C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 07:45 AM
SARASOTA SAM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer??

COME ON YOU GUYS, see my previous postings,really need your help solve this puzzle.
How many of you tear down carbs and rip up bits accidentally?
If you can still get this bit for a Delahaye or a Cord easier than a Vette whats the problem with 1972?
How about you marine block men,even though this part is different for your use have you a reference in your libraries for the auto component.
ARE WE ALL NOW CONDITIONED TO BE RE-BUILD KIT CONSUMERS?
Calling all carb shop guru's you can help surely. I want to spend some dollars.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:50 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer?? (SARASOTA SAM)

I Personally dont know, but you may want to ask Lars. he is the forums carb expert :cheers:
Old 12-22-2002, 09:10 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer?? (SARASOTA SAM)

Try Edelbrock... They make NEW Q-jets and various other carbs. http://www.edelbrock.com The site shows a lot of parts and gaskets available.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 9:12 AM 12/22/2002]
Old 12-23-2002, 12:38 PM
SARASOTA SAM
Instructor

Default Re: Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer?? (silvervetteman)

Thanks guys I've gone thru all the rochester numbers on Edelbrok's site but mine is'nt listed anywhere and i've posted for LARS input/help guess he hasnt picked it up yet.

WOULD REALLY APRECIATE ANY MORE IDEAS FROM ANY ONE TO SOLVE THIS .

Sarasota Sam.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:56 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Where's the link to your question? I don't know what you are asking about.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:04 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Try these guys...they may have what you are looking for.
http://www.carbs.net/

I bought a divorced style electric choke conversion kit from the and it works great. The parts arrived when they said they would and I had no problems with them at all.

John
Old 12-24-2002, 05:54 AM
SARASOTA SAM
Instructor

Thanks JOHN.
This is the company i want to deal with BUT, after ringing them they cant identify exactley which Rochester Qjet gasket i want without a photostat of original as they have no means of cross referencing the carb # to their own part no as displayed on the web page??.

ALL YOU GUYS OUT THERE TAKE A LOOK AT JOHNS LINK IF YOU NEED GASKETS TOO THEYRE THERE IF YOU CAN IDENTIFY WHICH ONE.

If anyone can identify which Air-Horn gasket is spot on for my carb,
Rochester R4 MV #7042203 B2 DK Choke pull off #7067,fitted to 72 vette 200hp,manual, air cond. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

A Merry Christmas to all Vette people everywhere.
SARASOTA SAM. :cheers:
Old 12-28-2002, 08:02 AM
SARASOTA SAM
Instructor

Well Xmas came and went guess every one had a good time,and the hits to my postings have passed 200. The Vette was"LONELY THIS CHRISTMAS", "CRYING 96 TEARS"of octane thru its Air-horn gasket,had to miss the party so i fixed up some ELVIS and ?+MYSTERIONS and other 60-70 music on the garage player to keep it company but it didnt stop the weeping.
It now looks forward to an operation in the new year with a promise of a new healthy and safe life once a correct and compatible "heart"gasket is found.
Can you make the CUSTARD TORPEDO rumble healthier once again???
(((((((((IF YOUR OUT THERE LARS in Denver, YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APRECIATED))))))))))))
Thanks for the replies so far but havent got the answer yet.Hopefully someone will get a handle on this as bet there are hundreds more people in the same boat who would like to have a answer too.

WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST FOR NEW YEAR

SARASOTA SAM.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:10 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I'm not familiar with the gasket you're talking about, but could you get some gasket material and make your own gasket :confused:
Old 12-28-2002, 08:59 AM
Rocket Ron
Racer

Default Re: Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer?? (jerryp58)

Yo. My GM parts catalogue shows a pt. # 7039223 for a minor repair kit for that carb. It fits carb # 7042202-03. That kit includes the air horn gasket.
Good luck finding it but I would try a local parts house that has access th delco, and supplies a lot of dealers with parts. Seee ya
Old 12-28-2002, 01:31 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

This may not be of any help to you but when I first started looking for a carb kit for my Q-Jet, I was using the wrong numbers.
Once I figured out which numbers to use, I was able to purchase the correct rebuild kit.
The correct carburetor reference number is stamped onto the side of the carb as shown in the picture. At first, I was using the 170#### that was cast in a circle shape on the rear of the carb.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:47 AM
SARASOTA SAM
Instructor

Thanks MIKER,
YEP! Your highlighted number on your picture is the location im using, and posted numbers are stamped here.Thanks for your time and input,can get a load of rebuild kits and minor kits for this carb o.k. but i need to purchase 4 or 5 gaskets by themselves, they are out there BUT still not got the surplier or part number to let everyone know for theiir reference.I wonder what racers,engine builders and mechanics do to replenish their stocks??
There were i think over 20,000 vettes produced in 72 alone not sure exactley how many of my spec. but thats a lot of carbs for one spec excluding novas camaros firebirds of that year that possibly ran this carb#.

