C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 454 for me - Max Seal (gapless) Rings????

Old 12-21-2002, 12:50 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 454 for me - Max Seal (gapless) Rings????

My 454 is to the point where I need to get the rotating assembly together for balance and to hone the block. I had wanted to use the gapless rings, but there are two types.
MaxSeal - Top Ring gapless, 2nd Ring conventional, STD tension oil
TS1 - Top Ring conventional, 2nd Ring gapless, STD tension oil

Total Seal has recommended the Max Seal as being the better choice. Anyone out there who is doing the rebuilts/BBC upgrades using these?
Old 12-21-2002, 12:56 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: New 454 for me - Max Seal (gapless) Rings???? (75 BBC Stingray)

No clue. I filed my ring gaps
Old 12-26-2002, 05:49 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: New 454 for me - Max Seal (GDaina)

I have heard horror stories of the overlapping tangs breaking on the gapless rings and trashing the cylinder bore.When I did the 406 I hand filed the end gap to .020 as per my machinists recommendation. High horse engines get hot and the last thing you want is the ends of the rings to touch when they heat up and expand. The loss of torque due to blow by is so small it's hardly worth the expense of the gapless rings.Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:57 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My motor was built with gapless rings. It has been shown in several magazines to add around 15hp and 15 ft lb on an engine such as mine. I've read you shouldn't use N2O with gapless rings but I have for 4 years now with no apparent adverse effects. Car actually has improved on et and mph each year.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:21 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No clue, I endgapped my rings and purchased the type JE recomended.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:04 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: New 454 for me - Max Seal (smokin75-427)

The term "gapless" is defined differently depending on manufacturer. Some have the overlapping "tangs" (old design) at the ring gap, some do not... they have a "rail" resembling an oil ring rail which sits under the standard "gap" ring. The combination of a gap type ring plus the rail both installed in a single groove, with their gaps opposite each other, in effect, give you a "gapless" ring. These do not have a "tang" that can break off.

I have used the "gapless" rings (misnomer sort of) with the secondary rail for quite a while on many engines and have not had a problem with any of them. The "gap" ring in these applications still has to be filed/gapped in the standard manner if the gap is too close. The rail must be checked as well, but the rail gap is usually so large that it is not a consideration.

Old 12-27-2002, 09:52 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New 454 for me - Max Seal (Tom454)

Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to decide whether to go with their TS1 set (2nd ring gapless) or the MaxSeal (top ring gapless). My engine builder is a fan of the gapless, but has only experience w/ the TS1 set. He feels the MaxSeal set has not been out long enough to know how it acts. In spite of that and since Total Seal is heavily recommending the MaxSeal set, the little voice in my head is saying "Just because its new doesn't mean its not better..."

I know, I know... I should just listen to the engine builder and his experience and go w/ the safe route for my new engine... :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To New 454 for me - Max Seal (gapless) Rings????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 454 for me - Max Seal (gapless) Rings????