C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 chrome mirror question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 05:42 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C3 chrome mirror question

Any of you guys with early C3's have problems with your chrome mirrors being deflected by the wind at highway (or higher) speeds? This has been a real problem for me. To the point that I've been tempted to get a late-C3 type "sport mirror" that is more aerodynamic and immune from being flattened by the wind.

But before I go unoriginal and make the logical choice, has anybody installed brand new chrome mirrors on their C3's? And if so, how do they hold up to the slipstream at speed?
Old 12-24-2002, 06:23 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: C3 chrome mirror question (MoMo)

Just keep your cruising speed under 120mph...no problem. :lol: :lol:

I put a few drops of HIGH QUAILTY super glue from a hobby shop or industrial supply house in the ball socket and it will still adjust but take more effort. Works for me.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:27 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Re: C3 chrome mirror question (silvervetteman)

ditto Silvervetteman.
Roger
Old 12-24-2002, 06:35 PM
ken markusa
Instructor

A brand new mirror will do the same thing i replaced mine back in 1986 and it would droop with the car just idling due to the rough idle of the cam . :crazy: some superglue will do the trick.
Ken :cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 06:59 PM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I just bought a new right and left replacement from Paragon, I only had the left on my 69 and it was doing the same thing the new ones which I hadn't installed yet but the are very firm to adjust, I also heard of the superglue trick but never tried it. :cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 09:59 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

My original is still fine (no unwanted movements due to vibration or wind) and the passenger mirror (from ZIP) I installed a little over a year ago ( http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corv...ightmirror.htm ) is doing great (wood :smash: ).
Old 12-24-2002, 10:03 PM
jlsru
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I installed a new mirror on my 75 four years ago and have had no problems.Bought it from Keen Corvette Parts.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Missileman
Instructor

Ihave purchased several from Corvette Central.Have never had a proble. All have been very stiff and have held up well.
K &M Restorations
Old 12-25-2002, 01:45 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: C3 chrome mirror question (Missileman)

Ditto missleman.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:27 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MoMo,

I went with the Sport Mirrors. I still want to hear more about your new BB in the 68!

Chuck
Old 12-25-2002, 10:11 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: C3 chrome mirror question (Chuck Harmon)

I used on of those spring loaded center punches and punched some dimples on the ball of the mirror. That has tightened it up considerably. I also had a new one that didn't stay tight for very long. With the dimple method it can still be adjusted. Craig :chevy
Old 12-25-2002, 10:35 AM
princeRed72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually repaired mine from a tip I found on the forum a few years ago. Soak the mirror in Lacquer thinner or mineral spirits for sometime. This will loosen the adhesive that hold the mirror to the swivel head. Remove the mirror to expose the rivets. The rivets loosen over time. Just take a small punch and punch some dimples into the rivets. Reglue the mirror to the head using any automotive adhesive. I have doen a number of times :thumbs:
Old 12-25-2002, 12:55 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a problem here...can try clear silicone or super glue
Old 12-26-2002, 05:26 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C3 chrome mirror question (GDaina)

Chuck, the big block is wild. I'm still tuning it, which is really difficult in the winter. It's frustrating because I have to wait for the occaisional nice day to take it out. I could go out and tune it now but there's a very cold wind blowing and it's nice and warm in here.

The Corvette is very loud with it's 4 inch exhaust. It sounds like a funny car cruising down the street. It's a lot of fun to drive. Goes sideways with just a blip of the throttle, without ever getting into the secondaries.

I'm already seriously planning to swap out the stock trailing arms for offset trailing arms to allow use of 275/50R-15 drag radials.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:37 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

There was a post about this quite a while ago. The gist of it is that the securing socket, under the mirror, is loose. If you want to keep your original mirror, here is what I did to secure the ball in its socket.

1. remove the mirror - requires removal of the door inner panel, of course
2. soak the mirror head overnight in lacquer thinner - it will NOT affect the mirroring - you will need a container big enough for the mirror and at least 3" deep to allow the thinner to reach the glue
3. this will soften the glue that holds the glass to the steel backing
4. gently pull the mirror out and you will probably find four blobs of old adhesive - scrape these out
5. play with the mirror head and see how it all works and how loose it is
6. lightly stake the hold down mechanism with a sharp center punch - remember you can always go back and hit the punch a tad bit heavier but you can't undo a too-heavy hit
7. once you get the mirror head to the desired level of tightness, reglue your mirror with some good, high quality adhesive. I used a silicone based adhesive
8. reattach the mirror and look at all of the cars that are behind you :cheers:

Gary
Old 12-26-2002, 10:48 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: C3 chrome mirror question (GaryS)

There was a post about this quite a while ago. The gist of it is that the securing socket, under the mirror, is loose. If you want to keep your original mirror, here is what I did to secure the ball in its socket.

1. remove the mirror - requires removal of the door inner panel, of course
2. soak the mirror head overnight in lacquer thinner - it will NOT affect the mirroring - you will need a container big enough for the mirror and at least 3" deep to allow the thinner to reach the glue
3. this will soften the glue that holds the glass to the steel backing
4. gently pull the mirror out and you will probably find four blobs of old adhesive - scrape these out
5. play with the mirror head and see how it all works and how loose it is
6. lightly stake the hold down mechanism with a sharp center punch - remember you can always go back and hit the punch a tad bit heavier but you can't undo a too-heavy hit
7. once you get the mirror head to the desired level of tightness, reglue your mirror with some good, high quality adhesive. I used a silicone based adhesive
8. reattach the mirror and look at all of the cars that are behind you :cheers:

Gary
Mine has a mind of its own at speeds over 60 MPH, so I plan to try this fix in an effort to keep the car original. Thanks for the tip!

Get notified of new replies

To C3 chrome mirror question

Quick Reply: C3 chrome mirror question