C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which way to turn nut to adjust 3rd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 06:52 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which way to turn nut to adjust 3rd gear?

i had the M21rebuilt,replaced the clutch myself and finally today i got everything back together.i went for a short drive and found all gears working fine except 3rd.3rd will not engage .has anybody had the same problem and how did you adjust for it?i 'm pretty sure i need to adjust 3rd/4th gear rod.which way do i need to turn the nut?
thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2002, 07:05 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Default Re: which way to turn nut to adjust 3rd gear? (java0881)

Hey Hugo,
Which nut are you talking about? the shifter linkage I'm guessing. Do you have the stock shifter or a Hurst? With a Hurst you need a 1/4" rod or allen wrenc to fit into the base of the shifter the adjust the nuts on the rods. I haven't worked on a stock shifter in a long time so I'd have to check the manual. When you rebuilt the tranny did you replace the sliders? I have to replace the 1 - 2 slider on my Muncie because the slider is most likely worn. Even with new sycro's the 2nd gear engagement is sometimes notchy. Paul @ the Gearzone said the sliders do wear and I'm guessing it was that way years ago when I last tore into it.
Let me know what it turns out to be.
Good luck,
Gary
Old 12-22-2002, 03:45 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: which way to turn nut to adjust 3rd gear? (gtr1999)

thanks for the info gary.i have the original shifter and the sliders did not get replaced.i was hoping the adjustment would be at the end of the rods.
:steering:

Get notified of new replies

To which way to turn nut to adjust 3rd gear?

Quick Reply: which way to turn nut to adjust 3rd gear?