C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 07:41 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels

the question is, on a 81 what is the offset for the aluminum wheel. i know its a 15x8 but i need to know the offset and the bolt pattern 5x? . i plan on getting a 17x8 chorme wheel. any suggestions? i plan on putting on a set of 255/45/17 yokohama AVS sport's have any of you ever ride on a set befor and how much noise do they make? there gonna be a inch shorter so ill get better cornering, i know there a *** tire but i hate bf goodrich radial ta's and goodyear gatorbacks. thoses tire desigens were made back in the 80's, dont you think tire technology has gotton a lot better in 20 years, so im gonna shame my american car and put on those *** tires, sorry but they are better. have any of you ever ride on a set befor. how much noise do they make? also for all of you who have already bought a set of after market wheels, what other info should i get befor i go get my wheels. thanks :steering:
Old 12-22-2002, 07:57 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels (gravismaximus)

Your offset is zero. This is because the stock backspacing is 4" which puts the offset(or lack of) in the center of the 8" wheel. I believe the bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75" but I'm not positive.

You will love the handling difference once the new wheels & tires are mounted :D .
Old 12-22-2002, 08:00 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels (SmokedTires)

:iagree:
Your offset is zero. This is because the stock backspacing is 4" which puts the offset(or lack of) in the center of the 8" wheel. The bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75".
Terry
Old 12-22-2002, 08:26 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels (SmokedTires)

Mike said it right, and the bolt pattern is what he suggested! :yesnod:
Old 12-22-2002, 10:10 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Default Re: i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels (groovyjay)

:chevy nice vette mike, makes mine look like crap. thanks for all the help, but i do still have one question, when i look at wheels in a catalog it always has a spec in mm, is that the offset, i forget
Old 12-22-2002, 10:40 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Default Re: i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels (gravismaximus)

awww so backspacing is the same as offset, the wheel i want has a backspacing of 5, what would that do make my wheel go closer to or further away from the car? :steering:
Old 12-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Toy4Two
Safety Car

Smokedtires, I really like your car, very sharp.

Will a bigger tire fit on the rear? Just curious. What is the backspacing on your rims, are you using spacers? Fill me in, I wouldn't mind having that same setup.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:07 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Default Re: i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels (Tater74Roadster)

yeah please fill us both in
Old 12-23-2002, 08:03 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels (Tater74Roadster)

:lol: Thanks guys. My wheels are 17 x8 with the stock 4" backspacing. Basically they're the same as the stock wheels, only 2" larger in diameter.

As far as my wheels, they're American Racing Torq-Thrust II's . :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels

Quick Reply: i need to know the spec on my wheels, cause i want new wheels