C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions

Old 12-19-2002, 07:30 AM
TMCADAMS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions

I am still learning and looking for my dream old corvette. Just trying to gather some information. I am looking at a 71 bone stock. My question is I live in Metro Atlanta where we have to have an Emissions sticker every year. Will it be a problem to pass an emissions test with an original car? A 71 should have a smog pump? Would there be any modifications I would have to do the engine? I am not sure if any cars are exempt like if you have a hobby or classic tag if that would make you exempt. Any input to this would be apper appreciated.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:18 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Emissions (TMCADAMS)

Check your state laws. I don't think there should be any problem with a '71. A '75 and up could be an issue since that was the year the emissions requirements went up (and cats were installed). Sometimes if the vehicle is over 30 or 25 years old it doesn't need to be checked also.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:58 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Emissions (TMCADAMS)

Cars over 25 years old are exempt from emission testing in GA. The only problem you might have is that a shop could refuse to work on your car it it does not have Federally mandated emission equipment on the vehicle. If found in there shop by the Feds during a random check, they could receive a substantial fine.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:04 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Emissions (Bobchad)

Cars over 25 years old are exempt from emission testing in GA.
Same thing here in Texas, no emission testing for cars 25 years old or older. But they can still get you on the safety inspection. They do a visual inspection for the emission equipment. If it is missing you flunk the safety inspection. They do not check that it is working, just that it is there.

tom...
Old 12-19-2002, 09:47 AM
flood
Race Director

Default Re: Emissions (Tom73)

I have a 75 and it can get classic plates. Here in Colorado you only have to pass 1 emissions test with classic plates then you don't have to anymore. You just renew the tags every 5 years with no test.

Just found this out last month. Time for headers, true duals, no cats and a supercharger. :cheers:
Old 12-19-2002, 09:57 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Emissions (flood)

Just be aware that having classic plates does not exempt you from Federal emissions requirements; it just exempts you from the inspections. The Feds still expect you to have the originally issued emissions equipment on the car. In typical government fashion it doesn't have to work, and it can make the car a bigger polluter because of this, but the buearacracy (sp) require it to be there.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Emissions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Emissions