C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another answer to the CenterForce setting

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 04:37 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Default Another answer to the CenterForce setting

For those that have new centerforce clutches you know of the clutch rod travel issues. The solution for most of you has been to install an adustable ball stud in the bellhousing and maybe tack weld it in position. I will have to do this in the future too and was told yesterday of another way.

My brother in law just finished a 63 SWC that he put a ZZ4 and Centerforce in. This car was at the chicago show last month if any of you attended. He found from the vette shop he worked with that a BB "z" bar will fit and no change was needed from the original ball stud.
Did anyone else hear of this? I didn't realize there was a difference between the 2 "Z'bars but he said the angle of the inner arm was different.
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 4:39 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 04:49 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Another answer to the CenterForce setting (gtr1999)

That will cure your clutch travel issue but not your fork/pressure plate geomotry issue. I did not follow the 'orange card instructons' and may be having some geometry issues. Better to make sure the fork is aligned properly to avoid pressure plate issues. I am yanking my engine this winter and plan on following the instructions when I put a 5-speed in.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Another answer to the CenterForce setting (Fevre)

:seeya gary!

ttt
Old 12-20-2002, 08:45 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Another answer to the CenterForce setting (gtr1999)

Not quite sure that is the answer.

If you think about it, the fork is in the same position for small and big blocks. The pedal travel would be the same. So why different angle for the Z bar?

I went with the adjustable ball and it solved all my problems. I thought about redrilling the Z, but it would need to be ground because it is too hard to drill.

Terry
Old 12-20-2002, 09:24 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Default Re: Another answer to the CenterForce setting (trw)

Well I'm not sure that's the answer either but I would like to see the BB bar to compare. The shop that did this is a vette restoration shop so they had the two bars there. He said it shifts perfectly and the adjustment ends up in the middle of the clutch rod. I probably won't get to that job for a while so I'll have some time to investigate it more.

Hey Corey, how's the 69 coupe? Last I heard you were thinking of re-painting it?

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Another answer to the CenterForce setting

Quick Reply: Another answer to the CenterForce setting