Thanks guys...The car has a transmission leak and the air leaks out of one of the wheels so driving it is not an option. Also, I have no time to fly there and drive it back. The quotes I've gotten so far to transport it was from $795-$900 door to door. The car is no where near perfect like most of you guys, but I am looking forward to getting it. I believe it has an L48 so it will be ssllloooowwwwww....
Old 12-27-2002, 01:21 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

That's easy to rectify. A 350 engine is capable of impressive power and performance, and can still be kept emissions friendly. The 355 I pulled out of my Corvette, I simply bolted up a tuned port injection system on (1986 TPI) with a home-ported plenum for better flow, and dropped it into the '86 IROC that the TPI came out of. Even with a California-spec 305 computer, that 355 is soooo strong. Except for a traction problem at launch (even with wider-than-stock Dunlop Z-rated rubber), it keeps up with a Subaru WRX, which is far quicker than these cars ever were.

Mill the heads down for 9.5:1 compression (include a good 3-angle valve job), stick a good exhaust and header system on, and get a 221 degree (@ 0.050") cam and either a more modern dual plane intake and carb, or a used TPI system with harness, and you won't believe the improvement in that L-48.

But if you've got a transportation quote under a grand, that's about the best you'll see. Make sure to insure it for the trip too.
Colorado cars have very little, if any rust. Colorado traditionally has not used salt on their roads, and there's typically very little snow except in the mountains.

Where are you buying it from, and what year is it?
Old 12-27-2002, 03:07 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Default Re: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey (MoMo)

MoMo,

Thanks for all the info........I am getting it from a friend. It's a black 1979 and it was originally a NJ car. My friend moved there about 10 years ago with the car. I think he is tired of it and wants to make room in his garage. It will be a fun project.......

Tony
Old 12-27-2002, 03:13 PM
PB82CE
Pro

There's only a few I deal with...
Horseless Carriage and Auto Driveaway (Truck division)
I'm in the shipping biz, and learned a long time ago, don't go for cheap
carriers. It's not worth the aggravation and the hassle. :nonod:
Go to a reputable carrier and pay the price. It will pay off in the long run. :yesnod:
Old 12-27-2002, 11:16 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey (PB82CE)

Horseless Carriage has a very good reputation, but I used an outfit call Weber Transports (no web page, phone #580-772-5224), and they were FANTASTIC. I got a half-dozen quotes, and they were by far the cheapest for enclosed transport ($750 for St. Louis to Austin, TX). Door to door, enclosed carrier, only two cars at at time, picked up the car on day and delivered the next halfway across the country. Very nice, very helpful people.

The problem with the bigger carriers is that they have to fill the trucks, which means if they carry five or ten cars at a time, you could be waiting up to a MONTH to get your car, depending on whether it's one of the first cars they pick up or not (look at the contract--most of them say they have 30 days from pickup to deliver). Also, the big carriers will be pulling your car on and off the truck constantly as they pick up other cars. Avoid the big internet companies like the PLAGUE--most of them don't use their own trucks--they simply act as agents and contract it out to independent truckers, and god knows what sort of handling your car will get. Also avoid open transport--the last thing you want is somebody else's car on the top level dripping fluids on your new vette or flying debris chipping the paint.

JB

[Modified by JB, 10:17 PM 12/27/2002]
Old 12-28-2002, 11:20 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Default Re: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey (JB)

Thanks for the info guys and JB thanks for binging up those points. I guess I will have a lot of questions to ask.....
Old 12-28-2002, 11:38 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Tony Glad to see youre joining the C3ers!!!

Congrats and good luck with it!!!!

BTW- I'll help you out with that slow part!!! :D :cheers: :lol:
Old 12-30-2002, 10:38 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Default Re: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey (Mike69)

Tony Glad to see youre joining the C3ers!!!

Congrats and good luck with it!!!!

BTW- I'll help you out with that slow part!!! :D :cheers: :lol:
Thanks Mike.......and congrats on the new job. The new ECS shop is awesome. I can't wait to get the 79 as the C3s are one of my favorites. Shipping it from CO is a PITA though....

Talk to you soon,
Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possibly getting a c3, but need to ship from Colorado to New Jersey