C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic Timing on Timing Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Langadorf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erratic Timing on Timing Light

I've previously used this adjustable timing light w/ my MSD 6AL before and it seemed to work fine. Tonight, I was trying to tune my timing, but it seems to jump all over the place and not respond to me moving the ****. Could this timing light only intermittantly work w/ my MSD or is something else going on? See my sig for my engine specs.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2002, 07:09 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Erratic Timing on Timing Light (Langadorf)

I've previously used this adjustable timing light w/ my MSD 6AL before and it seemed to work fine. Tonight, I was trying to tune my timing, but it seems to jump all over the place and not respond to me moving the ****. Could this timing light only intermittantly work w/ my MSD or is something else going on? See my sig for my engine specs.

Thanks
Yes, your timing light could be bad, you could also have a stretched timing chain. If you are not having any problems with idle or power then it is most likely the former. See if you can borrow a timing light from a friend and check it with that.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:18 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

1. Borrow a timing light from a friend.

2. Check your harmonic balancer for slipping.

3. Check the advance unit in the distributor.

4. Check the timing chain.

I hope it's one, two or three. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:27 PM
Langadorf
Pro

Default Re: Erratic Timing on Timing Light (1979toy)

How would I check the timing chain for stretching (besides pulling the timing cover)? What would symptoms of a stretched timing chain be? It seems to idle evenly and acellerate just fine (although I haven't REALLY gotten on it). I just put new heads on it and have been tweaking idle/timing etc. trying to get it up and running optimally.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

If your timing light has the type of connector that clamps onto the plug wire make sure it has no cracks in the plastic, and also that it isn't leaning against another plug wire- either of these can cause it to pick up spark from another wire besides the #1 and cause the problem you're experiencing.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:50 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I am in the same boat as you. My timing was allover the place last time I had a light on it, which was a non-adjustable light. Since, my MSD has craped out and is being repaired. I'll let you know what happens when I get it back and in, I'll have a band new adjustable timing light then also.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:28 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

If you have the type where you clamp around the #1 plug wire, you might also simply try reversing the clamp on the wire. Just detach it and turn the clamp over and reattach.

Merry Christmas,
Old 12-23-2002, 01:05 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

How would I check the timing chain for stretching (besides pulling the timing cover)? What would symptoms of a stretched timing chain be? It seems to idle evenly and acellerate just fine (although I haven't REALLY gotten on it). I just put new heads on it and have been tweaking idle/timing etc. trying to get it up and running optimally.
I found out that my timing chain was stretched while I was adjusting my valves. When I was manually turning the crank to set it at TDC I noticed that the open valves did not beging moving immediately when I changed the direction of rotation :eek: . Mine would go almost 10 degrees before the cam caught up with the crank :D :D :D :D .
I sure am glad that Bubba "rebuilt" this engine before I bought the car from him :rolleyes: :lol: .

You should be able to simply remove a valve cover and manually rotate the crankshaft a few degrees (10-15) either direction while watching the valve train, if you see some dead space (i.e. valve train not moving) after changing the direction of rotation, then you could probably use a new timing set. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:13 AM
Langadorf
Pro

Default Re: Erratic Timing on Timing Light (Jim Shea)

That worked - never would have thought the direction the clamp was oriented would have made a difference.

Thanks all!

Get notified of new replies

To Erratic Timing on Timing Light

Quick Reply: Erratic Timing on Timing Light