C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Tub

Old 12-19-2002, 08:17 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Spare Tire Tub

What is the easiest way to get the lower tub off?

How or what do you use to loosen the two bolts.

Thanks
Terry
Old 12-19-2002, 08:23 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spare Tire Tub (trw)

mine was empty so i just tore it out. not litterally. i just went at each bolt, lowering the bottom piece 1st and then the top. couldnt relly tell you the steps, because i just went at it. i did make sure to hold one had firm in the middle so it wouldnt fall on me, but its fiberglass so even if it did it wouldnt hurt.

missed the 2nd part, there should be a spot in the rear crossmember where you can get a wrench in to hold the nut on the top. then use a socket wrench to get the bottom. :cheers:

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 6:25 PM 12/19/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 09:45 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Terry- it's pretty easy to remove, try this page for a few pictures on my removal. It's an 81 but should give you some help.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:45 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Spare Tire Tub ('79ProwlerOrange)

Prowler

Thanks, my bolts seem to be oval. Guess an open end wrench would work.

Shark Tank
Thanks, my lower tub is a little different, as in the bolts go to the frame and you can not get a socket on them. Great pics of the gas tank removal. That is what I am doing. Build sheet removal

Terry

[Modified by trw, 6:53 PM 12/19/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 10:27 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 520 Likes on 350 Posts

On my '75, the top of the bolt where it goes into the crossmember is an 11/16" hex. Originally there was some crud on it that obscured the hex part but a wire brush made short work of that.

I just soaked mine in penetrating oil for a day or so then they came loose right away. The nuts are welded into the inside of the crossmember.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:29 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Spare Tire Tub (SteveG75)

come to think of it, i may have just broke my bolt to get it out. i wont be using the tire carrier. i want a 30+ gallon tank. sorry
Old 12-20-2002, 12:18 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Terry, I'm trying to remember back when I pulled mine out but I don't remember having to get a wrench above the frame. There's the oval part at the bottom that actually holds the carrier bottom then there should be a nut on the shaft that you should be able to turn to actually get the bolt out. I thought it was going to be a real pain to get mine out after that many years but they came out without a problem. I can't remember if there is an actual nut above the bolts that it threads into or if it threaded into the frame, in either case I didn't have to mess with anything besides the nut on the rod.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 12-20-2002, 03:17 AM
tippi58
Racer

Just had mine out and put it back in last week after I powdercoated some bits and new sway bar and strut bushings were fitted..:smash:

The tub bolts are right at the top where it goes into the x member. They are quite long and 11/16". The whole support arm and bolt dont come out of the tub as the bottom "oval" pice is what hold the tub in at the front.

Support the tub with a jack and AFTER taking the spare out.

You may need to drop the exhausts down 1/2" on the hangers to manoever the tub out as it was a tightish fit on my twin exhaust system.

Check the lower front of the tub as it can crack here with time & weight. I fibreglassed the crack on mine inside and also put fibre and resin on the outside, sanded it and it looks pretty good.

The top of the tub is just bolted straight to the undertray by 4 smaller bolts.

Take it off and give it a clean. Its just lightweight plastic.

With the tub out its a great time to put in new sway bar bushings as access is no problems.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 12-20-2002, 09:55 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping there was a nut that I didn't see to get the lower tub off.

It will be off this morning.

Terry
Old 12-20-2002, 10:36 AM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Spare Tire Tub (SteveG75)

On my '75, the top of the bolt where it goes into the crossmember is an 11/16" hex. Originally there was some crud on it that obscured the hex part but a wire brush made short work of that.

I just soaked mine in penetrating oil for a day or so then they came loose right away. The nuts are welded into the inside of the crossmember.
Same thing on my '71. I just removed this the other day as well. It's a bit of a reach to get up there but mine broke loose very easily...

Get notified of new replies

To Spare Tire Tub

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spare Tire Tub