C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's all diss Merlin!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 03:46 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let's all diss Merlin!

Jeez, what a bunch of a-holes. I can't believe all the negative reaction to that video. I even got strife over here, but we all worked through that. These guys are even fellow American V8 brothers & can't show any love at all. Thank you to NoOrdinary91 for at least making an effort. It's funny, there are so many armchair QB's in the world. Here I am trying to make a difference & I get lambasted. It's a frigging break in run for crying out loud!! Posts like this make me want to pull my site off the web completely. The human race just doesn't seem ready. Either that or I'm just a fat spoiled worthless piece of crap. You start seeing something enough, you almost begin to believe it. Either it's true or the world is filled with negative, idiotic people. I still haven't figured out which is reality. The only thing I do know, is it makes me want to not share this thing any more. I don't need this grief. People that really know me, understand that I am one of the nicest, most sincere people you will meet. What have I done to instigate such a reaction? I don't know & honestly - I'm getting to the point that I don't care any more.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...5&pagenumber=1
Old 12-25-2002, 03:57 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Let's all diss Merlin! (Merlin522)

The hell with some of them, we love ya over here even if it is all us "C3ers ever talk about" to quote one of them. Jealousy rears its ugly face in many ways my friend and lashing out at others from behind a monitor is very easy for them to do. Have a great Christmas. :cheers:
Old 12-25-2002, 04:02 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Let's all diss Merlin! (gdh)

Yeah, I know. I'm just venting. It gets frustrating after a while. That isn't something I would ever do. I would never go out & start dissing some person that I know nothing about. There isn't much honor left in the world. Anyway, I'm over it. Merry Xmas everyone!
Old 12-25-2002, 04:05 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Let's all diss Merlin! (gdh)

Who cares what they think. The average age over the is probably like 15 or so.. The car is simply awesome and thats that.. Happy Holidays :seeya :seeya
Old 12-25-2002, 04:14 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Let's all diss Merlin! (CHRIS NJ C5)

Steve- Talk is cheap, don't let it get to you ! These people obviously live in a tunnel and can't apprecite world class engineering & skill :nonod: .

Anyway at the end of the day, see how many wouldn't want to park Merin in their garage, but it's ,you that has it & that's really what matters. :cheers:

They sound jealous to me ;) .
Old 12-25-2002, 04:16 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

f....'em,you accomplished something only a few are able to do.let them talk,enjoy what you built. :cheers:
Old 12-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Don't let em bug ya dude, do what ya gota do and to :reddevil with em...

You did an awesome job with that car! Enjoy it! The only thing that should matter is how you feel about it. Don't let anyone else cause you any stress. :thumbs: Good luck to ya, and Merry Christmas! :crazy:
Old 12-25-2002, 04:22 PM
Paul 73 Coupe
Racer

Why get mad they are jealous....Hell I am jealous but I am not a little weasel. :lol:
Old 12-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What have I done to instigate such a reaction? I don't know & honestly - I'm getting to the point that I don't care any more.
OK, we are here for you brother. Don't let that stuff get you down. There's been plenty of :eek:'s and :cool:'s posted. You know I like doing things different because I like the feel of a wrench in my hand, but you would like that wrench-hand to be someone who can devote all of their time to wrenching on the project. I think many of the posts are from people that simply would do things different, but have not yet gotten to the point in their life where they can accomplish it. You are there, but don't expect those of us with dreams of our own to have the will power to avoid living your dream with you...and dreams are personal and everyone has their own idea of what that dream would be.

I've had some awesome accomplishments in the programming field with an office suite and even a program that does symbolic and numeric calculus, and I made the mistake when I looked to others for congratulations. Most people hate math, and many of them loathe computers, so I'm sure I got hit with a much harder version of what you are getting here and I'm fine now cause I kept at it. Sure, I lost a bit of my initiative at first, but then I focused on continuing with my projects fueled by the self-gratification that I got from my first successes. I learned that I can't look to others for any boost in satiation from what I build. Sure, it meant loneliness and many times dispair cause I knew my efforts were above what anyone else was doing (especially my integrated office suite), but nobody seemed to feel that my products would be of any use (ask anyone with a computer if they have heard of my competitor MSOffice who integrated their apps the following year).

I guess the bottom line is that trying to care what others think will only hurt you. Instead, tell us what you think. I got concerned when I saw you putting your car up for sale...maybe you didn't like it yourself, perhaps you felt like it was a waste of time and money...etc. What do YOU truly think? Answer that for yourself. Does the car stimulate you? It's too late/early in the year to make use of the Pacific Raceway. But, I think it opens sometime in March...the Northwestern Region Sports Car Club of America http://www.nwr-scca.org/ meets with the Western Washington Sports Car Council at the Lyons in Bellevue off 112 on the left just past the Medenbauer (sp?) Center. If you want to put that thing through it's moves then you might want to attend the meeting and get the newest schedules and make suggestions if you have any. I found the meeting very informative and helped me get into the spirit of safe competition...I'd also like to see if your beast can handle a slolum course when autocross starts back up. It's not just for going in one direction is it?