STILL HOPING SOMEONE CAN IDENTIFY WHAT I NEED --- COME ON GUYS.

HOW DO YOU GET IN TOUCH WITH LARS??

SARASOTA SAM.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:45 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Sara Sam -
I've read this whole post, and I can't figure out what your question is.... What do you need to know?
Old 12-31-2002, 06:48 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer?? (lars)

no expert here and have not read your other posts, but if your carb is leaking gas thru the air horn gasket, and if memory serves right this is the gasket that sits above the float and float "well", and between the air horn. your problem is in the float or the float valve, not the gasket. i've had this problem on a few quads and found that fixing the float and valve, and adjusting the float level, you can usually re-use the air horn gasket. like i said, no expert here, help me out lars!! that air horn gasket is compressed paper and it'll suck up gas like a sponge if the float or valve is screwed up, and the fuel well is overfilling. good luck!!!
Old 12-31-2002, 10:29 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer?? (lars)

Sara Sam -
I've read this whole post, and I can't figure out what your question is.... What do you need to know?
:iagree: It sounds like you need a few of the gaskets. Why not spend the $20-$30 for a complete rebuild kit from a local parts house that come with all the gaskets, a new needle and seat, and other parts? You will want to pick up a new float too. :cheers:
Old 01-03-2003, 02:13 PM
SARASOTA SAM
Instructor

Default Calling LARS & Rochester surgeons UPDATED INFO. 400 hits still no sucess.Can anyone answer this ???

RE-CLARIFICATION OF WHAT I AM ASKING,
Thanks for the replies so far,Thanks to LARS for picking up on this.

I would like to purcase a quantity of solely Air-horn gaskets(not rebuild kits),this gasket sits between the air-horn casting and the float bowl,and above the float.It must be specific to the carb number and spec below as different carb numbers for different specs and years have different air holes etc,and different profiles all together and would not seal correctly.
These gaskets are available from CARBS UNLIMITED (www.carbs.net) at a listing of $2.95c each not $25-$35 for a rebuild kit.
Trouble is there are 15 to 20 pictured on their web page(very clearly too!), but on phoning them they cant cross reference a Rochester number to their own catalog number,only by either a photo stat of original or by me comparing original to their pictures.This seems to be the same dilema for other surpliers too even though they dont have such a compehensive choice.I cannot lift the airhorn casting off without seriously damaging the gasket as its well and truely stuck to top and bottom and when i eventually do am sure there will be little left to make a photo stat or be sure of an accurate comparrison. I dont want to be in this predicament again should a future gasket stick (though i very much doubt it will) but just in case i intend buying 5 or 6 for stock.THATS $125-$210 + Import Duty, Tax, Freight, etc.for rebuild kits rather than $15-$18 etc. solely for the gaskets.I would not cherish making my own out of material,when you see the complexity of these,one little slip and its hours and hours down the dumpster.In my 1972 G.M. CORVETTE PARTS LISTING MANUAL they listed a minor air horn rebuild part number but dont know if this is still available today but no part number solely for the gasket.I have no leaks yet and am sure the float and levels are all ok BUT i do want to check them for the hell of it and clean out any micro dust or sediment,and i would wish to do this at least once a year.
THE CARB.== ROCHESTER R4 MV #7042203 B2 DK Choke Pull-Off #7067 fitted as std to 1972 Vette 200H.P. Base, Manual,Air-Cond. with 1972 T.C.S.
Emission system. Power Steering.
WHAT I WOULD APRECIATE === Some one to identify exactly which gasket i need for this carb, (possibly from quoted web site), its current G.M. part number if still available, or a after market surpliers name address and their correct part number.

I HOPE THIS CLEARS UP MY QUESTION A LOT MORE SATISFACTORY THAN BEFORE AND SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT ON THIS.

