C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 11:38 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default True Duals Installation

Was wondering if anyone installed the true dual exhaust from Mid America and how did the installation go? I have an 80 and was wondering if its a nightmare or just a bolt on operation.... Thanks.... :smash:
Old 12-19-2002, 11:50 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: True Duals Installation (Rich80)

I would assume it is just a bolt on. I think they still had all the hangers for true dual.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:11 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: True Duals Installation (Schmucker)

I put true dual chambered pipes from Mid-Am on my '76 2 yrs ago and they fit like a glove............. :D :D :D
Old 12-20-2002, 05:36 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the '80 the same as the '81 in that the crossmember hasn't got holes for the exhausts? If so the sysrem is an OK fit. The d.side fit straight on & was bang on position. Had a bit of trouble with the P.side in that the pipe ended slightly to far outboard, pushing the muffler to the side. I cut a bit off of the end of the pipe so that the muffler sat in the correct position. Fitting Monza mufflers showed up the problem again in that the p.side one pointed inwards. Loosening off the pipes & a bit of jiggling :smash: sorted it out. Sig pic below to show results.
Two things to consider are:
1. The exhaust hanger no longer fits (used to hold the "Y" pipe). I used a couple of rubber exhaust hangers from a F*rd & large hose clamps to hold the duals in the same position as the original hanger did.
2. Fit the system loosely in place before bolting it all up. Make sure that there is no tension on the manifolds if you've got the tubular type, as they will split if under a lot of strain.
You'll love the sound of the system (even with stock mufflers it sounds good) & you'll also feel an increase in power. I get a lot of popping (loud bangs with Monzas fitted!) on deceleration, but think that's because I haven't got an "H" or "X" pipe fitted.
:cheers:
Old 12-20-2002, 06:40 AM
914eener
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: True Duals Installation (UKPaul)

They fit perfectly and are no problem at all to install. Really perks up the torgue too.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:38 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

I installed the Mid America true dual kit on my '81 along with new mufflers and elbows made by my local muffler shop, using the originals as a template.
I agree with UKPaul, assemble system with a loose fit and make sure all is as you want before proceeding to tighten any of the system up. The sound difference is much greater in my estimation, than the performance difference. Sounds great with my 2 1/2 " in and out Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:35 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: True Duals Installation (john's '81 mouse)

I can't seem to find Dynomax Super Turbo's for my '69 with 2 1/2 " IN and OUT - are they available or did you have them altered?

Thanks, Paul
Old 12-20-2002, 02:55 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Default Re: True Duals Installation (pws69)

Quote: "I can't seem to find Dynomax Super Turbo's for my '69 with 2 1/2 " IN and OUT - are they available or did you have them altered?"

Paul, strange as it may sound, I bought my offset 2 1/2" in and out Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers from a local auto parts store called "Jockos". Jockos is a chain here in the midwest, and I know they have a large wharehouse in Kansas City. Price was very reasonable when I purchased a couple of years ago, and as I remember, was around $30 apiece.

I have the receipts and part numbers at home in my big three ring binder full of corvette reciepts and invoices, maybe I can remember to look up this evening and email you from home with the dynomax part numbers.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:21 PM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: True Duals Installation (914eener)

They fit perfectly and are no problem at all to install. Really perks up the torgue too.
:iagree:

If you want to see some pics of them installed, let me know.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:06 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: True Duals Installation

Has anyone tried switching to an older x-member? Or maybe a better question is, would it be worth trying? (I have one in my garage, but haven't looked at the complexities of installing it yet.)

Get notified of new replies

To True Duals Installation

Quick Reply: True Duals Installation