C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vaseline as a sealer/lubricant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 11:28 AM
cchristo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vaseline as a sealer/lubricant?

I've saw a lot of posts in the last few days advocating the use of vaseline on rubber things like vacuum seals and the like. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm a bit wary about using it. Does'nt vaseline destroy rubber? I know that backseat rubber sealing devices (some of you may know what I'm talking about! :blueangel: :reddevil :thumbs: ;) ) specifically warn against the use of vaseline as a lubricant. If it's bad for those, isn't it bad for the car?

[Modified by cchristo, 4:30 PM 12/22/2002]
Old 12-22-2002, 11:38 AM
Toy4Two
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vaseline as a sealer/lubricant? (cchristo)

[
I've saw a lot of posts in the last few days advocating the use of vaseline on rubber things like vacuum seals and the like. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm a bit wary about using it. Does'nt vaseline destroy rubber? I know that backseat rubber sealing devices (some of you may know what I'm talking about! :blueangel: :reddevil :thumbs: ;) ) specifically warn against the use of vaseline as a lubricant. If it's bad for those, isn't it bad for the car?

[Modified by cchristo, 4:30 PM 12/22/2002]
Vaseline is a petroleum based Lube, that's why your not supposed to use in on YOUR hose, but on RUBBER hoses, I'm sure your fine.

[Modified by Tater74Roadster, 4:38 PM 12/22/2002]
Old 12-22-2002, 12:16 PM
cchristo
Pro

Default Re: Vaseline as a sealer/lubricant? (Tater74Roadster)

No, actually it states that it will destroy the rubber. All this is sort of tongue in cheek, but with a serious side to it. :cheers:
Old 12-22-2002, 12:23 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Vaseline does work good on battery terminals and electric connections to prevent corrosion. Smear a little on the posts before you bolt em up. :yesnod:

[Modified by Jvette73, 11:24 AM 12/22/2002]
Old 12-22-2002, 12:48 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

"Backset Sealing Devices" :lol: are made of latex which is natural rubber, is very intolerant of petroleum based products. I think most seals, hoses and other "rubber" parts are made of composites of natural and synthetic polymer rubber compounds. They are much more tolerant of petroleum products than natural rubber is.
There are some other lubricants that have very similar properties to vaseline but are almost totally inert to rubber and are silicon based. There are silicon lubricants that are available in tubes and jars that look just like vaseline and work in mechanical applications better than vaseline and aren't supposed to hurt any form of rubber.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:20 PM
cchristo
Pro

Well, I suppose with some research, I could find the definitive answer but, in the meantime, non-petroleum based lubricant such as silicone is all thats going to be touching my baby's rubber stuff. I'd hate to use vaseline on her rubber only to find the hose bulging out some day, because of deterioration of course!. :bb
Better safe than sorry. :bb
Old 12-22-2002, 02:01 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Vasoline petroleum jelly will not harm any of the rubber parts that are used in the steering system (i.e. hoses, grommets, lip seals, o-rings, boot seals, etc.)

Merry Christmas,
Jim Shea
Old 12-23-2002, 01:43 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Vaseline as a sealer/lubricant? (Jim Shea)

in rebuilding my 304 AMC motor for my CJ7, the Jeep bible says to repack the oil pump with Vaseline, to aid in priming....

Hey I tried it and it worked.... :eek:
Old 12-23-2002, 01:49 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Vaseline as a sealer/lubricant? (Desertdawg)

in rebuilding my 304 AMC motor for my CJ7, the Jeep bible says to repack the oil pump with Vaseline, to aid in priming....

Hey I tried it and it worked.... :eek:
Same story for Buick 231's and 252's. Most any hose in a car should be petroleum resistant.

Get notified of new replies

To Vaseline as a sealer/lubricant?

Quick Reply: Vaseline as a sealer/lubricant?