I SURE HOPE LARS PICKS THIS UP AS EVERYONE SAYS HES THE MAIN MAN
AND HE MIGHT COME UP WITH AN ANSWER TOO.

GOOD VETTING FOR 2003

SARASOTA SAM.
:sad: :skep: :cheers:

[Modified by SARASOTA SAM, 3:24 PM 1/4/2003]
Old 01-04-2003, 10:32 AM
SARASOTA SAM
Instructor

Default Re: Calling LARS & Rochester surgeons UPDATED INFO. 400 hits still no sucess.

Still hoping some one can provide the info. SAM.

Get notified of new replies

To Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer??

Old 01-06-2003, 10:45 AM
SARASOTA SAM
Instructor

Default TO LARS, CLARIFICATION ON 4MV GASKET.SARASOTA SAM

RE-CLARIFICATION OF WHAT I AM ASKING,
Thanks for the replies so far,Thanks to LARS for picking up on this.
I would like to purcase a quantity of solely Air-horn gaskets(not rebuild kits),this gasket sits between the air-horn casting and the float bowl,and above the float.It must be specific to the carb number and spec below as different carb numbers for different specs and years have different air holes etc,and different profiles all together and would not seal correctly.
These gaskets are available from CARBS UNLIMITED (www.carbs.net) at a listing of $2.95c each not $25-$35 for a rebuild kit.
Trouble is there are 15 to 20 pictured on their web page(very clearly too!), but on phoning them they cant cross reference a Rochester number to their own catalog number,only by either a photo stat of original or by me comparing original to their pictures.This seems to be the same dilema for other surpliers too even though they dont have such a compehensive choice.I cannot lift the airhorn casting off without seriously damaging the gasket as its well and truely stuck to top and bottom and when i eventually do am sure there will be little left to make a photo stat or be sure of an accurate comparrison. I dont want to be in this predicament again should a future gasket stick (though i very much doubt it will) but just in case i intend buying 5 or 6 for stock.THATS $125-$210 + Import Duty, Tax, Freight, etc.for rebuild kits rather than $15-$18 etc. solely for the gaskets.I would not cherish making my own out of material,when you see the complexity of these,one little slip and its hours and hours down the dumpster.In my 1972 G.M. CORVETTE PARTS LISTING MANUAL they listed a minor air horn rebuild part number but dont know if this is still available today but no part number solely for the gasket.I have no leaks yet and am sure the float and levels are all ok BUT i do want to check them for the hell of it and clean out any micro dust or sediment,and i would wish to do this at least once a year.
THE CARB.== ROCHESTER R4 MV #7042203 B2 DK Choke Pull-Off #7067 fitted as std to 1972 Vette 200H.P. Base, Manual,Air-Cond. with 1972 T.C.S.
Emission system. Power Steering.
WHAT I WOULD APRECIATE === Some one to identify exactly which gasket i need for this carb, (possibly from quoted web site), its current G.M. part number if still available, or a after market surpliers name address and their correct part number.

I HOPE THIS CLEARS UP MY QUESTION A LOT MORE SATISFACTORY THAN BEFORE AND SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT ON THIS.

I SURE HOPE LARS PICKS THIS UP AS EVERYONE SAYS HES THE MAIN MAN
AND HE MIGHT COME UP WITH AN ANSWER TOO.

GOOD VETTING FOR 2003

SARASOTA SAM.

[Modified by SARASOTA SAM, 3:24 PM 1/4/2003]

SARASOTA SAM

12 posts [100%]
GRIMSBY N.E.LINCS

Re: Calling LARS & Rochester surgeons UPDATED INFO. 400 hits still no sucess. 10:32 AM 1/4/2003

Still
Old 01-06-2003, 11:48 AM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

You could buy one rebuild kit, photocopy the new gasket in the kit, and send the photocopy to get additional gaskets. Eventually you will probably want to rebuild the carb anyhow and will have the parts.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:37 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: TO LARS, CLARIFICATION ON 4MV GASKET.SARASOTA SAM (SARASOTA SAM)

Do you have a fax number you can give me? I'll Xerox-copy the correct gasket for you and fax you the picture. I have correct gaskets for the carb - leftovers out of varous carb kits.

Quick Reply: Carb crying "95" Tears. Had 100+ hits, has no one got the answer??