C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it worth????

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 08:01 AM
TMCADAMS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it worth????

I ma going to look at a '72 on Friday. Here is what is has let me know if you guys think this is a good deal.

'72 T-Tops
454 Automatic
Completly restored and all original (# match)
New emblems and rechromed original bumpers
Only thing it need is a paint job. The car is final preped to spray.
Guy wants to get rid of it due to his health. I know him said he would sell it to me if I kept it original.
Asking 12,500. Probably offer him 11,500
Old 12-24-2002, 08:10 AM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: What is it worth???? (TMCADAMS)

A numbers-matching '72 big block can only grow in value. Although numbers-matching doesn't directly matter to me, I recognize that the market values it. Therefore, before buying any car with numbers-matching as a selling point, you must do your homework.

What does the owner really "mean" by numbers-matching? Block and VIN agree? Block, VIN and tranny agree? Block, VIN, tranny and differential agree? See what I mean? There are many, many, many items that go into a truly numbers-matching car. Things like..........does the window glass have the "correct" date code for the build date of the car? It gets only crazier from here on if numbers-matching is of high importance to you..........so do the research.

Again - what does the seller really mean by numbers-matching?

Good luck with what "could" be a good purchase.

P.S. Get the car in the air and check the frame over very closely, especially near the kick-up area.
:seeya
Old 12-24-2002, 08:11 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 181 Likes on 85 Posts

If it is perfect other than paint, then it is worthy of a great paint job. Assuming $5k for the paint, $16.5-17.5k is in the ballpark of a "good deal" for a perfect 72-454.

However, I would seek a second expert opinion on how perfect-other-than-paint this car is.

Good luck.

:cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 08:15 AM
TMCADAMS
Advanced

I know the guy (family friend). When he says everything original he means everything original. He has redone everything except paint it. I know that all the engine, drivetrain even the galss are all original. He painted the frame once all the surface rust had been taken car of. This guy is ****, he even had the bumpers sent here to Atlanta to be rechromed (show quality).
Old 12-24-2002, 08:18 AM
TMCADAMS
Advanced

Ohh also original color is Steel Cities Gray w/blk interior
Old 12-24-2002, 08:40 AM
Toy4Two
Safety Car

Ohh also original color is Steel Cities Gray w/blk interior
My favorite color, I'd go for it!!

Old 12-24-2002, 09:04 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal to me...Not GREAT but well worth it ..........

[Modified by Alwyn678, 11:59 AM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 09:06 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Sounds like a good deal... However - 10k would be a GREAT deal...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 12-24-2002, 11:54 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What other options? If it has AC the value is more.

Agree with above to get someone who knows early C3s and check everything. When you go to look pay close attention to interior and engine condition. Make sure everything (wiper door, headlights, heating/cooling, etc.) works. Has the engine been rebuilt? Interiors can cost alot when you have to replace things.

IMO, I think he's a little high considering it needs a paint job which will not be cheap. Good luck and let us know how it pans out. :cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 05:54 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: What is it worth???? (Marks69BB)

If nothing needs to be done except for paint, $11k sounds well worth it to me for a numbers matching, all original car :yesnod: . But, get an expert/mechanic's opinion on how "perfect" the condition is.

[Modified by Ryan77, 5:57 PM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-26-2002, 01:35 AM
Rooster
Advanced

after reading the other comments that the other forum members - all good considerations - my question to you - would you regret passing up this deal? boils down to how bad you want the car - will wifey like it? will it put any financial strain on you.. etc. etc.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:12 AM
TMCADAMS
Advanced

Default Re: What is it worth???? (Rooster)

Hey Guys,

Well went to loko at the car. It was about as bad as I thought. The body had been sanded "in most areas". The front end need a heavy coat of primer to cover teh scuff marks. The engine compartment looked excellent and the engine ran perfect. The vaccum lines need to be ran for the wipers and headlights. The guy did have all the peices to complete the exterior. He had all new emblems rechromed bumpers. the gas tank had been taken out and completely gone through and restored. The interior was trash though. He had no parts for the interior. You could save the dash and and the gauge bezel. You would have had to clean the gauges or buy new ones, the center concole was useless, needed seat covers (leather) all carpet, door panels, and assoc hardware. I think it would have cost me about $8000 more to complete ($3500 for paint and body job and $4500 for interior) plus he wanted 12500 and would not budge. I was going to offer $8000 but said he would not take a penny under 125000.The guy thinks he is "going to have a $38-$40k car when he is done". I told if you think that you better take it off the frame and completely restore the chassis. I think he will have around a $22k car.
He was the type guy that is into everything and thinks he has something that he does not. The car has been setting up for 3 yrs so it will be there yrs to come. Those type people annoy me. You wnat to buy it and bring it back to life and they would rather sit on it.
Anyway my search continues for a bumper car. If anyone knows of one for sale for under $15000 let me know. I would like to find one here in the south so it will be in driving distance.

Get notified of new replies

To What is it worth????

Quick Reply: What is it worth????