C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Delete Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 11:53 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Radio Delete Plate?

I know that finding a Radio delete panel is almost impossible, but I wonder has anyone ever designed or made their own cover for the radio opening. currently have a really cheesy Sony cassette player that doesn't fit the opening very good, I'd like to dump the whole thing and install a radio in the jack compartment with a remote control. In order to do that I need to neatly block off the radio opening.
Does anyone have a picture of the "Radio Delete" plate and maybe the demensions of it? I'll fab my own up if necessary.
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2002, 12:17 PM
vette69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radio Delete Plate? (Smokehouse69)

Here's one on ebay if you are a fool, with your money. Don't know if this is really what they are worth, but atleast there is a picture.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1875312140
Old 12-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Radio Delete Plate? (vette69)

Thanks! I think I could whip up a functional replacement out of aluminum plate, pretty quickly.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:29 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Radio Delete Plate? (vette69)

$295?????? I have never seen one sell for anywhere near that. usually they go for under $150. Still too much for me. I might go the custom route one of these days. For now I will just stare at that empty hole in the dash.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:00 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Radio Delete Plate? (70 LS1)

$295?????? I have never seen one sell for anywhere near that. usually they go for under $150. Still too much for me.
Yeah no doubt. Is it likely that a radio delete plate is a desirable enough option that it will raise the value of the car more than the idiotic prices these guys are asking? Seriously doubt it. Besides? who would want no radio in their car?.

If I owned an Indy car, I'd find some way to put a CD player in it :lol:
Old 12-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Radio Delete Plate? (fauxrs)

Reason they're so pricey is the lack of demand among the restoration crowd. They came on radio delete cars (very rare) and L-88s (extremely rare). Those looking for the high $$ L88s know how to tell a real from a fake blockoff plate. And those fabricating original L-88s :lol: are willing to pay the $500 or so for a 'real' blockoff plate, because it's worth the $100k+ return they'll get if they can pass it off as real. :eek: Anyways, that's my take on why.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:14 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides? who would want no radio in their car?.
WOW, do I stink or something??

But seriously, though, my car is one of a few weird ones that was shipped radio delete even though it's a plain-jane stripper, not an L-88 or other factory hot-rod. It was important to me to keep it original inside, although I have warmed the engine over pretty heavily. Call me weird, like my car.

To answer the original question, you can get a reproduction radio delete cover plate from Paragon Reproductions for about $150. I have both an NOS piece and their repro and they are identical in appearance. I am running the repro and saving the NOS piece in case they get higher than $295 on EBay (like $2950 :lol: )

I should also mention that I get a few emails from others who are interested in radio delete cars. And there are one or two folks on the forum who have fabbed up their own delete plates with gauge mounts, so your options are pretty open.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2002, 10:17 PM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

paragon reproductions sells repro 68-76 plates for $150. phone number (800) 882-4688, part number 2002K.

some of you might remember me trying to find one for my 78. i found this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1872366382 and i don't know what to think. it fits and it is the right part number, but whats up with the pebblestone texture? for $26, i wasn't gonna pass on it, but what do you all think? i've never seen another 77-82 radio delete plate.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:50 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I'd assume you'd just want to make your own for the prices they charge.

And I personally DO NOT LIKE HAVING A RADIO ON. This is a performance car. An older one... I have to listen for things. Like if a part rattled off. :smash:
Old 12-23-2002, 12:28 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Radio Delete Plate? (no_radio)

Besides? who would want no radio in their car?.

WOW, do I stink or something??
:lol: :lol: :lol: No way Jeff, I mean no disrespect, what you want to do with your car is your own affair, simply spouting my own immensly biased opinion.

I gotta have tunes. in fact if I had my way the stereo would be part of the ignition, no tunes - no start. :lol: :lol: (perhaps theres some security possibilities there :jester ) I dont have to worry about parts falling off my car :jester

My car even has its own theme song - when I go to the various cruises in town, I have a CD with just that song on it - over and over and over :jester

So obviously I'm the wacko here.

Still - cant see paying $150 for a flat slab of plastic. :yesnod:
Old 12-23-2002, 09:12 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

... :lol: No way Jeff, I mean no disrespect, what you want to do with your car is your own affair, simply spouting my own immensly biased opinion.

