C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission tunnel insulation

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 08:38 PM
jbroughton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission tunnel insulation

OK, my 4 speed has to come out this winter for new synchros. I noticed that my car does not have the tunnel insulation or the foam collar. Would this be a worthwhile investment while I have it apart? Does it make a lot of difference in the amount of interior heat? My '69 is like an oven in the summer. I've already bought some insulation to go under the carpet, but I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to go ahead and put this around the tranny too.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-19-2002, 08:44 PM
Johns vette
Advanced

Default Re: Transmission tunnel insulation (jbroughton)

I didn't have the tunnel insulation either. When I insulated the floorboards I also put some over the tranny hump. Yes it helps with the heat. It's almost comfortable to drive in the summer now. Just kidding, it is comfortable. :seeya
Old 12-19-2002, 08:47 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes you should use the tunnel insulation. And while you're at it put the insulation collar that goes over the bellhousing and seals the tunnel just behind the engine. This stops heat from traveling down the tunnel and will help the tunnel insulation work better. Make sure your lower shift boot isn't torn and that it seals tightly to the floor. A lot of heat can come through a torn boot.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:04 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Oh Gawd Yes!!! I just replace my insulation and I can't believe the difference an intact layer of insulation makes in the tranny tunnel.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:23 AM
jbroughton
Racer

Default Re: Transmission tunnel insulation (vettfixr)

Thanks for the replies everybody. I figured it was probably a good investment. And Vettfixr, thanks for the tip about the lower shift boot. I hadn't even thought about that, and I'm sure mine has probably never been replaced. I'll check that before placing my parts order!

Jeff
Old 12-20-2002, 08:34 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Insulate above and below the trans tunnel. Replace the clutch rod boot. Remove carpet, lift the car on jackstands, have a friend wave a drop light under the car, close any hole where you see light, completely insulate below carpet with one of several products previously discussed in numerous threads on this topic.
Install reflective tape on engine side of evaporator/ fan box - especially if you have headers.
Even after all this, you will still be hot unless you install manual cut off valves on both water lines serving the heater.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:39 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Also a quick note don't overlook the sliders when you rebuild the tranny. It causes tight gear engagement.
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 12:41 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 03:45 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: Transmission tunnel insulation (flynhi)

"Even after all this, you will still be hot unless you install manual cut off valves on both water lines serving the heater."

Is this true?? I thought that a shut off was only needed on the 5/8" line to the heater core??
Old 12-20-2002, 03:52 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Transmission tunnel insulation (l2vette)

My experience was that, after a while, hot water will back flow and/or mix with the water in the return line. So I valved them both off and now have cool feet!
Old 12-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Transmission tunnel insulation (flynhi)

Heater? Who needs extra heat in a 'vette cockpit anyway. Just pull the hoses off and put caps on the manifold and intake ports. :D
My heater core is leaking, and although I have a new one ready to go in, but gathering enough mental fortitude to tear into the dash to do the job is the tough part.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:08 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Transmission tunnel insulation (Smokehouse69)

I am like smokehouse, got the new heater core, waiting to install someday. :lol:
Old 12-23-2002, 11:46 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Transmission tunnel insulation (LT1driver)

My heater core started leaking (on my new carpet :mad :mad ) so I just by-passed it and now my interior is a lot cooler. I will probally never replace the heater core unless my cold natured wife asks me too. When I installed my engine, I replaced my old tunnel insulation because about 3/4 of it was missing and it seemed to make a little difference. In the summer I just put my top down and even though it is hot as :reddevil I am still cool driving around a classic :cool: :cool: :cool:
John
Old 12-24-2002, 03:34 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Transmission tunnel insulation (theandies)

I am going to put in new insulation this winter, is there a brand that is also better for sound insulation as well. I know, what is a guy with a 490 hp vert. doing looking for sound insulation - I am planning on building a C2 coupe and every coupe that I have been in, including a new C5 FRC has been louder than 'ell inside, just want to cut down on the hollowness of it all. :cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 05:03 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Transmission tunnel insulation (gdh)

Go to my website at this link for an article on insulating the cockpit. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page14.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission tunnel insulation

Quick Reply: Transmission tunnel insulation