C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tighten parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 12:44 PM
KNicholas2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tighten parking brake?

OK, another dumb question.... How do I tighten up the slack in the parking brake on my "77 coupe?

Kim Nicholas
Seattle
Old 12-24-2002, 01:12 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: How to tighten parking brake? (KNicholas2)

Follow the cable from the tunnel. it goes around a pulley, then branches off in 2 directions to each rear wheel. Where it branches off there is an adjuster. It would be wise to first make sure the brake shoes are adjusted properly, which is done through the access hole on the rotors. The access hole on the rotors need to be positioned straight down to adjust the star wheel for the e-brakes. Often these parts get so rusted up nothing wants to cooperate. Welcome to Vette e-brakes!
Old 12-24-2002, 02:21 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Here's a link to a good article on parking brake repair & adjustment... http://rowleycorvette.com/corvette_repair.html

The very last picture shows the adjustment hole. Hopefully, your rotor is on the hub correctly, because if the hub & rotor hole aren't lined up, you won't be able to get to the star wheel until they are.

I'd do most of the adjustment at the wheels and then "fine tune" the rest with the turnbuckle on the cables.

It took quite a bit of fiddling, but I finally got mine adjusted right.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:13 AM
tippi58
Racer

Default Re: How to tighten parking brake? (jerryp58)

Great post Jerry.. very informative. :iagree:

Vehicle owners in NZ have a WOF (Warrant of Fitness) every 6 mths. Goes through a garage examinatiion on brakes, tyres, glass, safety equipment, rust etc etc. :cry

I know I have to adjust the h brake up then after the WOF back the damn things off.:smash:

Man, not one of Chevs greatest design ideas.. goes with the power assisted steering I spose !! : :chevy

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 12-25-2002, 04:01 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The parking brake system is really poor quality...almost like an afterthought. There is a drum and two shoes. The shoes are connected together at the bottom of the shoes. Where they meet is an adjusting nut accessed through the disk brake rotor...this adjustment is for the "toe-in" and once it's adjusted then it should never need to be adjusted again as long as any new shoes are the exact same specs as the originals.

As indicated by other posts the brake cable running from the emergency brake handle attaches to a loop of cable which runs between the two wheels...the cable coming from the brake handle ends in a threaded bolt and there is a hook which slides on the bolt and attaches to the loop...there should be two nuts which can be loosened so that the hook part can slide along the bolt and thus adjust the play.

My brakes used to work properly...which means that I didn't hear anything from the e-brake until I used it, and when I used it my rear wheels would lock up at about 25mph...this is the test indicated in the 1985 California Bureau of Automotive Repair to ensure safe stopping power in the event that the primary brake system completely fails. I had to let a repair shop "fix" my broken rear spindle and when they "repaired" it they also had to "repair" the emergency brakes. Now, my e-brakes lock up when going in reverse and the e-brake engaged barely slows the car down even at 25 it would take about 100 feet for it to stop. Or when I got the car back and adjusted it so that there is no problem while backing up the ebrake simply will not stop the car under 1000 feet (didn't let it roll that far to find out). I'm looking at replacing my entire e-brake system sometime soon. @*$&*(#*& repair shops can kiss my @#$(@*#&$(*!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To How to tighten parking brake?

Quick Reply: How to tighten parking brake?