C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something not right...need help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 03:14 PM
mp77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something not right...need help.

I started my new motor up the other night and it ran well. Still felt sluggish though, no power. Seemed like the secondaries were not opening. If I opened it full throttle by hand, the linkage from the primary would not engage the secondary until full throttle, leaving no room for secondaries to operate. Linkage looked as though someone rigged it that way to save gas. Anyway, on starting it up yesterday, idle went up to about 3000rpm and stayed there. Idle adjustments made no difference. The only way to get it down was to retard timing. This would get it down to around 1000rpm, but if try to go any lower, it would backfire and die. Then it would not start again until advance timing again. Then start and be at high rpms again. I hope I described this well enough for someone to help. It is a quadrajet carb. I looked on Lars sight but still cannot solve this. On top of that, the old starter decided to fry on me. I thought it was the battery, but after a good charge and using battery boost on charger, the starter just turns over very slowly and gets so hot the old grease on it starts smoking. Anyway, can anyone help me with this high idle problem? :cheers:
Old 12-22-2002, 04:47 PM
tippi58
Racer

Default Re: Something not right...need help. (mp77)

Vacum leaks somewhere ???

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 12-22-2002, 07:52 PM
dually4wd
Racer

Default Re: Something not right...need help. (mp77)

Sounds like maybe the secondaries stuck open slightly when you checked full throttle. It would have to be something like that or a bad vaccum leak.

Get notified of new replies

To Something not right...need help.

Quick Reply: Something not right...need help.