C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Detailing Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 05:23 PM
68350hp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Detailing Tips?

The engine on my '68 really looks like it's over 30 years old. I want to spruce it up a bit without tearing it apart. Can you guys give me some tips?
Old 12-24-2002, 06:21 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Engine Detailing Tips? (68350hp)

Simple Green or Castrol Purple Degreaser and a pressure wash is good to get rid of most of the grease and road grime. If you are going to try and repaint the engine block or accessories, aluminum foil is great for masking off hoses, wires and other parts you don't want painted.
Plastic wire loom is great for covering 30+ year old wire bundles and silicon spray or Armorall is good for putting a shine on old radiator/heater and vacuum hoses, it also works good on underhood plastic parts.
Cheap replacement parts like A-Arm covers and underhood rubber seals are easy to replace and will really dress up the underhood appeareance.
There are paint systems available from Eastwood's that try and duplicate the gold anodized finish on wiper door actuator and head light actuators really dress up the underhood.
Also don't forget the underside of the hood, a dirty dust underhood will really take away from the way the engine looks.
The rest is just details... :D
Old 12-24-2002, 08:56 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of pics and some info on my web site. I did it without removing the engine. It took some work, but it depends on what you want the end result to look like and how much time you want to spend.
http://home.hvc.rr.com/joesvette/engine.htm
Old 12-25-2002, 12:26 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Engine Detailing Tips? (78Vette-SA)

Warm up the engine a little, then use EasyOff Oven spray. it works great on that 30 year old grease......
Old 12-25-2002, 04:32 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Engine Detailing Tips? (78Vette-SA)

Hey Joe:

Nice works and pics! I just got a new detail spray gun for Christmas and you know what I'm gonna do with it?

I'm in same situation...everything else looks good but engine compartment. Of course, I need more details like do you get a new decal for the air cleaner or cover the old somehow?

Did you just use can or spray gun of some sort?
Did you paint inside fender walls? How do you get around hoses, wiring, etc?
Would removing the engine permit more detailing?

Nice work with valve covers...you're SA must be an L-82.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:44 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Engine Detailing Tips? (hunt4cleanair)

wow joe! excellent work there, even more considering you didn't pull the engine :cool:
Old 12-25-2002, 10:57 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Hey Joe:

Nice works and pics! I just got a new detail spray gun for Christmas and you know what I'm gonna do with it?

I'm in same situation...everything else looks good but engine compartment. Of course, I need more details like do you get a new decal for the air cleaner or cover the old somehow?

Did you just use can or spray gun of some sort?
Did you paint inside fender walls? How do you get around hoses, wiring, etc?
Would removing the engine permit more detailing?

Nice work with valve covers...you're SA must be an L-82.
Thanks!

All the decals are new. The old ones were pretty worn and would not have looked right against the new paint. For the wiring I removed the front harness from the firewall socket. I degreased all the wired and then toook 3m cleaner to them. They looked like new when done and the hraness was still in good shape so I kept it.

I replaced the vacuum lines (the new lines with stripes added a little something). I used Bumper and Trim black on all the fan shrouds, A/C Ducts, and Distrbutor cover.

I definately painted all inside the fenderwells and crossmebers/control arms (semi-gloss GM Underhood black). I took paper and wrapped the engine up and did all around. I removed most hoses except the heater hoses. I dropped them down to the floow under the car. The A/C lines I just wrapped with paper and tape.

I used 000 steel wool on all the fittings and A/C lines. I used a wire wheel on a drill for for the Alternator and Air Pumps.

I then dropped paper all around the engine and a piece of cardboard along the firewall and got in there and painted the engine as best I could. I used Cast Blast on the steering box and master cylinder. I used Eastwoods Gold Carb Renew on the Carb, AIR Fittings, and Brake Booster.

Removing the engine would have allowed more areas that aren't seen to get covered. It also would have allowed a better job around the lower sides of the engine. But all-in-all, after three years, it still looks great.

Joe..
Old 12-28-2002, 09:24 PM
68350hp
Racer

I really don't want to tear too much apart. I also can't start the car because it has been sitting for over a decade. But i don't think it is that bad. The paint is still on the valve covers, the air cleaner lid needs changing, the the firewall needs painted by the emissions sticker, all the stickers in the compartment need replaced, and the exhaust manifolds need redone.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:13 PM
Songman
Intermediate

Default Re: Engine Detailing Tips? (Desertdawg)

I only use Easy-Off if I am going to repaint an engine. It does get rid of the grease but also gets rid of the shine and leaves everything looking very dull.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:27 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Engine Detailing Tips? (Songman)

Isn't Easy-Off harsh on rubber parts?
Old 12-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

I really don't want to tear too much apart. I also can't start the car because it has been sitting for over a decade.
3 thing you have to start with
1 get the car running
2nd get the car running
and lastley get the car running.

Realley get you car running properley,then look into your brakes and make sure they are safe,then go foward with an engine cleaning. I dont know your cars history but if its a original virgin you may want to go the NCRS survivor type judging.

