C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI conversion in 77

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 12:52 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default TPI conversion in 77

What is involved and how difficult is this conversion. I'm looking at new carbs for $300-500.00, I would really like a tpi set up. What is needed? and who has done it.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:43 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: TPI conversion in 77 (dogboy)

I am just up the road here in Jax/Orang Park and have some parts....
to do that conversion with....Yes it fits fine under a stock hood...need use the K/n oval clamp on filter though....not all that hard, just time consuming...
you need decide where to put the computer, after that, route wires and plug in sensors to engine, and exhaust...and add the fuel pump on the frame rail in back...you set to go....

nearly doubles fuel economy...also...

GENE
Old 12-21-2002, 02:57 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: TPI conversion in 77 (mrvette)

once you do it youll be glad you did,what a nice feeling to reach in the window and fire it right up.heres a good website to learn from if your interested. http://www.chevythunder.com/index.htm
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=455736

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 2:58 PM 12/21/2002]
Old 01-02-2003, 08:18 PM
79yellowlt1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to put a TPI in my 79 and went with an LT-1 instead. For ease of installation I wish I went with the TPI. It's cool now, and runs great, but I hit a new obstacle everywhere I turned. (accessories, exhaust, cooling, starter, you name it.) I have an 87 IROC with a TPI and all along I kept looking at it and thinking how simple it is. I wish I knew about this forum then! Now if I could only get the body done!! Go for it, and never give up!! :cheers:
Old 01-02-2003, 08:30 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Some day down the road I am going to upgrade to TPI. Great torque for a street engine. Who sells complete TPI kits for a 350? I know LPe sells the superram. Anyone else? I though Accel did but can't find it on their website.

The heater is disconnected, can I put the computer in the heater core space?
Old 01-02-2003, 09:22 PM
79yellowlt1
Advanced

Default Re: TPI conversion in 77 (69stingray)

Try these sites. I've dealt with both of them on my LT-1 conversion. Very informative and wicked nice guys.
http://www.tunedport.com
http://www.fuelinjection.com
Old 01-02-2003, 11:27 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: TPI conversion in 77 (79yellowlt1)

I think I am taking the TPI plunge.

What kind of injectors/fuel pump do you think I would need (as a general guess) that would work well with my Trick Flow 23 degree aluminum heads and 268h comp cams cam? I assume I'd need a custom chip as well.

I have visited those sites and plan to research some more but just looking for general guidelines to see how much I will be spending. . . .

Also, Gene, and others, where did you end up putting the computer? Any other specialty things you had to do? Ie: change over to electric fans, etc?
thanks!
-terry
Old 01-02-2003, 11:36 PM
djunod
Racer

Default Re: TPI conversion in 77 (79yellowlt1)

Another way to go is to put your name on the waiting list for local junk-yards. 3rd generation TPI Camaros are being wrecked all the time and are very cheap to come by. You can get a Painless wiring harness to hook it all up.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:13 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: TPI conversion in 77 (terryrudy)

Terry, one of the first things I did to my car was add the TPI unit, at that time it was on the original engine, having never owned a shark before...this was allmost 7 years ago now....it was still a muncie tranny then....the fuel economy doubled to 24 mpg on the freeway cruising from 3500-4000 rpm's...
which here in Florida with a 336 rear is about 80 mph.....up in Wash d.c. area the amount of time spent at 80 or greater is about nil...no room, too much traffic, and even then only an occational blast....down here say I 95 to Miami...well that's 5 hours....so when I did the engine soup up and tranny conversion to 700r4, I went with a hotrod engine, now getting 22 mph at 80 mph and 2500 rpm/s.....close....

With the original install I mounted the computer behind the map pocket, and took the first easy wire route, and created a wiring monster....I put the wires through a hole near the accelerator pedal, over top the radio, and to the map pocket area....outta my mind making that decision.....;-(((

with the hor rod engine it stayed there for some years, last winter along with the rack install, I rewired the entire nitemare of an engine compartment, tearing apart all but the front and rear light harnesses....did my own custom interior and engine harness....and put the computer wires through just to pass side of distributor...in a notch just to right of heater box areas, and down behind the duct work...between it and blower box if best as I can describe it....anyway....the computer wound up on the console top under the radio, which was changed over to aftermarket....allowing room under there....
computer # is 1227730....fits nicely...I reshaped the entire console plastic mountng frame to allow extra room....

GENE

Old 01-03-2003, 09:20 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm doing the conversion over the next couple of months. I bought the harness, senders, fuel pump, rails etc... from affordable fuel injection. They set up a custom system with only the parts that you need, they warranty everything, burn chips as you need them and they are cheaper than most (even for the harness).

I got the intake, runners, etc.. donated from a local CF member. :)

I'll try to take photos and take notes as I go. :)

All told with a new cam and associated items, the total cost will be around $1,000 but with warranties on the stuff from AFI. :D:D
Old 01-03-2003, 11:02 AM
terryrudy
Drifting

Gene, thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have PLENTY of more questions for you and the forum as things move along. I appreciate it. :)

Phoenix, I will be following your install closely. Any info or pics you can share would be most appreciated.

thanks
-terry
Old 01-03-2003, 11:44 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: TPI conversion in 77 (terryrudy)

i mounted my computer behind my map pocket also but i brought my wiring in on the passenger side,if you lookin my sig picture you,ll see the wiring harness going into the firewall .
Old 01-03-2003, 02:24 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: TPI conversion in 77 (patsnitrovette)

I have my computer mounted on the backside of the passenger inner fender. Just infront of the heater blower motor. Plenty of room there.

Get notified of new replies

To TPI conversion in 77

Quick Reply: TPI conversion in 77