C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes

I would like to go with a set of Side Pipes on my Vette. But I'm having trouble finding what I want. I don’t want the covered type, It’s just not the look I'm after. I need them to go from the 3" single exhaust pipes from the Turbos and transition into the diameter of the Hookers, which I think is 4". I want them to look like Mike's "Smokedtires" but without the 4 into 1 merge. Now how do I do this? Does anyone make the single 90-degree turn with a transition or would I have to make them? Or is there a kit and I just haven't found it? :crazy:

Man his car looks awesome :thumbs:

Here is a pic of my turbos. I will have a 3" exhaust out of each turbo.

And here is where they will be mounted...

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 2:51 AM 12/20/2002]

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 2:58 AM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 09:52 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes (Stingraycrazy)

man. cant you just get a nice under car exaust? jeez! :crazy: :lol: :jester

i have no idea how to get what you want, but i think sidepipes would be a bad idea. i would bet that a 3" undercar exaust with some Flo40s would flow better. but this is only from what ive read, so dont take my gold-plated word for it.:D
Old 12-19-2002, 10:06 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes ('79ProwlerOrange)

Yea I thought about that Ben, but I'm running allot of hoses / tubing down the frame rails for oil and fuel (Heat Issue) and I think it would be easier with the tranny support I'm building not to have the pipes in the way. But for the most part I just love the L@@k's! I agree with you on the Flow Masters they flow and sound awesome! :crazy:
Old 12-19-2002, 10:08 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to go with a set of Side Pipes on my Vette. But I'm having trouble finding what I want. I don’t want the covered type, It’s just not the look I'm after. I need them to go from the 3" single exhaust pipes from the Turbos and transition into the diameter of the Hookers, which I think is 4". I want them to look like Mike's "Smokedtires" but without the 4 into 1 merge. Now how do I do this? Does anyone make the single 90-degree turn with a transition or would I have to make them? Or is there a kit and I just haven't found it? :crazy:

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 2:58 AM 12/20/2002]
Stingray, try Stahl here: http://www.stahlheaders.com/Web115P_1.html

They sell the entire header with the side tubes, but I guess you don't need the header part, just the side tubes and elbow?

-Joe

[Modified by Flareside, 10:09 PM 12/19/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 10:18 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes (Flareside)

Well frank, i have to admit, if it wernt illegal to have sidepipes on mine, they would already be there. i love the looks of sidepipes. and SmokedTires' car looks great.

BTW that turbo setup you have looks great. also i have been a little busy at work, so no personal calls. :( what time are you avalable tomorrow?
Old 12-19-2002, 10:27 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

One word of caution on using a full 4" pipe under the frame. You will have seriously reduced ground clearance. I have the stahl headers and ran them out to side dumps using all 3" pipe. I then tee'd in a side pipe from above the pipe to get back up to sidepipe height. Looks was not a pressing issue since I covered them 69 style f/g covers.

The four to one Hookers only hang about an inch and a half below the frame.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 12-19-2002, 11:18 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I had an interesting idea for sidepipes. Allow me to explain and you guys to tell me how it wouldn't work :D

The red lines show the pipes under the car from the headers. They would run out the side from normal headers or whatnot. You could also put any muffler or cat or whatever under the car that you may need. It exits in the normal sidepipe exit location, just in front of the wheel. The blue lines represent a fake tube that would be bolted on the side with a perfect cut on it that lines up exactly with the real exhaust so it looks like normal sidepipes. It could easily unbolt allowing easy access to the underside/framerail/whathaveyou. It also wouldn't get hot and burn you like sidepipes. This design would also provide better flow as you don't have any 90 degree bends. The front of the fake tubes would be bent under the car also for full effect. I haven't crawled under the car to check and see how feasibly it really is, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

This idea Copyright of Schmucker/Derek, so don't steal it, but I'll take 10% of your gross profits if anyone wants to sell it :D
Old 12-20-2002, 12:15 AM
lason
Instructor

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes (Schmucker)

Why not go to JC Whitney. They have the universal type side pipes in different lengths with a 90 degree at the front and they are cheap as hell.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:59 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes (Flareside)

FlareSide, Thanks for the link. I'll check with Stahl and see what they can offer for a 90 or transition.

Ben, I'm on a work assignment in Iowa so just ring anytime on the cell. I'll make time for Corvette talk :thumbs:

Rolling Thunder, your right, I guess I could come out with the 3" and step up to the 4" on the outside with the transition. Also I wonder how a 3" would look with a 4" heat shield?

Schmucker, That was my first Idea with a NASCAR type square exhaust instead of the fake pipes you sugested. Good Idea BTW. But I'm worried about heat issues with the pipes crossing under the frame rails next to my oil / fuel lines... Maybe I'm just being ****. Naa, I know I am...

