C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont start...what do you guys think

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 06:14 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car wont start...what do you guys think

She turns over fine and u can hear the car click as she trys to catch, thers is apparently no spark. I have cant reach the starter without a jack but one of my friends crawled under her and saw oil wich had leaked from the manifold on the spark plugs. So, what is the opinion of the forum, new spark plugs, new starter, clean the spark plugs? I have power for headlights and stuff, she just wont start!
Old 12-26-2002, 06:25 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: car wont start...what do you guys think (sharkthehunter77)

if the starter is turning the motor over then you need to focus your attention towards the ignition. pull a plug out,hook the plug wire back up, and hold the end near the motor with an insulated pliers. have your friend turn the key over, and look for spark. if no spark, your possibilities could be bad plug wires, bad coil,bad fuse, bad dist cap & rotor, bad module, ignition switch,or the wire to the hei disstributor had a high resistant open(read almost broke in half) which is what happened to me last summer.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:55 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

It could be your fuel system. Make sure that you are getting fuel to your carb. Take the air cleaner off and look down into the carb, move the accelerator linkage and you should see some gas squirt into the carb. Roger L. Gibbons
Old 12-26-2002, 09:50 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a very simplified manner, three things will cause a car not to start - spark, fuel, and air. If you have power to the starter and it rotates fine, then I would move on to your ignition system. Pull a plug and connect it to its spark plug wire. Either lay it on the block or have a not-so-good friend hold it. :eek: Crank the engine. If your friend yells or you see spark across the gap (this works best in a darkened garage) then your ignition may be working ok. If not, start looking at your coil, your ignition module, or your spark delivery system - plugs, wires, and cap.

If you have spark, then look at your fuel delivery. When you pump on the gas pedal do you get a shot of fuel down the carb throat? If not, start looking at your filter, your fuel pump, or your lines.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To car wont start...what do you guys think

Quick Reply: car wont start...what do you guys think