C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a simple headlight question :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 03:35 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default a simple headlight question :)

Lately, only one of my headlights will pop up. It will start to go up, but then fall back down. Is there a vaccum leak somewhere since it's trying to come up, or is it one of those acutator things? The other light goes up perfect. One other thing, while the car is off, neither headlight will go up or down. It's driving me crazy :crazy:
Old 12-24-2002, 03:51 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: a simple headlight question :) (corvettemaster)

Take hose for hose off of the vac relay that does work and hook up to the actuator that doesn't. If the act works on that relay than the other relay is bad. If it doesn't, then your actuator is leaking, which is very common and fairly easy to repair. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:03 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

When car is off, your vac tank is suppose to supply about two ups and downs. You have a bad check valve or leak in the tank, thus no reserve vaccum, I'am guessing.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:16 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: a simple headlight question :) (72GACRZR)

When car is off, your vac tank is suppose to supply about two ups and downs. You have a bad check valve or leak in the tank, thus no reserve vaccum, I'am guessing.
Sounds like my problem, but I haven't a clue on how to fix it. They don't go up or down when the car is off and one headlight pops up after I shut the car off, unless I release the pressure (pull the ****, then push it back in).
Old 12-24-2002, 05:32 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Default Re: a simple headlight question :) (72GACRZR)

Yep. I just checked my check valve, and its no good. That explains why the headlights won't go up or down after it is turned off. While I was checking that, I also took a look at the vaccum filter, and it is very very dirty. Probably need to replace that too.
Also, since the one headlight does try to pop up, I figure it is either the acutator going bad, or it is leaking. I read, and the relays basically tell the headlights when to go up and down. So since the headlight does try to go up, its probably not the relay.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:08 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a good article on replacing the headlight actuator seals (a very common problem)... http://www.zip-corvette.com/has.htm

I imagine it could still be a relay even though it tries to come up, and as stated switching the vacuum lines from the relays around so driver's relay tries to open passenger light and vice-versa is a good test (of course so is a vacuum gauge if you have one).

Get notified of new replies

To a simple headlight question :)

Quick Reply: a simple headlight question :)