If its not original/virgin once you get it running and safe detailing my engine bay was one of the most personal gratifing projects on my car.Its realley quite simple to do but labor intensive.When you see another engine bays as joes above you realley apreciate all the work that some one has put into it and respect them for it.Also when you get a guy like joe looking at your engine bay he understands what you have put into it and will definatley comment on it.
take it off, clean it,paint it, and put it back on

this is a picture of my engine bay

CLICK ON THIS FOR FULL SCREEN
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/classi..._bay_dec02.jpg

BY THE WAY JOE EXCELLENT JOB ON YOUR ENGINE BAY
Old 12-29-2002, 05:48 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Default Re: Engine Detailing Tips? (Ih2lose)

Hey Ih2lose:

Is that your license plate as well? Also, that L72 is an interesting ci/hp configuration. What do you know about it?

BTW, engine compartment looks great. How much more difficult is to pull the motor and detail the compartment than to leave engine in place and work around it?
Old 12-29-2002, 09:52 AM
68350hp
Racer

I would say the car is original. It's matching numbes, original paint(i think), and it has the rare Polar White/Tobacco color combo. I does have brown velor seats in it, an el-cheapo aftermarket radio, and a Holley carb. Besides that, it's all stock.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:22 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Hey Ih2lose:

Is that your license plate as well? On one of my other cars I have that plate.My other hobby is gambeling

Also, that L72 is an interesting ci/hp configuration. What do you know about it?
It pulls real HARD,I often think of the luckey person who got to go into a show room way back when and say give me the fastest car you got ,and then driving away in this Knowing that not too much was going to beat it.I have also thought of the poor salesmen going out for a test drive with less then skilled driver wanting to see what they could do with it,It is a very predictable car and I feel what ever trouble I get into I can easely get it back in line.I allowed a fellow to drive it and was shocked at how fast he got it outof shape and facing the wrong way,( I will never allow another person toshow me how good they can drive ) I had a knee surgery done in oct and have not driven the 66 since I may have it out today for a short ride.I just hate the road salt getting on the car

BTW, engine compartment looks great. How much more difficult is to pull the motor and detail the compartment than to leave engine in place and work around it?

I have done lots and lots of cars and have always pulled the motor out to detail the engine bay,Too much stuff going on not to.I used to start out thinkiung the motor is not coming out but there are allways spots you cant clean or repaint now I just pull it wright away and dont kid my self,Alot of folks say I am crazy but it realley not that much more work to pull the motor out on a proper engine detail
Old 12-30-2002, 05:47 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

I ask because I when I get ready to do the compartment...I want to do it right including the engine. The 78 only has 32k miles and while original...has been driven and shows in the compartment. While everything is clean and hoses shiney, surfaces have lost their luster. Engine paint is eiher missing or stained from leaking coolant and it would seem to do it right...it's gotta be out.

I was asking about L72 because I noticed that year while rated at 450...down graded to 425 and saw the 450 hp decal on the air cleaner...so suspected it might be a screamer
Old 12-30-2002, 08:17 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

I was asking about L72 because I noticed that year while rated at 450...down graded to 425 and saw the 450 hp decal on the air cleaner...so suspected it might be a screamer
The car was originally rated at 450@6300 rpm in the earley advertizements for the optional motor.Then it was rated at 425@5300rpms same motor same every thing except they used a lower rpm rating to advertize HP.My car is an earley 1966 car and was told it should have the 450 sticker then other have told me none came thru with that sticker.I now have a 425 sticker on the air cleaner I realley dont know the facts on this yet.

On your car you guys with the low milage C3's should be carefull because a car can only be original/virgin once and if you can you guys should try and keep the survivor status if possible.and have it judged that way

By the way I love the colors of your C5
Old 12-31-2002, 04:49 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Thx on the C5 colors...yeah its pretty cool driving with top down. Always draws attention.

The black book shows the 450 hp option so when you say "I was told" by whom were you told? What's build date and VIN?

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Detailing Tips?

Old 12-31-2002, 08:49 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

build date is b 29 5
I dont have the vin with me and the car is up on the lift.

Was your car in a magazine I do remember reading a tidbit on a first year mil yellow with a red gut and strings had to be pulled to order it.
Actually I know I read this but was that your car if yes tell me the mag and the month and I will mail you my copy (I save all my mags and when I meat some one whos car was in it I mail it to them)

Lastley on who told me about my motor sticker it was stated by several other mid year owners that the sticker never came thru and the sticker I have on it was from a 1970 ls6.I became tired of exspaining my earley build date (from my understanding mine was built the first or last day of a strike)So I have given in on the hp rating untill I can document the information I will keep the 425 sticker on it
Old 01-01-2003, 05:46 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Well, I like the 450 hp sticker on it...it's the more power thing! Yeah the car was in the Jul 2002 issue of Corvette Fever. In fact, I include the link in my sig.

NCRS has a guy that specializes in big block and he would know the ins and outs of what was produced when. I'll run it by him and sure he'll want the VIN...so when you get it just pass it along.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:37 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

A tip for when you get there (and I learned this from a restorer friend.) Lemon Pledge is great for maintaining painted parts and rubber in the engine compartment. I spray it on a clean rag and lightly rub it on the areas I want to clean. For the chrome I use regular polish, and am careful around the decals so I don't curl an edge. Here's mine-

Quick Reply: Engine Detailing Tips?