C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Fuel Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 11:07 PM
Mark78VetteL-82
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Fuel Problem???

ok i m new here first of all. i have a 78 vette L-82 with and auto tranny. When i stomp on the gas and the 4 barrel opens up after a few seconds it seems to run out of gas. the motor will almost snub out it is sooo bad? it has the quadrajet carb on it. what kind of remedy do i have this problem and has anyone had this problem??? Mark
Old 12-18-2002, 11:17 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Possible Fuel Problem??? (Mark78VetteL-82)

First thing is to check the fuel filter in the carb. Just change it for good measure.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:24 PM
Mark78VetteL-82
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had the air cleaner off and the filter out. i took the spring out of the carb to see if that would help but it didnt. Mark
Old 12-19-2002, 05:56 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Well a couple of thoughts here and remember that's carb been sitting around for 25 years. So, has it ever been rebuilt? Secondly, the shop manual suggests a thorough cleaning of the entire fuel system from carb to tank which is rather extensive. I just finished browsing through the 78 shop manual and the troubleshooting section. This can help.

There are some great carb books that will guide you through a rebuild process and this may be the best method to clear up your problem. I guess what I'm saying is that if your carb has been rebuilt...it's probably time and in the process will clear up the bogg problem.

I had my carb rebuilt in 95 and the 78 runs great. They guys were good that did the work and were able to tweak it better than when it rolled out of the factory.

Now having said all that I will tell you my 90 had a similar problem. It would idle fine but when I jumped on it...it would stall. I figured out that a distributor wire was loose and the clip had broken off. Over time it would loosen and when I jumped on it...loose its connection causing electrical connection to disconnect and cause the stall...so I guess my point is check around and make sure it's not something else that is simple to diagnose.

Keep us posted.

Old 12-19-2002, 10:27 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Mark,
I had a similar problem. Turns out that the carbs accel pump had swolen in its bore and would no longer function properly. Cheap fix.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:22 PM
dgruenke
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Possible Fuel Problem??? (Stewart's74)

I agree, sounds like the accelerator pump. They wear out because they are only as good as their rubber plunger. A sure indication that it is going out is when you can accelerate slow to moderate with no problems, but when you try to "open it up" by stomping on it, it bogs down for a few seconds.

Quadrajet rebuild kits are inexpensive. Most Quadrajet kits come with the accelerator pump. Furthermore, as difficult as the rebuilding diagrams make it appear, rebuilding one of these is not too difficult.

Good Success.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Fuel Problem???

Quick Reply: Possible Fuel Problem???