C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Compressors

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 10:55 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Compressors

Hey guys...

Need an air compressor that can run an impact, and enough air to paint a car.

Anyone have any tips on shopping... the reed valve up at the church is shop air loud. So i dont think I will end up with one of those.

So what are you guys using?

ZD :cheers:
Old 12-26-2002, 04:31 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Air Compressors (ZD75blue)

I picked up a Sears Craftsman a couple of years ago and love it! I use it for all sorts of crazy things including putting air in tires. This Xmas, my buddy got me a rotary cut off tool and a detail spray gun...getting serious now. I picked up a basic air tool kit that included the major tools that works fine for my needs.

My tank is a 60 gallon and I believe the motor is double phase but I got it at a great price and on sale. It was one of those close outs and then I got 10% because I'm a craftsman club member and than had a store manager coupon for $25 or something like that.. When it was all through...great price! It seems like it was a $459 unit and I got it for under $300! And they are on sale as we write.

I keep it in a shed behind shop with its own power supply. I used PVC and run it into shop. PVC has to be rated...mine is 200lb.

Yeah, I not only run tools, I use it to blow excess water off the C5, clear leaves out of the gutter, clean drive in front of shop, remove tires, clean parts...it's great.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:02 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oiless types are very loud.. Take that into consideration. Get as big a unit as you can afford or have room for. They will run lesser percentage of the time. Note the CFM rating and not just the size of the tank. CFM is the most important thing when comparing various units. PSI means very little if the volume isn't there. In other words if you use air faster than the compressor can keep up with, you will always be stopping to wait for the compressor to catch up. Of course with a big tank it takes longer to deplete the supply but it also takes longer for it to build back up. Think CFM :cool:
Old 12-26-2002, 09:26 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Air Compressors (silvervetteman)

I agree with the oil-less noise issue. even the new generation oil-less are very noisy.

I bought a Craftsman 2 hp 120 volt 20 gallon unit about 22 years ago... it still runs but needs an overhaul. It cost $199 back then. I recently tried to buy repair parts.... rings, gaskets and some small parts... and the cost was over $200. You can get parts, but they are ridiculously expensive. I drove down to the local Sears parts depot to at least save on the shipping.... and all they were going to do is order on-line which I could have done from home. To top it off... they were still going to charge me the shipping & handling which was also way over-priced.

So... since rumor was that Campbell-Hausfeld used to build Sears compressors...

I bought a new Campbell-Hausfeld 7 hp 220V 60 gallon unit. It only lasted about 2 years and now needs an over-haul. The pump is spitting chunks that plug up the relief valve so I am constantly taking it apart to clean the relief valve orifice. The rings & gaskets came to about $56. Much more reasonably/fairly priced compared to Sears parts, but... It's a "Commercial Heavy Duty" compressor.... should have lasted longer than 2 years. Even under heavy use. I have the input plumbed into my HVAC system so it gets filtered semi-dry air as well. The pump is located below grade in a cool dry place. I'm not at all happy with it's longevity. I'll use the old beat up 22 year old Craftsman compressor to work on the new <2 year old worn out "Heavy Duty" Campbell-Hausfeld unit.

Pay yer money.... take yer chances.

As the man says... CFM is the critical issue for serious shop use.

Old 12-26-2002, 09:26 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a Sears 60 gal unit for about 15 years that served me quite well. Painted a few Jeeps and did a LOT of wrenching with it - I have a very large assortment of air tools. When I got the 'vette 2 years ago, I decided to upgrade to a "big boy" unit. I ended up with a Curtis 80gal Vertical unit - 2 stage 175psi max. The REAL benefit is the CFM - I think I have something like 90 at 125psi - VERY huge - but it makes an incredible difference. As someone has said before - think CFM and buy one as LARGE as your budget will allow.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:55 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Air Compressors (pws69)

Thanks guys...

Looks like i'm going to have to move a fridge to get some space!

What i'm thinking is a 60 gallon with a 5 horse motor... the reed valve stuff gives me a head ache... so more then likely the old style oil inside the case deal.

One problem i see so far... i have 110 out there... anyone make a reliable 110?

Thanks again guys

ZD :cheers:
Old 12-26-2002, 11:36 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

According to my calculations, 5 horsepower converts to about 3730 watts.... which means you would be drawing about 31 amps at 120 volts. That isn't going to fly very well. I think you'll have to lower your HP requirement, or add a 220 volt circuit to your shop.

Tom
Old 12-26-2002, 03:54 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Air Compressors (Tom454)

220 it is... was doing some looking around :cheers:

Anyone like the Ingersol Rand stuff? sears has a 60 gallon 5 horse with 175 psi max! 999 bucks... i think i could get the members discount on it, but i'm not sure :confused:
Old 12-26-2002, 04:08 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

I figured that I didn't need some industrial duty monster and I like the idea of being able to throw it in my pickup. So I bought a 5 or 6 hp cast iron motor 110/220v 25 gallon tank on wheels.

It can keep up with my air grinder cutter which just sucks the CFM. I think that it's a Porter Cambell or something like that. You pay allot more for the iron cylinders, but they last forever. I bought bouth 110 & 220 cords so all I have to do is switch the jumper on the motor.

Always look at the CFM rating when buying a compressor.

As far as spray painting goes. hi volume low pressure is the only way to paint cars.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:27 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Try Grainger. Perhaps wherever you work the maintenance department buys from them and could maybe get you a deal. I don't think you will get by with anything less than a 5 hp unit for painting. A 5 hp motor should be rated at about 32 amps full load at 230 volts. You will want that hooked up to #8 wire and a 40 amp breaker. If the wiring distance is longer than about 50 feet, I would go with #6 wire. For painting, you should also consider a good quality oil and water seperator on the air outlet. Sometimes these are combined with a regulator. :cheers:

[Modified by Big Fish, 5:29 PM 12/26/2002]
Old 12-26-2002, 10:42 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 220V 5HP 25 gallon (horizontal) Craftsman that is several years old and has served me well. It has a dual-piston aluminum cylinder (not oil-free by choice), which looks to need some gaskets replaced soon. :smash:
Old 12-27-2002, 11:24 PM
mengbar
Instructor

PWS69 has the right idea ZD75blue. If you are going to jump at a air compressor, think ahead. The two-stage compressors on 60 gallon tanks are awesome. You'll need a good 220V circuit to carry the amp load, but you will have more options available to you for air usage .......sand/media blasting. There is no thrill in the world like pulling a cruddy part from beloved and meadia blasting it and shooting some primer and paint on it. Be sure to wear your safety gear. I couldn't get by without my media blasting. Every job looks primo. :thumbs:
Old 12-28-2002, 12:01 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Air Compressors (mengbar)

i have this one and love it...i got it on sale for $285...
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00916554000

Get notified of new replies

To Air Compressors

Quick Reply: Air Compressors