Lason JC Whitney? Is the chrome any good on those? I'll check em out and see what they look like. Is anyone using them on the forum you know of?
Old 12-20-2002, 01:27 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

You could just buy a ton of exhaust wrap and do the whole thing.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:58 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes (Schmucker)

I had an interesting idea for sidepipes. Allow me to explain and you guys to tell me how it wouldn't work
Schmucker,

The only problem, and it is a big one, is ground clearance. Such a design doesn't allow for a muffler of any kind. Camaro's and others have used this design getting the pipes out from under the car infront of the rear tires for years and it works, but you need to jack up the car. You could use 4" pipe and squash it to only 2" high without losing most of the area of the 4" pipe.

The Hooker side pipes work because the frame is actually a little bit higher off the ground where it comes out behind the front wheels. The pipes are also lined up side by side so it only requires the width of the primary tubes to clear, in my case 2.125". As the collector runs along the side it is no lower than the frame side rails. But at the back of the side rails, you would have to sit at least 2" higher if you used my suggestion.

Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 12:02 AM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 08:28 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I have Stahl's in my car and I have 3,5 collector and there on I have made custom 4" side pipes with JCL Baffles.

Here's the link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=392021
Old 12-20-2002, 11:42 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes

I'm a big fan of sidepipes myself and plan to install them this winter as well. LAst summer I even bought a new pair of chrome repro sidepipe covers from Paragon, almost $2200 for the pair of chrome covers and mounting hardware. After looking into the available muffler options for them (pre-JCL) I sold them on eBay becuase I could find a muffler that would totally kill power due to restrictive flow. As you know, turbos do not like exhaust backpressure.

My current plan is to do something similar to what you are proposing. When I build my headers and downpipes, I put a v-band clamp at the end of the downpipe, which is about 3' long from the turbine. The v-band clamp is located right at the front of each footwell. My plan was to purchase some 3" titanium pipe from http://www.burnsstainless.com and u-bends and fabricate a set of single 3" side pipes my self. I can TIG weld the sections of u-bends to direct the exhaust from the downpipe to the straight horizontal sidepipes. I will then polish the weld beads down for a smooth seamless appearance. For the turned out tip, just section a u-bend to provide the right turn out and opening angle.

I have also thought about the NAscar style exhaust, using a long narrow rectangular fabrication to provide good exhaust flow with minimal reduction in ground clearance. I just ordered a 36" metal brake for some other things I'm going to fabricate (brake and radiator/cooler ducting, belly pan,rear diffuser, etc) and could use it to create the Nascar style exhaust as well.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes (Chuck Harmon)

Schmucker quoted: You could just buy a ton of exhaust wrap and do the whole thing
Yea, I could but I think it would look bad after a few thousand miles or so and I'd want to replace it. I just like the look of Mike's pipes with the shields.

Chuck, you have a good Idea about the oval 4" pipe. Does anyone know of a place that sells a 4" oval with a 90 degree radius? I think that would give me the clearance I need under the frame rail and then transition to the 4" round on the outside into the tubes. Basically it would be the same as a large primary tube header pipe for clearance under the frame... Thanks

Jay, I like your set-up but it does look to be pretty close to the ground. What do you think about and oval 90 degree and then back to 4" round at the tubes? :crazy:
Old 12-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes (Monty)

Monty, have you seen a set of 3" pipes on a Vette? I was worried about the pipes looking to small or out of place... I agree with you, the 3" pipes would be the best and most efficient way to go for sure. Another good point I believe would be the lower cost over buying a set of tubes from Hooker and then fabricating everything else...
Old 12-20-2002, 01:08 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys, I was reading this post and remembered a company in the back of Hot Rod I think that sells oval tubing for exhaust. They even sell the transition piece from round to oval. I can't remember the name of the company, but try skimming through the adds in a Hot Rod or Rod and Custom. It was one of the ads in the back. I'm sure you could also run a search on the net. Also, I know they sell bends in oval. I'm planning on a turbo setup for my Camaro, and this is the same type of idea I had. Nice job on the turbo setup. :cheers:
Old 12-20-2002, 01:12 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

hey frank! im at work now, but i left your cell # at home, could you email that to me again? also i spoke with my friend and he is interested in the manifold. he just bought a crate 5.7 longblock and needs an intake, but inst 100% sure about a turbo setup. but he did say he knew a guy that could get turbos cheap. so well see how it all goes. what size turbo was on that heavy chevy? sorry to get OT. :blush: :D

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes

Old 12-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

StingrayCrazy,

Burns stainless sells oval pipes and oval-to-round transitions.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:17 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes ('79ProwlerOrange)

Ben, check your Email...

Thanks Monty... :crazy:
Old 12-20-2002, 08:34 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Hey Frank, I just wish I could have the turbos between the engine & pipes like your working towards :yesnod: .

I"ll see how the new engine works out 1st before we go looking for more power ;) . :steering:

Quick Reply: Question about Twin Turbos with Side Pipes