C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes emissions regulations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 05:47 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Who makes emissions regulations?

Who's the man that says that we cant have street legal BB's with side pipes and all the goodies and no cat's? I mean I about to buy my second 82' and it has side pipes but cant pass emissions. Who are these fella's that say that we should have clean air? Don't they realize that we rather wear gas masks smell the #110 octane but drive insane machines, than drive freakin hybrids?

Sorry bro's I just had to let it out!

Paul,
Old 12-24-2002, 10:43 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Who makes emissions regulations? (Darkness)

I don't mind air emission standards but the cost to us "we the peons" for such miniscule effects on the environment is outlandish. Only 1-2% of all cars fail air emissions tests, and I bet the majority of those failures can be limited to cars greater than 10 years old. Nevertheless, in spite of the low percentage of failures the government bureaucrats demand that every car owner pay $40 a year (how do you say "tax") to have the test. There is a formula to determine if the improvement in air quality (which is zilch) can justify the $40 "tax". The formula shows that it doesn't. In Houston it is proven that most of the hydrocarbons in the air come from refineries and TREES! Car emissions rank third, but the emission test isn't really doing a thing to improve the air quality because almost all cars pass the test. :mad
Old 12-24-2002, 11:43 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Who makes emissions regulations? (virtue4u)

I don't mind air emission standards but the cost to us "we the peons" for such miniscule effects on the environment is outlandish. Only 1-2% of all cars fail air emissions tests, and I bet the majority of those failures can be limited to cars greater than 10 years old
Actually I read a study somewhere (done in CA) that said that the majority of the cars that fail are between 4-7 years old. these cars (with their modern technology, and self adjusting fuel delivery and timing) can run easily for that period of time with little or no maintenance. Whereas older cars (especially those such as ours) require so much more maintenance to stay on the road that they (as a group, there are obvious exceptions) dont pollute as much.

I believe the study also took into account that there are many more cars in that younger age bracket than the older, so that in combination they pollute more.

I am of the opionioin that if it passes all the tests they can throw at it (with the exception of the visual test) then it shouldnt matter what you have under the hood. Alas, who ever said that Government was logical :rolleyes:
Old 12-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Who makes emissions regulations? (virtue4u)

You forgot the cows. Very significant source of methane ;) .
Old 12-24-2002, 12:09 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Who makes emissions regulations? (Darkness)

The regs are made by the EPA, with input from pseudo-science types from Kalifornia....research based most ly on misunderstanding and political leanings...in other words...bullsh it.....

GENE
Old 12-25-2002, 09:03 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Who makes emissions regulations? (mrvette)

I feel that I have to jump in on this one guys. Sorry to disagree, but on a mass-basis our atmosphere is the most fragile part of our planet. Go into a library and find a picture of a nearby city taken 30-40 years ago - you may be surprised at how smoggy and crappy it looks. Air quality is much better today and something we tend to take for granted. I agree that the small number of enthusiast vehicles makes little difference and testing is a PIA but it's a small price to pay for the freedom our vehicles provide us.

Some info: http://www.cleanairprogress.org/clea...tion-facts.asp
Old 12-25-2002, 04:10 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Who makes emissions regulations? (Frank75)

Go into a library and find a picture of a nearby city taken 30-40 years ago - you may be surprised at how smoggy and crappy it looks.
You dont even have to go half that far - take a look at what LA was like in the early 70's - I remember in San diego when we would get warnings about LA smog coming down the coast. This stuff killed people :eek:

It isnt nearly as bad now. I have no problem with the existance of the regs, I would just like a little more leeway in their interpretation. Why should it matter HOW I achieve and maintain my required emissions levels, so long as I DO achieve and maintain them.

Peace, Love and Merry X-mas

Get notified of new replies

To Who makes emissions regulations?

Quick Reply: Who makes emissions regulations?