C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked!

:) Man I'm siked! My buddy Marty Just finished my intercooler! :thumbs: I went over to his house last week wondering if It would ever get done and let me tell you, It was worth the wait. He showed up with it today all polished up and ready to go and said "Just don't stand there with your mouth open, lets get it mounted". :yesnod: :smash: The fit was just like my cardboard design. Its cool seeing a plan come together. Thanks go to my kindergarten teacher for the cardboard arts and crafts instruction. :lol:

The Intercooler will be forward of the motor laying flat between the frame extension and scooping up the air from under the car. Two 8" fans will also be mounted on top of both 10X12X5" cores. I designed a special 13” tall vertical radiator to fit in front of the Intercooler to keep things cool (still a work in progress). The hot charge from the turbos will go into each side and merge into the 4" outlet in the middle. A GReddy type "S" BOV will be fitted on the top of the Intercooler at the merged center section. Now I can get busy fitting and running the turbo plumbing. Here's a few pics to get a better idea of the setup. Happy Holidays to all you guys... :crazy:

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 2:15 AM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked! (Stingraycrazy)

Very impressive. :cool:
Old 12-23-2002, 09:34 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked! (Corey 68)

:eek: :cool:

That is very cool, what is the motor build and power expectations. We all know what Monty did.

Very good worksmanship in the whole car. :chevy
Old 12-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked! (69 N.O.X. RATT)

N.O.X. Rat,

Monty has set the bar for a twin Turbo system and I don't have any plans to jump over it... I'm only looking for 600bhp or so on pump gas and if I get a little more that’s :cool: with me. The car is being built mainly for cruising events and some racing. I chose to build a turbo setup for the challenge and because I wanted to have complete control over the power curve for autocross and street driving. Turbos are well suited to this task with boost controllers. I should be able to set the power level from mild to wild with just a flick of a switch. :crazy:
Old 12-23-2002, 10:22 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked! (Stingraycrazy)

600 hp, you cam will only have about .300 lift :lol: I guess you will have to run less than 5 lbs of boost to detune it that much. I'll bet that 600 hp turns into 750 or so in a few months aftering driving the car.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:27 PM
lason
Instructor

All I can say is "that car is a true work of art!" very :cool: man!!
Old 12-23-2002, 10:32 PM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Default Re: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked! (lason)

Got $$$$$

Damn...That's nice looking... :eek:
Old 12-23-2002, 11:27 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you guys would quit posting these Twin Turbo InterCooled EFI engines!

Kinda makes me want to do one to go in my El Camino.

How would it work with a stock LS1 ?

What would it cost to buy the turbos and besides the plumbing & kooler what else would be necessary? JIM :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 12-23-2002, 11:50 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked! (69 N.O.X. RATT)

Hopefully if everything comes together and I can get a break from my work schedule I'll have it ready for dyno tuning this spring. I know the motor is capable of allot more HP but I really don't need to push It. I'll have plenty of horsepower on reserve to break my street tires loose at highway speeds if needed. My plan from the start was to make an all around ProStreet machine which would feel at home on the street or track.

Thanks for all of the complements guys, I'm really happy how it’s turning out so far... :crazy:
Old 12-23-2002, 11:52 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked! (PROSOUTH)

I want one :cry
Old 12-24-2002, 12:00 AM
lason
Instructor

It wouldnt be a good idea at all for an LS1 in stock trim unless you kept the boost at around 5 psi because the LS1's are no very boost friendly with there high 10:1 compression.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:27 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

ProSouth,

Monty and others have shown that there are many ways to get from point A to B when it comes to a Twin Turbo buildup. For the most part you need to ask yourself what’s the Max horsepower you need for your application and then build it from there matching turbos to your engine combo. Just like camshafts you need to pick the ones that suit the RPM and power curve of the application. I can tell you one thing that has helped me out the most is to research, research, and research.

