C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever use an AFR intake manifold????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 04:31 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever use an AFR intake manifold????

I will be buying a set of AFR 190cc heads in the spring and when I talked to AFR, the guy recommended the Edelbrock Performer. But the AFR catalog recommended either the Performer or the AFR proflow manifold. I don't have any numbers on the AFR intake vs. the Edelbrock, but which do think would be better, the only reason for considering the AFR manifold is that they have built in bosses for nitrous nozzles, and it's the the manifold AFR used on their 383 chevy produced 517 hp at 6,000 rpm and 503 ft/lbs of torque. Which do I use?

PS, I will be using a 150 shot of nitrous, so the built in bosses would be handy

[Modified by Ryan77, 8:48 PM 12/22/2002]
Old 12-22-2002, 09:29 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone ever use an AFR intake manifold???? (Ryan77)

ttt
Old 12-22-2002, 09:35 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

PS, I will be using a 150 shot of nitrous, so the built in bosses would be handy
So you are planning on using the Fogger system?
Old 12-23-2002, 03:55 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get the AFR...wont have to worry about tapping the bosses in. I would imagine thats a PITA and you dont want to screw it up. Have them port match them while they are there :cool:
Old 12-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone ever use an AFR intake manifold???? (74VETTE)

Corey 68-- I'm not sure which I'll be using, the fogger would be perfect for the built in nitrous nozzles, but there is also the under the carb plate system, I haven't decided yet.

74vette-- I will definately have the intake port matched to the heads
Old 12-23-2002, 05:42 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Corey 68-- I'm not sure which I'll be using, the fogger would be perfect for the built in nitrous nozzles, but there is also the under the carb plate system, I haven't decided yet.
I was just curious, I plan to run the fogger on my BB.
:cheers:
Old 12-23-2002, 06:13 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

The fogger would be sweet but I dont' think I need a 300 shot, the super powershot should do. Although, the fogger is adjustable from 150-300 hp, so I could set it at 150, and if it's not enough, there's that other 150 waiting to be unleashed into a new 'vette or mustang :D
Old 12-23-2002, 06:49 PM
lason
Instructor

Although, the fogger is adjustable from 150-300 hp, so I could set it at 150, and if it's not enough, there's that other 150 waiting to be unleashed into a new 'vette or mustang :D
A word of caution if you are somewhat new to the juice. I have had too many cars with nitrous and a 150hp shot doesnt seem all that bad on paper but you have better at the absolute very least have forged pistons and a good set of rings in the or it will go boom on you. By the way if you are trying to decide between the fogger and the plate system I would deffinetly go with the plate only because you can get the plate off and ditch the nitrous entirely if you decide to and dont have 8 holes in your intake to mess with and it is WAYYYYY easier to change jets. O and to have a fogger setup plumbed to your intake will run you about $250 and up. One more benifit of the plate system is that when you hit the button the notrous has a split second to come on and it doesnt all hit the cylinders at once causing major wheel spin unlike the fogger that is like a lightswitch and will deffinetly cause your tires to bald up QUICK. Like I said just some food for thought.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Default Re: Anyone ever use an AFR intake manifold???? (lason)

One more benifit of the plate system is that when you hit the button the notrous has a split second to come on and it doesnt all hit the cylinders at once causing major wheel spin unlike the fogger that is like a lightswitch and will deffinetly cause your tires to bald up QUICK. Like I said just some food for thought.
That's good to know. My only experience with Nitrous was on a BB tractor pull engine, a 400hp shot. Never ran a car with N2O on the street.
:cheers:
Old 12-23-2002, 08:05 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone ever use an AFR intake manifold???? (Corey 68)

Well I think the 150 plate system it is then :yesnod: . And yes I will be running a completely forged bottom end (pistons, rods, and crank), there will be a very good set of rings, and the AFR 190's I'll be running have a 3/4" head deck that is perfect for nitrous or blower applications. So I think I have all the bases covered, but let me know if I let anything out.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:30 PM
lason
Instructor

Well I think the 150 plate system it is then :yesnod: . And yes I will be running a completely forged bottom end (pistons, rods, and crank), there will be a very good set of rings, and the AFR 190's I'll be running have a 3/4" head deck that is perfect for nitrous or blower applications. So I think I have all the bases covered, but let me know if I let anything out.
Sounds like you do have all your bases covered. A forged bottom end is always a good idea if there is room in the budget and there will be some need for it like a blower, turbo or nitrous. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone ever use an AFR intake manifold???? (lason)

There's never really room in the budget, so I just make room :D . I always make sure it's done right though and never cut any corners :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever use an AFR intake manifold????

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use an AFR intake manifold????