Oh, and Merry Christmas Steve.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:29 PM
TurboVette
Pro

Take heart Merlin, what they say now means nothing. Nobody with experience expects someone with a fresh car to beat on it 1st time out.
Your project is awesome and time will prove the doubters wrong. I went through a lot of flack with my project, but no one laughs much now.
Keep your chin up, it will all be worth it. I hope to see you and the car in Bowling Green this year.
Merry Christmas. :cheers:
Old 12-25-2002, 04:36 PM
Preacher
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Screw'em.... your car is a work of art.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Toy4Two
Safety Car

Default Re: Let's all diss Merlin! (TurboVette)

the world is filled with negative, idiotic people :iagree:
Old 12-25-2002, 04:46 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Wife was just blown away by your video. She heard the engine and stopped watching the Bond marathon, muted the sound and was rivited to the mpeg as it played. Funny thing is U guys were just criusing. The car certainly lives up to its job. Fast, sexy, loud, attracts much attention from members of both sexes(even in digital form). U made the right decision by keeping it! Hell, my wife isnt that into cars but she was very impressed with yours. Also, this proves that the smog sharks are great starting points for super moded cars that retain the standard vette sex appeal!
Old 12-25-2002, 04:50 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Steve, them guys there all critical and all probably have neither the time, money, vision, talent to pull off even 10% of what you did....period....
or they would be doing something similar....
I have great sympathy with you being a large guy....I"m tall too, and headroom is a bitch sometimes.....I sent on another post some suggestion I have proven with my car, as to how it may help your situation there....
this was some time ago in another thread here.....

notice the forum...LS1.com.....well I think you have a few more cubes than they do.....must be inches envy..... :smash: :smash: :smash:

Hey, have a Happy Christmas and Merry New Year.... :D :D :D

GENE
Old 12-25-2002, 04:59 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Let's all diss Merlin! (Tater74Roadster)

Never read the thread and I don't need to. There are different people in this world and you have met both sides. Some will be so jealous that they can't stand it and will do and say anything to make themselves feel better. YOu do not want to know these people in the first place so if they say your car is a piece of crap, you know it's not and that's all that matters.

From reading your posts and following your buildup for the past two or three years I know you are an intellegent guy and any negative feedback ( that is not intended to be helpful ) should just slide off your back and you should be laughing at the peons

Merry Christmas and glad you are keeping the car it is one mean machine :D

One more thing, when I put my rebuilt engine back in it took me almost a year to get it running the way I wanted it so I would imagine that it will take you a fair bit of time to get that beast dialed the way you want it so take your time

[Modified by MotorHead, 4:05 PM 12/25/2002]
Old 12-25-2002, 05:09 PM
lason
Instructor

Default Re: Let's all diss Merlin!

Steve, LS1.com is a joke to begin with. That board is full of 17 year old kids with mommy and daddy's credit cards in their wallets. I have had an account there since I bought my Trans Am 2 years ago and I haven logged in , in over a year because I have had numerous bad run in's with moderators. You car is absolutly beautiful and I bet not one person over there has even rode in a 1200 hp monster (I know I havent) like yours so they have no ground to stand on when they say "I would have at least smoked 'em". Pay no mind to people like that. Hell I downloaded your video and even burned it to disk and let one of my buddy's check it out. He drives an 800 horse supra and he was TOTALLY blown away by Merlin. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with it and I cant wait till the next video!!. Happy Holidays,
Lason :cheers:
Old 12-25-2002, 05:11 PM
L48Shark
Burning Brakes

Location: If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran.
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

LS-1 board, eh? Steve, did you consider the :troll factor of the board? Looks a little thick to me. A buddy of mine owns a C5 and even complains about our own Forum's C5 area a lot. Lots of idiots out there, many of which I think are bored kids trying to get a rise out of people. No more prank calling because of caller ID and *69, so that :bs has to spill over somewhere, right? Fuggeddaboutit! Fortunately our C3 area is quite civil with only the occasional :troll.

On the other hand, if it gets to be more than you can tolerate, I will be happy to take Merlin off your hands. ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Let's all diss Merlin!

Old 12-25-2002, 05:20 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read the topic. I don't much think that i have too to get an idea of its unimportance. I personally have LOVED reading about your project from the start. I think the support and admiration you have far outweighs the naysayers. As disheartening as the negative attention can be I'd say just ignore it, there's only one person you have to justify your ambitions to, and that's yourself. So feel good knowing you own that awesome machine, and have a blast with it. You did a great job...and HAPPY CHRISTMAS! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-25-2002, 05:22 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Steve. I am still waiting for my ride. :D

Still have to get together sometime.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:23 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Let's all diss Merlin! (VETDRMS)

CONSIDER THE SOURCE !!!!!!

G

Quick Reply: Let's all diss Merlin!