As far as the price goes, it depends on how much horsepower you want to make and how **** you are about the details. I've seen a simple suck through system capable of lifting the front wheels of a heavy 72 Chevell with a minimal budget. On the other extreme look at Monty's awesome ride on his web page ($$$$$$.$$). He’s covered every detail to the extreme. You also need to look at the layout of your engine compartment to see how much room you have or how hard it would be to fit all of the turbos, plumbing, exhaust and intercoolers without breaking the bank. The harder it is the more expensive it will be. I may be optimistic to think I will have enough time or money to complete my project this coming year but I'm going to try. If not I'll just keep working on it and having fun in the process. That’s the most rewarding thing I've gained form this project so far. Tinkering in the garage and just having fun... :crazy:

I agree you need to lower the compression ratio. Go with dish pistons or change to a thicker (copper) head gasket and then you shoud be fine. You could also have the heads combustion chambers CNC which would increase the volume and lower compression. Under 10 pounds of boost 9:1's ok but any more you'll need to go lower. I'm around 8.5:1 compression. I think the biggest hurdle on a LS1 would be the DFI and the stock ECU. You would probably need to go to a aftermarket ECU that’s laptop tunable to get the results you want. I think it would be a great project and I love El Camino's. The LS1 is one heck of a motor and the heads flow very well. Turbos like that... :crazy:

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 5:43 AM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 10:20 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Stingraycrazy,

That's an awesome looking intercooler; I am such a sucker for TIG welded aluminum. Clever installation and design too. You are definitely doing it first class, but I have to agree with what some others have said - you're going to have a problem keeping it down to 600hp. As mentioned, you'll probably only need a little over 5lbs of boost to make that. The lightest wastgate spring is almost 7psi. If you're running 2-port wastegates, you'll probably need to keep the top port open to atmosphere to keep the boost that low.

You're building a really nice car, that's going to be fun to drive. I really like your attention to detail.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:51 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked! (Monty)

sweet setup,thats a nice place for the intercooler,very clean install. :cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 11:00 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Thanks Monty that means allot coming from you. You are the King of attention to detail! :thumbs: The large exhaust housing AR ratio (.81) of the T4 with the "P" trim turbines should give me some lag down low where traction is a problem. I'm hoping this will give me some cushion until forward momentum is established. Even if the horse power creeps up to 800 or so I still think I can manage. How do you like your boost controller? I've been thinking about getting one of those programmable ones like you have. :crazy:
Old 12-24-2002, 11:19 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked! (patsnitrovette)

Thanks Pat, you did a great job with that TPI as well. Ever think of installing turbos? There’s a guy up here in NY that loves the TPI stuff. http://www.grapeaperacing.com He has a lot of neat ideas. I think these turbos would fit the bill perfectly... :crazy:

Old 12-24-2002, 11:21 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

SWEET :cheers: :cheers: :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked!

Old 12-24-2002, 11:57 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

How do you like your boost controller? I've been thinking about getting one of those programmable ones like you have. :crazy:
I haven't hooked the Innovative Turbo MSBC-1 up yet, still using the basic "air compressor" valve to control boost. I'm looking forward to running the MSBC as the boost control was inconsistent with the manual valve depending on environmental conditions. The MSBC has it's own built in MAP sensor so it can compensate for environemental condition changes.

By the way, what cores are you using? Griffith? Spearco doesn't make a 5" thick core so I don't know what it's cfm vs pressure drop rating is, but that intercooler you have should be good for 1000hp or so.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:46 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Monty, when you get the boost controller working give us a post and let us know how you feel about its performance. I've read a lot of good articles about the MSBC-1 and the Greedy but I would like to here it from the end user if you know what I mean. That’s a lot of dough to through at a gadget that doesn’t work. I’ve also been looking hard at the TurboSmart's dual stage controller. I thought about using it referenced to my first to second shift.

{For those of you that don't know what a boost controller is I’ll try to explain. In short its hooked between the wastegate and manifold pressure sensing port and changes the reference pressure to the wastegate like an air regulator. This controller would give me a lower boost setting in first and the higher setting when in second. I could adjust each for whatever setting I wanted. Monty's is a six setting (different setting for every gear) unit that has it's own map sensor that gives you much more tune ability over the power curve. Try doing that with a supercharger...}

The Intercooler was my 3rd design and just seemed to fit the best. My buddy Marty works as a welder for Dresser Rand and builds industrial charge air coolers for high flow gas compressors and intercoolers used in busses / heavy equipment. He ran it through a flow test of 1200 CFM's at 20 psi per side and said it had less than a 10% delta. I'll call him tonight and get the info on the core material. He is a wiz when it comes to welding...

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 7:50 PM 12/24/2002]

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 7:51 PM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 03:01 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

1200cfm is good for 800hp, so you should have plenty of intercooler capacity for your goal of 600hp. I still have a feeling you'll use that "excess" capacity;).

I doubt I'll be able to give a report on the MSBC until around March or so due to winter. Doug Hegge's using it as well on his 1000hp TT375. He jsut got finished swapping a T56 in his C4 so he should have some impressions of it soon. Check out his site if you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Crazy Update... Intercooler finished... Man I'm Siked!