C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half Shaft question. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 09:11 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Half Shaft question. Need opinions.

About 10 years ago I refurbished the back end of the 74 and had all new u-joints installed. When I had it done the installer said that one of the flanges was a little bent but that he straightened it. Since that time I've had a vibration in the rear from 60 mph up. I'm about ready to pull the trailing arms to have them rebuilt and I'm thinking of re-doing the half shafts again. Here's the question. Zip sell new half shafts with new u-joint and new flanges ready to bolt in for $149 (about $142 with the forum discount). If I rebuild my old ones I have the cost of the new u-joints plus the cost of the new flanges and the labor to install the u-joints. This will probably come to at least $100 each side so should I just go with the new half shafts and keep mine in reserve for the future or should I rebuild what I have. I'm leaning toward getting the new ones and just bolting them in.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:28 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Half Shaft question. Need opinions. (Ed T)

Thanks for the reply ED but that's the point. $65 for the rebuild and another $49 for new flanges and the cost per side goes to $114. For $28 more I get new assemblies. That's what I'm wrestling with. Is there any overriding reason to stay with my originals?

[Modified by vettfixr, 9:28 AM 12/23/2002]

Quick Reply: Half Shaft question. Need opinions.