C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXHAUST MANIFOLD (A.I.R. TUBES)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 03:00 PM
BILLMANL-82
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST MANIFOLD (A.I.R. TUBES)

OOOOOPS, I THINK I SCREWED UP !!! Please help... I had my manifolds off cleaning and painting them. (cast blast) Somehow , i have worked the tube on the inside of the manifold loose. I hope you guys know what i'm talking about. I will post a pic later. But, if your looking at the exhaust manifold there is a small tube that extends into the cylinder head. I'm not sure if they are pressed in or what. but, now from the moving, wire brushing etc. they are loose. What to do ??? :mad
Old 12-23-2002, 03:27 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: EXHAUST MANIFOLD (BILLMANL-82)

Does your car still have the AIR system installed or are the AIR ports in the manifolds blocked off?

The AIR system on my 73 was removed many years ago and the AIR ports in the manifolds were plugged (plugs look like large set screws), but they left the short inner tubes inside the manifolds. When I had the manifolds off I noticed that most of them were loose in there and able to wiggle around a little bit which sounds like what you described yours are doing. I tried massive ammounts of heat and penetrating oil but could not get the plugs out of the AIR ports, although I probably could have drilled them out I decided that the tubes were not really hurting anything and I didn't want to risk damaging the manifold.

Old 12-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: EXHAUST MANIFOLD (BILLMANL-82)

There should be more than one!

Get notified of new replies

To EXHAUST MANIFOLD (A.I.R. TUBES)

Quick Reply: EXHAUST MANIFOLD (A.I.R. TUBES)