C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New / first corvette questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Default New / first corvette questions (first post!)

I am thinking about buying my first Corvette. This car will spend about 10% of its time on the track but I want to build more for the track than the street (I am about 5 miles from Summit Point racetrack). Can someone give me info on my best choice for a track / street car in the 68 – 74 year range? Honestly I hated it when the Corvette lost the front bumper, but I have seen some pretty good deals on 73 & 74 cars. I am wondering how heavy C3s are. What changes were made year to year etc. What is available as far as brake upgrades? What wheel / tire sizes will fit on a car in this year range? What is the CR rating? Is lift at speed an issue? Is there a good upgrade path for the seats? The stock C3 seats that I have seen look like they might not hold you in the car very well in a turn. Sorry for all the questions, but if I am going to do this I want to start right.

[Modified by Bud Gordon, 12:56 PM 12/19/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 06:30 PM
dgruenke
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: New / first corvette questions (Bud Gordon)

Just a little note on the model year range that you posted. Sure, the chrome bumbers are nice and have more horsepower; but, if you are planning on taking it to the strip, you might want to get a mid-70's. The reason is that when you buy an older Corvette, you are paying a premium for the larger engines and horsepower. If you are planning on modifying the engine yourself, you can produce just as much horsepower with the mid-70's and spend less money. If you try to modify the higher horsepower engines, you are going to depreciate the value of the car.

In general, the weight of the cars increase with each year. There is a difference of a few hundred pounds between 1968 and 1974.

Tire sizes will be about the same for most of the years.

Just some food for thought.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:21 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: New / first corvette questions (dgruenke)

Here is a pic of the car you want!! :lol:

do you mean road course? (As opposed to dragstrip?) There are a few guys on this board racing their cars on a roadcourse. Many more go to the dragstrip. You might need to start a more specific topic to find the roadcourse racers. My 68 weighs around 3600 lbs with me and some gas in it (I weigh about 185 with some gas in me). :) MJ
Old 12-19-2002, 08:28 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New / first corvette questions (MNJack)

(I weigh about 185 with some gas in me). :) MJ
:lol: i didnt expect that. :lol: :lol:
Old 12-19-2002, 11:54 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New / first corvette questions (Bud Gordon)

The non-power seats from 78-82 will fit in the earlier cars. They have raised sides and I've done some pretty fast turns without moving in the seat.

Get notified of new replies

To New / first corvette questions

Quick Reply: New / first corvette questions