I gotta have tunes. in fact if I had my way the stereo would be part of the ignition, no tunes - no start. :lol: :lol: ...
Jeff

I'll vouch for fauxrs if needed, he is very PC. (What little I know about PC, I normally ignore.)

It would be a boring world if all were the same. I see both sides. I'll vouch for Jeff, if needed. A powerful engine is all the music one needs. :cool:
If one is very high in the music hearing abilities (normally referred to as Golden ears), then there is a need for a good stereo. :cool:
Have a removable setup.

The ultimate radio anti theft is no radio. 2nd is a hole in the dash w/ wires hanging out.

Then there is the 3rd option having to do w/ the faceplate.

I have a Kenwood Excelon mask, which I have considered mounting in the back, therefore a plate. It would be easy to make a very cool plate.

:cool:
Old 12-23-2002, 10:14 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Radio Delete Plate? (Ganey)

[QUOTEI'll vouch for fauxrs if needed, he is very PC. (What little I know about PC, I normally ignore [/QUOTE]

PC - ouch! :D Can we just say polite? I'd really rather not be PC :lol:

Thanks Ganey :cheers:
Old 12-23-2002, 10:34 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Make that fauxrs is very polite.

fauxrs

Believe it or not :eek: , expected a reply from you like that. :eek:
Proof- That's why the disclaimer immediately followed.

Old 12-23-2002, 11:03 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car even has its own theme song - when I go to the various cruises in town, I have a CD with just that song on it - over and over and over :jester
Man, I sure hope it's not The Hokey Pokey! (fauzrs sig for relevance).

So obviously I'm the wacko here.
I think we're all a little nuts around here... :D

Still - cant see paying $150 for a flat slab of plastic. :yesnod:
If it makes you feel any better it's actually made out of a pretty heavy chunk of steel with studs in the back to hold it where the radio ***** would normally stick out. but, yeah, I felt pretty stupid about spending $150 twice (one repro, one NOS from Ebay) to fill the spot where a $150 radio could have gone, but it really does look cool and gets alot of attention when showing off the car. I also like the look of the C3 with no antenna sticking up in the back, and no ignition shielding under the hood...

Enjoy your tunes!
Jeff
Old 12-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Stock AM/FM radio + Chambered Exhaust = Radio Delete :D
I prefer to listen to the rumble. The wife disagrees. Oh well :rolleyes:

Stew
Old 12-23-2002, 12:08 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I'm going to get the radio delete plate (the reproduction one). I HATE radio. Too much yak yak yak and songs I never like. Other than the oldies station (which now also plays disco...more CRAP), there is almost NOTHING worth listening to. Plus my factory AM/FM stereo only plays out of one speaker. And it's not a broken wire...I checked.

Now CD...that's another thing entirely. I have a CD burner and I burned a CD with ALL hot rod songs on it. If I could get JUST a CD player for my dash in my '72, I'd do it. I may get a Walkman Car CD for my rear compartment and run the speaker wires to the factory speakers. Other than the engine, that's the only thing I'd listent to.

Dep
Old 12-23-2002, 05:07 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Radio Delete Plate? (no_radio)

Man, I sure hope it's not The Hokey Pokey! (fauzrs sig for relevance).
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ummmmm No.

If it makes you feel any better it's actually made out of a pretty heavy chunk of steel with studs in the back to hold it where the radio ***** would normally stick out.
:D Oh, well...Steel - why didnt you say so, yes that makes me feel so much better :jester

I also like the look of the C3 with no antenna sticking up in the back, and no ignition shielding under the hood...
As do I, which is why I opted for a power antennae. and the shielding is hardly needed any more with modern plug wires.

Anyway, I'll just keep my hokey-pokey PC mouth shut while I run down teh highway listenen to my tunes :thumbs:

BTW I enjoy listening to the exhaust as much as the next guy, but that song gets pretty monotonous :D (and if you dont believe me, Sidepipes coming soon :thumbs: )
Old 12-25-2002, 09:35 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Default Re: Radio Delete Plate? (no radio)

I also like the look of the C3 with no antenna sticking up in the back...
Agree, no antenna sticking up in the back either- hidden non-power (too much wt.).

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Delete Plate?

Quick Reply: Radio Delete Plate?