C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about doing the prep work for new paint job''' Winter project......

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 10:21 PM
White 68
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thinking about doing the prep work for new paint job''' Winter project......

Yes I think I have talked myself into stripping and fixing any minor body part problems...Where should I look for information or Websites that detail this process..I,m in no rush so any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated ...Tim
Also I plan on doing a color change to a blue and replacing the hood with a L88 style hood... :cheers:
Old 12-23-2002, 10:28 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about doing the prep work for new paint job''' Winter project...... (White 68)

I will give my brief input. Use the razor blade method to take off the paint. Get 3M 180 grit sand paper. A 17.5 in sanding board and a rubber sanding block. I also use a jitterbug sander for "Flat surfaces". Just take your time. It is nice if you have a shop vac handy to suck up the paint dust every evening. It really does not take a lot of skill to stip a car it does though take patients. Do not hurry, be careful around the curves and lines.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:42 PM
White 68
Drifting

Default Re: Thinking about doing the prep work for new paint job''' Winter project...... (76 Red)

Can you explain the razor blade method it sure sounds less toxic since I,ll have the car in the garage during the winter and dont really want to store it outside...I was looking into the chemical strip method, but would like to stay in the warm garage and not worry about the car sitting out...Please anyone with any input is more than welcome to join in..Tim :D
Old 12-23-2002, 10:58 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Thinking about doing the prep work for new paint job''' Winter project...... (White 68)

It is pretty easy but I warn you do not get carried away you must still pay attention. I use one of the scraper blades that comes with the plastic handle get them at Lowe's or Home Depo. I do not know why but I always start at the rear of the car. Just get the blade to dig into the paint as if you are scaping ice from your windshield. as long as you are on a flat surface you will be able to run the blade any distance taking a 2" strip of paint off, it gets a little more difficult when you get to curves but you will figure that out. Just try to take off the color. do not try to get primer and sealer off you "will" nick the car a lot. if you are not digging in hard all this nicks will come out when you sand down the primer and sealer. 2 people can completely scrape the paint off a car in 2 days. I have done it this quick a couple times. I have tried the chemical stippers I really do not like them. It seems to take a lot longer and is very messy. Hope this helps.
Give me a yell if you need anything else
Bob
Old 12-23-2002, 11:01 PM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

my wife and i also did the razor blade thing just be very careful not to nick the fiberglass or you will end up having to fix that too. have fun we did. i still find little chip of red paint in the garage from time to time.
mike :cheers:
Old 12-23-2002, 11:26 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

I'm doing the prep work now on my '75 as a winter project. I am not using the razor blade method but am following Lars' paper on prepping and painting a Corvette. I trust Lars' and have seen pictures of his fantastic work. Lars' recommends sanding. It's tedious and requires many hours but I'm convinced that to get the best curves, you must sand by hand.

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 12-23-2002, 11:53 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about doing the prep work for new paint job''' Winter project...... (VolVette)

I also liked the method that 67Heaven used, soda blasting. Only took a few hours and got into all the nooks and crannies without doing any damage to the fibreglass. It also polishes the chrome at the same time. :cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 11:57 AM
Bobbyg75
Instructor

What about door jambs and tail/side light wells? Chemical strip?
Old 12-24-2002, 12:26 PM
White 68
Drifting

Default Re: Thinking about doing the prep work for new paint job''' Winter project...... (gdh)

I am looking at a new air compressor ...soada blasting ???sounds messy ...Any infio on his project during the paint stripping??Thanks :cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 01:10 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I am looking at a new air compressor ...soada blasting ???sounds messy ...Any infio on his project during the paint stripping??Thanks :cheers:
Go to 67HEAVEN's website it has a step by step process.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about doing the prep work for new paint job''' Winter project......

Quick Reply: Thinking about doing the prep work for new paint job''' Winter project......